[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VicRattlehead

Re: [UPDATED 01/10/2011] Salvo Jettison, NOW WITH EXTRA FAT!

Post by VicRattlehead »

A tiny suggestion concerning the powerglove, could you remove the 'magnetic' effect it has when you use it on the enemy? It makes sense for Doom's chainsaw to have it because of friction and such, getting the chainsaw stuck in flesh and bone, but the powerglove shoots electricity.

Also, the inventory icons (the medkit) replaces the HUD face. I believe this is the default behavior of ZDoom, yes? Anyway, there's a lot more room in the status bar, perhaps putting the inventory icon there instead of replacing the HUD face will be better.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

I'm back! :mrgreen:

The sword parts don't seem to assemble. Been playing twilight.wad, and I think I've killed three Cyberdemons so far. Each gave a sword piece but I still don't have it complete. (That's three halfs! :mrgreen: ) Although for some reason I feel three is a better number anyway. Two seems a little weird. Then again, not all wads have Cyberdemons, so I dunno.
rsl

Post by rsl »

A tiny suggestion concerning the powerglove, could you remove the 'magnetic' effect it has when you use it on the enemy? It makes sense for Doom's chainsaw to have it because of friction and such, getting the chainsaw stuck in flesh and bone, but the powerglove shoots electricity.
Sounds reasonable... Done! :)
Also, the inventory icons (the medkit) replaces the HUD face. I believe this is the default behavior of ZDoom, yes? Anyway, there's a lot more room in the status bar, perhaps putting the inventory icon there instead of replacing the HUD face will be better.
Yeah, for the fullscreen statusbar that's true - and I added a tiny red-cross indicator on the bottom right, that activates only when you have at least one first-aid kit. Though for the standard statusbar, it is actually already full and I would leave it as-is... :wink:
The sword parts don't seem to assemble. Been playing twilight.wad, and I think I've killed three Cyberdemons so far. Each gave a sword piece but I still don't have it complete.
Heh heh... Too easy, my friend! :D You have to kill at least one Necrodemon (Cyberdemon replacement) and one Rotten Mastermind (Spider Mastermind replacement), since each one gives you a different half of the weapon... By winning over three Necrodemons, you always gained the same sword piece each time! Try playing DOOM2 map 20 and you'll see...
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Noticed that the chaingun still gives a bit of muzzle climb when you fire it without ammo left. It also suffers from the same bug as the powerglove I mentioned previously -- it only alerts enemies upon the initial firing of the weapon.

Also, I suggest to give it an alt fire similar to that of the minigun in Team Fortress 2, holding alt fire will make you keep the barrels spinning to ready the weapon so you can start firing it right away. Of course that should come with a disadvantage, it should constantly alert enemies and if that's not enough, I'll leave it up to you to think of something.

One more suggestion, how about making the berserk pack affect the alt fire of the cryogenizer?
Last edited by VicRattlehead on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Ooohh ok. Now if only a Spidey would appear.

I found out that if you're able to get on top of barrel objects (whether you jump or simply land on them from above) the barrel explodes and will send you flying in the air, TF rocket jump style. The explosion also doesn't hurt you if you do this.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Noticed that the chaingun still gives a bit of muzzle climb when you fire it without ammo left. It also suffers from the same bug as the powerglove I mentioned previously -- it only alerts enemies upon the initial firing of the weapon.
Right! Fixed.
Also, I suggest to give it an alt fire similar to that of the minigun in Team Fortress 2, holding alt fire will make you keep the barrels spinning to ready the weapon so you can start firing it right away. Of course that should come with a disadvantage, it should constantly alert enemies and if that's not enough, I'll leave it up to you to think of something.
I actually thought about this long ago, but then I relented since I thought it wouldn't have been possible. Yet your request made me try, and this time I think I have succeeded... :)
The only difference being that you start/stop the rotor with a single altfire keypress.
One more suggestion, how about making the berserk pack affect the alt fire of the cryogenizer?
Done.
I found out that if you're able to get on top of barrel objects (whether you jump or simply land on them from above) the barrel explodes and will send you flying in the air, TF rocket jump style. The explosion also doesn't hurt you if you do this.
I tried it, and found it damaging. However, since the classic DOOM behaviour is to have the player walk on them harmlessly, I checked and fixed this (it turned out that barrels were not immune to stomp damage dealt by the player, normally used only for desized enemies :!:).
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Well my armor was at like 300, but still, I wonder why I wasn't getting hurt. I didn't know there was a thing such as stomp damage. BTW, are you supposed to be able to drop pipe bombs, cause I can't seem to.
rsl

Post by rsl »

BTW, are you supposed to be able to drop pipe bombs, cause I can't seem to.
No. Tubular bombs, the Iron Hand and your knuckledusters(*) are the only weapons that do not account for the final weight.

