Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deimos Anomaly

Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES

Finally, and once for all; here's the final ACM update.
This is the last version with the "ACM" name.
After this, i am working on other projects like "Doom Metro".
And of course, i am already planning the continuation of "ACM", this time as a second parth with maybe a different name.
By far i can say it will have a completely reinterpretation of the LV-426 colony map and chapter, aswell a new chapter with his own history and a small coop
map pack.
But "ACM" as we know it, already reached his end.

And here's the link:

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6a ... 305/15f9fd

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aliens-C ... 3078926944

CHANGELOG:
2014 Version
New features:
-New textures
-Aligned and fixed missing textures
-New areas on the first map (E1M1)
-New areas on the second map (E1M2) /extended gameplay
-New areas on the third map (E1M3) /extended gameplay
-New areas on the fourth map (E1M4)
-New grafics and decorations
-New music

Remember, is for UDOOM.
Enjoy it marine!
Last edited by Deimos Anomaly on Sat May 25, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 15 times in total.
SamVision

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC. Released!!!!

Post by SamVision »

Its made by Deimos Anomaly, it has to be mindblowingly good.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

SamVision wrote:Its made by Deimos Anomaly, it has to be mindblowingly good.
Hahahahaha thanks dude! I'm veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery happy with this, so i hope you like it :D
And remember to read the "Survival guide" before play, this TC is very hard :twisted:
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Holy crap this mod is intense. And damn high quality.

Is there any way to disable the dust clouds though? They're really taxing on my system.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

AWESOME!I'm calling out sick tonight :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is a truly impressive mod. You have managed to capture much of the feeling of the movie and some of the official games too. Very nice indeed. It is good fun to play although the maps are quite confusing. Personally, I would have preferred some bigger clues on the key requiring doors to help me identify them (and even some differentiation between the doors that I could use and the ones that were essentially just scenery). The confusion in the maps bordered on frustration at times and I found myself "wall humping" quite a lot just to try and find a door that I could open. If I ever meet the woman who says "access denied" all the time, I think I may just strangle her. ;) I love the skybox, the fast moving clouds and the wind noise. This really captured the correct feel.

It's a tough mod, but definitely worth playing, very atmospheric and very good looking.

A few minor "house keeping" errors/suggestions.

Near the start there are some invisible barriers to stop you wandering off out of the intended play area. This is a a "feature" of many modern games and, IMO, it always screams out "don't immerse your self in this game, it's only a game and you are not meant to go this way". Much better to have a "natural" and visible reason not to go that way (a fence, a pile of boxes, whatever).

Why did you force some of the graphics into the Doom palette? eg, the final piece of original artwork has noticeably been compromised by being forced into the palette. This graphic could easily have been used in its original form. It seems a shame to spoil it by using it this way. Most (all?) of the textures also suffer from this. :(

It would have been nice if you had made the game widescreen compatible (this is especially obvious with the facehugger).

You should have packed the mod properly as a "PK3". Just sticking your WADs into a zip is not the way it is meant to be done and is actually less efficient as far as running the game is concerned.

IMO, you should have gotten someone to check the English in your messages. It's always worth having someone proof read stuff even if you are a native speaker.

The mod is for Doom, but when you start it using doom.wad as an IWAD, yo get a message about a load of missing Doom2 textures.
Spoiler:
Of course, if you run it with Doom2, there are different texture errors, but not as many:
Spoiler:
There are also error messages in the levels too:
Spoiler:
It's always worth checking the console before finalising a mod.

Anyway, regardless of these, it's a good looking, fun, tough, tense mod. :thumb:
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

id like to comment that this is a great great mod, its everything i ever imagined my Aliens mod should be (shows how good the gameplay and balancing is :P)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very very good work (despite the stuff Enjay already mentioned)
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Got a couple bugs to report, both inventory related.

-The quantity of inventory items isn't preserved in level transition. Like if you found two sentry guns in one level, when you enter the next level you only start with one left.
-There are two sets of flare items? The ones you start with and the ones you pick up are separated.

EDIT: Another bug, in the second map, getting some 'p_startscript: unknown script 9' messages after bumping up against one of the doors, probably just another one of those "Access Denied" doors so only a minor issue.

In case the image link dies or something, the coordinates are approximately X: 8190 and Y: 2487
Last edited by VicRattlehead on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

nice deimos, as always.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I would *really* like a manual reload button, please kind sir.

Running dry on a pulse rifle/pistol mag with multiple angry xenos in my face is not fun. Being able to top off the mag between firefights is nice.

Also, I don't like the flashlight being handheld. The colonial marines had shoulder-mounted flashlights, ya know.

Other than that, I approve so hard of this.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

UPDATED!!!! download in the first post!!!!
Enjay wrote:This is a truly impressive mod. You have managed to capture much of the feeling of the movie and some of the official games too. Very nice indeed. It is good fun to play although the maps are quite confusing. Personally, I would have preferred some bigger clues on the key requiring doors to help me identify them (and even some differentiation between the doors that I could use and the ones that were essentially just scenery). The confusion in the maps bordered on frustration at times and I found myself "wall humping" quite a lot just to try and find a door that I could open. If I ever meet the woman who says "access denied" all the time, I think I may just strangle her. ;) I love the skybox, the fast moving clouds and the wind noise. This really captured the correct feel.

