Zdoom (LAN)

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Cyberdoomer

Zdoom (LAN)

Post by Cyberdoomer »

I have succesfully created a Multiplayer game in Zdoom, but if the players are connected within the same internet connection, they have to write join IP (190.131.666) to join? because it is the same IP they are using, or they have to write join (computer host name)?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Zdoom (LAN)

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Just an example:
zdoom.exe -join 192.168.0.5

The IP used here is the HOST'S IP. If you're hosting the game, you need this line below. Remember, Vanilla ZDoom does not support Join-In-Progress.
zdoom.exe -host 2

You can hhost up to 8 players. Be sure you put in exactly how many you're expecting or the game will launch a player short, or never launch because the server is expecting another player.
Cyberdoomer

Post by Cyberdoomer »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Just an example:
zdoom.exe -join 192.168.0.5

The IP used here is the HOST'S IP. If you're hosting the game, you need this. Remember, Vanilla ZDoom does not support Join-In-Progress.
zdoom.exe -host 2

You can hhost up to 8 players. Be sure you put in exactly how many you're expecting or the game will launch a player short, or never launch because the server is expecting another player.
I think I was not clear, so I'll write an example, me and my friend want to play Zdoom.
We both are using the SAME internet connection IP is 190.131.666
I have to execute zdoom -host 2 -warp 01 -skill 4 so we will start in MAP01: Entryway skill: Ultra-Violence.
but my friend must join in executing zdoom -join (and here is the question, he must write the IP 190.131.666 or he must write the name of the host computer, in this case mine, name is CyberDoomer.) ?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

You'll need your local IP (usually starts with 192.168.1).
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

I'm pretty sure that ZDoom requires the actual IP rather than the computer's name.
Cyberdoomer

Post by Cyberdoomer »

ChronoSeth wrote:I'm pretty sure that ZDoom requires the actual IP rather than the computer's name.
Ok, Thank you.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Actually, Zdoom (like anything else) can use host-names. When it comes to resolving host-names, there is not much different between Zdoom.org and Lab-PC232 (or in your case, 'CyberDoomer'), and will both go to an IP address. This is assuming your network is set-up normally.

So yes, if you do know the computer name, you can use that instead.
Cyberdoomer

Post by Cyberdoomer »

edward850 wrote:Actually, Zdoom (like anything else) can use host-names. When it comes to resolving host-names, there is not much different between Zdoom.org and Lab-PC232 (or in your case, 'CyberDoomer'), and will both go to an IP address. This is assuming your network is set-up normally.

So yes, if you do know the computer name, you can use that instead.
I knew that I had read that before, thank you, by the way, the first time we tried, my friend use the IP number but it didn't work, aside of the firewall, what could be causing this?
edward850

Post by edward850 »

It could be if windows firewall is still asking if you want to enable Zdoom program network access or something else stupid like that. Other then that I don't have enough information to know what was actually wrong. Could be anything really.

Return to “Networking”