(*) If Salvo was actually Zharkov, this would have been questionable... :D
rsl

[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Post by rsl »

Alright guys,

now on IDGames you should have the much-fixed version of the mod. This one includes fixation for almost all of the bug notifications raised in the thread, and a couple feats that were requested.
Below is the detailed list of fixes/changes, as appearing in the textfile:
Spoiler:
As usual, the download link on the first post is the one to go for.
Enjoy! :D
VicRattlehead

Re: [MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Post by VicRattlehead »

Picking up the berserk hides the ammo count of the cryogenizer in the duration of its effect
Firing the collider and holding fire as its ammo runs out allows you to keep firing for an unlimited number of green plasma shots
The override gun's alt fire rotor sound only alerts enemies upon initiation and doesn't continuously alert them, which I think was supposed to be the intention
rsl

Post by rsl »

Hey, you really are a monster of a tester and bugfinder! :D I wonder how you manage to find them so fast and accurately...
Anyway, right observations. I have addressed the bugs and created a fixed version which I will silently re-upload to /IDGames as soon as possible...
Picking up the berserk hides the ammo count of the cryogenizer in the duration of its effect
Yeah, I did notice that too during my playthrough of DOOM 2: Unleashed (which works great with this, BTW). I suspect it's related to the Cryogenizer altfire being affected by berserk too - since the berserk for Salvo is actually a Tome Of Power, and a powered copy of the Cryogenizer weapon is exploited when the powerup is active, the HUD must be triggered on the superweapon too. Gotta check that! (*)

(*) I was actually going to write that I thought it was unfixable, and then it suddenly hit me! :idea: :D
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

I only noticed something about the shotgun now.

Upon firing only one round and reloading, the spent casing of the fired round doesn't get ejected and we're left to assume that it just vanished. I don't know how you would go around to addressing this, given the strange nature of the hybrid shotgun, I don't even fully grasp how it's supposed to work. You could make reloading only possible when both chambers are fired and cleared.

Or you could make reloading upon firing one barrel automatically initiate a pump action beforehand that ejects only one casing.

Or you could do the same as above but the unused round from the other chamber gets ejected along with the spent casing but the player will immediately pick up the ejected unused round. The problem with this is how are you going to make the shell show up ejecting from the shotgun like normal but make it disappear soon after to show that the player picked it up? Maybe a custom sprite where the player catches the shell as it flies from the shotgun?

Sounds a little complex for such a small and superficial issue, no?

Also, since I'm posting feedback anyway, I want to talk about the messages in your mod.
First, I suggest you replace the "Already carried" notification with "Already carrying". It's more grammatically sound.
Second, getting the "Already carried" message, obviously by walking over weapons you already own, spams too many repeated message in the console. Could it be made so that the notification is only displayed on the console once, or if that's not possible, then just never? And preferably without the extra red lines too, or whatever they are, because those take up added space in the console.
rsl

Post by rsl »

[...] Upon firing only one round and reloading, the spent casing of the fired round doesn't get ejected and we're left to assume that it just vanished. I don't know how you would go around to addressing this, given the strange nature of the hybrid shotgun, I don't even fully grasp how it's supposed to work. You could make reloading only possible when both chambers are fired and cleared. [...]
Uh, that's true. And all of your suggestions are valid, but I have another (quickier) idea to fix it: when you fire an odd number of shells and then reload, you might have the pumping at the end of the reload sequence to eject that one last shell you still had in the chamber - the shotgun refill system is supposed to inject a new shell where the old one was ejected from. What do you think about it? 8-)
[...] First, I suggest you replace the "Already carried" notification with "Already carrying". It's more grammatically sound.
Second, getting the "Already carried" message, obviously by walking over weapons you already own, spams too many repeated message in the console. Could it be made so that the notification is only displayed on the console once, or if that's not possible, then just never? And preferably without the extra red lines too, or whatever they are, because those take up added space in the console. [...]
I second the grammatical correction! Don't know why I didn't realize about it in the first place... :roll:
About the messages high frequency, I might try to increase the tics duration of the pickup actor blank frame where the message display function is called...
And the red lines in the console, I suppose they are due to the kind of DECORATE call - don't know if they appear for A_Log too, or only for A_Print, but I guess that reducing their frequency would solve this problem, too...

And last but not least: thanks for all the feedback! :D To me, it's really cool that you and others liked the mod so much.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

the mod itself is good but i feel that the pistol is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to under powered. can you make it at least semi auto?
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

danyudanyu0821 wrote:the mod itself is good but i feel that the pistol is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to under powered. can you make it at least semi auto?
I actually feel like the pistol is fine, it remains useful even later on, for picking off infantry, and seems allright to me that way.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”