It's a tough mod, but definitely worth playing, very atmospheric and very good looking.

A few minor "house keeping" errors/suggestions.

Near the start there are some invisible barriers to stop you wandering off out of the intended play area. This is a a "feature" of many modern games and, IMO, it always screams out "don't immerse your self in this game, it's only a game and you are not meant to go this way". Much better to have a "natural" and visible reason not to go that way (a fence, a pile of boxes, whatever).

Why did you force some of the graphics into the Doom palette? eg, the final piece of original artwork has noticeably been compromised by being forced into the palette. This graphic could easily have been used in its original form. It seems a shame to spoil it by using it this way. Most (all?) of the textures also suffer from this. :(

It would have been nice if you had made the game widescreen compatible (this is especially obvious with the facehugger).

You should have packed the mod properly as a "PK3". Just sticking your WADs into a zip is not the way it is meant to be done and is actually less efficient as far as running the game is concerned.

IMO, you should have gotten someone to check the English in your messages. It's always worth having someone proof read stuff even if you are a native speaker.

The mod is for Doom, but when you start it using doom.wad as an IWAD, yo get a message about a load of missing Doom2 textures.
Spoiler:
Of course, if you run it with Doom2, there are different texture errors, but not as many:
Spoiler:
There are also error messages in the levels too:
Spoiler:
It's always worth checking the console before finalising a mod.

Anyway, regardless of these, it's a good looking, fun, tough, tense mod. :thumb:
Very thanks for your comment! I've waiting for a review like this since i released the tc! :)
I know the first map can be confusing, but is the feeling i can be give with it. Anyway, now i've put a red light on the "gold keycard door" for orientate the new players :D Also i've added few more ammo boxes and medikits in the second level!
Now you can explore the first exterior area (with the APC tank) without the invisible barrels, thanks for this suggestion!!
I need someone who can check my english messages... i'm Spanish and i can't write in a perfect english :roll:
Also i fixed all those missing textures in the maps!!!
Thank you very much :D
Ben2k9 wrote:id like to comment that this is a great great mod, its everything i ever imagined my Aliens mod should be (shows how good the gameplay and balancing is :P)
As i said, this TC can't be possible with your work behind "Aliens TC SE", so thanks to you again :D
Tormentor667 wrote:Very very good work (despite the stuff Enjay already mentioned)
Thanks dude!!
VicRattlehead wrote:Got a couple bugs to report, both inventory related.

-The quantity of inventory items isn't preserved in level transition. Like if you found two sentry guns in one level, when you enter the next level you only start with one left.
-There are two sets of flare items? The ones you start with and the ones you pick up are separated.

EDIT: Another bug, in the second map, getting some 'p_startscript: unknown script 9' messages after bumping up against one of the doors, probably just another one of those "Access Denied" doors so only a minor issue.

In case the image link dies or something, the coordinates are approximately X: 8190 and Y: 2487
Thanks for notice that bugs, now are fixed and updated!!
Big C wrote:I would *really* like a manual reload button, please kind sir.

Running dry on a pulse rifle/pistol mag with multiple angry xenos in my face is not fun. Being able to top off the mag between firefights is nice.

Also, I don't like the flashlight being handheld. The colonial marines had shoulder-mounted flashlights, ya know.

Other than that, I approve so hard of this.
Yeah i know, Colonial Marines had shoulder-mounted flashlights but i'm not behind the weapons mod. Anyway is a great point, so can be great telling this to Virtue "Ben2k9" for add this feature instead the flashlight! Thanks!!!
Virtue

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC. Released!!!! (UPDATED!!!!)

Post by Virtue »

adding manual reloading for weapons involves ACS which i dont know, so unless someone can provide a reloading script then that aint gonna happen any time soon. As for shoulder flashlights...the torch originally came from DrDoctors addon to my TC, so I just ported it over, I guess for gameplay issues. i was toying with the idea of a HL style flashlight but never figured how to do it without, you guessed it, ACS :S
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Holy crap, this is awesome! This has the most authentic Aliens feeling i've seen in a game for a good while :P.
Though, since you're basing it on the actual movie "Aliens", I suggest using some music from the Alien 3 SNES game, which actually used midi versions of songs from Aliens. The Alien Trilogy music still works really well for the most part, but a couple Alien 3 SNES Midi's would definitely give a very authentic feeling in a couple of maps.

Also, I have a Aliens-themed status bar I made a while back, if you want it (based on the look of the Aliens Online hud):
(Note that it only looks blurry because I took an openGL screenshot of it so everything could be seen as it appears ingame. If you want to use it, i can upload all the components.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Could someone volunteer to look at the English in the mod?

Deimos' English is a damned sight better than my Spanish (which goes about as far as asking "how are you" and ordering two beers) but it is a weak point of the mod. Sometimes it just sounds a little clumsy but there was one message (I forget exactly where or what) where the wrong word had been used making the message unintentionally comical. Most of the time, however, it isn't awful but is it obvious that a non-native speaker wrote it. It would make the mod seem more professional if the English was tidied up a bit.

I'd usually volunteer for something like that myself but I'm really busy ATM so I wouldn't be able to allocate the time needed to do the job properly. So, anyone feel like it?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”