[Release] 6Axis

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

[Release] 6Axis

Post by Jimmy »

Download (Beta 1)
(Runs with GZDoom! Possibly not the official release! Use an SVN! Be safe! And brush yo' teef.)

So I've been working on this thing for about 3 years (yep) and I just now thought "what the hell, it's as good as it's gonna get - it needs a sod-buggering release". :P

ImageImageImageImage
These screenshots suck in every way, I know. :glare:

6Axis is my attempt to make Doom slightly more realistic. Only slightly - there's certainly no Brutal/Beautiful Doom-level aesthetic enhancements going on here (hell, there aren't even new GLDEFS or TERRAIN definitions :o). Though it does introduce a few modern elements into the gameplay of the game we all know and love - such as inventory items, player morphing, weapon zooms and upgrades for the player's attributes and arsenal.

I should point out that I was reluctant to release this mod at first - because it has an unfortunate resemblence to wildweasel's Doom Illustrated - this is entirely coincidence, I promise you. I respect the guy too much to rip his work directly, and it was only through examining his vast portfolio of work that I realized I had used quite a few weapons present in his mod. :? Whoopsie.

Anyways, I can assure you that there will be at least some novelty within this mod, because I used as little code by other people as possible - a lot of the new gameplay elements are original, and coded entirely by me. ;)

Here's a quick list of the mod's new features:
  • Doom's original arsenal has been revived and modernized. All the weapons you are familiar with have been greatly modified, but functionally remain the same.
  • Armor bonuses are replaced by stamina supplements. Doomguy's stamina starts at zero but can be boosted by these supplements or by portable hypos. The more stamina you have, the faster you can run, but it slowly diminishes over time.
  • Doomguy also comes with a flashlight. This is not only a useful tool for seeing in the dark, but ghostly monsters hate it. There are three ghostly variants of monsters in the game - Phantasms (imps), Spooks (demons) and Maelstroms (lost souls). The flashlight has limited battery, but can be replenished if you happen to come across a backpack which includes an extra battery. There are also eternal battery packs which allow the flashlight to keep going forever.
  • The flashlight, pistol, shotgun, and supershotgun have a melee attack, which is also affected by the berserk pack. Bear this in mind when you have to go toe-to-toe with a few demons!
  • Zombiemen occasionally drop an extra pistol that you can then dual-wield with your own.
  • The plasma gun has a zoom. Use it well.
  • The BFG will overheat and kill you if used overzealously. Heat dispensers (which occasionally replace cell ammo) can be used to instantly dissipate the weapon's cell heat.
  • Demon orbs are dropped by demons and spooks. They heal 50% health up to 300% and can be used at any time.
  • The skill levels radically alter the mod's bestiary. Be wary of this when you make your choice. :twisted:
  • Be sure to pick up seismic bombs. They are a highly useful extra weapon but appear relatively rarely.
  • Invulnerability spheres now transform you into a roid-raging baron of hell. Use its new powers to great advantage if you can!
  • Don't die. For the love of god. :P
There are probably some problems with it, but I can't be arsed to find out what they are. I'm releasing this not to be lazy and let other people detect my bugchecking blind spots, though, but rather to tide you guys over with a release of some kind because, well, Omega TC has gotten nowhere recently and who bloody knows what's going to happen with Blocks of Doom II. :|

And Jenesis Pt. 3 is for Boom so it doesn't count as a release over here. :lol:

Enjoy, and cheers! :D

(Any issues with crediting, let me know please. I don't want to step on anyone's toesies.)
Captain Proof

Re: [Release] 6Axis

Post by Captain Proof »

Nice job!I didn't notice anything wrong with it.

EDIT:But then again I am not much of an expert lol
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

wow I found out about this right as it was released.
I'll try it out
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Feels odd playing this mod, considering it's a blast to the past. Very 'ye olde mod' feel. :P
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

A few things:
  1. "BFG Heat Dispenser" is a bit weirdly worded, as it sounds like it produces heat. "Discharger" would probably be a better word for it. Or just Coolant, since that's effectively what it really is.
  2. The BFG still says "OVERLOAD", which is a bit misleading when you're supposed to hold it down. The one in Action Revolution (I think) has a "FIRING" frame which would be more appropriate in this case, really.
  3. The blinking black/white item arrows on the fullscreen HUD are distracting. Maybe just have them be grey and make their blink really subtle?
  4. Set the InterHub amounts for inventory items. It's kind of annoying that you can only bring one bottle of water between levels, let alone anything else like heat dispensers.
Other than that, this has a really nice Zen Dynamics feel to it in general, which is really awesome.
Last edited by Kate on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

The fist's altfire seems unaffected by the berserk pack.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Loving this mod so far, although I'm not exactly a big fan of the shotgun or the super shotgun sprites.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Can I suggest having the plasma gun shoot really fast-moving shots (possibly even hitscans) while zoomed? It feels so weird having a scope for what really ought to be a CQB weapon.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

*ba-dum-tish*

Then again, wait six months and we'll have the new version, 2shock 3

*cue audience groan*
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Screw that - I came up with the name before I'd even heard of that controller. :P Honest.

Thanks for the feedback thus far, guys, please keep it coming. :D
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Jimmy wrote:controller
Jimmy wrote:feedback
This mod has rumble support?!

Ahahahahaha- :shotty:

Need to remember to give this a try. Reviews have been good so far. :P
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

[Insert yet another lolsony joke here]

Well done; it comes pretty close to my ideal "French Vanilla Doom" mod idea in terms of giving the basic weapons a nice sprucing up without making them overpowered. Not quite sure how I feel yet about all the other bells and whistles like the extra items and monster mutator difficulty options, but it's a damn fine mod for keeping it simple while spicing things up. Great work!
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

This is actually a pretty neat mod, would go well with a thematic setting. But it's quite difficult and slow to start when you begin, until you get your stamina to a high level for you to be able to run and gun easier. Even then some care is still required, but balance wise seems respective, though Rictus is very annoying no matter what form its used in.

My major quip though is the invulnerability resets your health back to 100 and armor to 0. This means if you have 200 health and armor and use the invul, you'll lose your megasphere influence after it's worn off.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

nice ideas in your,but these weapon textures i see already before... please this nothing personaly...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”