[Not a bug] Cannot load external wads in 2.047

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Ultraviolet - I was able to load the pwads by dragging and dropping them onto the ZDoom.exe. And you're right - all I know about DOS I learned from Doom.

Mighty Duck, don't worry, I was not insulted. It's been a while since I used the command prompt and I may have been doing something wrong. I was actually trying to load the wads from the console (hitting the ~ key while in Doom), which may have been my problem. In the past, I always used a WAD loading program, although I don't remember which one. Now I can use all of the wads I downloaded years ago (if I can still find them) :wink: .
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

Great! Have fun ;)
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Guess I was wrong :(
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Perhaps he's trying to load wads in the console?
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Perhaps he's trying to load wads in the console?
Only available in Legacy so far AFAIK.

Post by Guest »

I never said it was available in ZDoom.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Exactly. That is why it does not work.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

What I mean is, trying to load wads in the console when you can't do that would explain why he was having problems
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Right. Could be implemented in ZDoom to dynamically overload WADs.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

A launcher may take up a bit of harddrive space, but it is so nice to use.
I myself use UNLEASHED which can be found here:

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/exes/unleashed.php

UNLEASHED also makes saved play sessions easier to handle, as it shows a screenshot of the spot when it was saved.

The -file command line really is not needed, as Randy mentioned so many times, to start a Pwad, just drag the file over the ZDoom icon.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Kappes Buur wrote:UNLEASHED also makes saved play sessions easier to handle, as it shows a screenshot of the spot when it was saved.
Zdoom already does so.
The -file command line really is not needed, as Randy mentioned so many times, to start a Pwad, just drag the file over the ZDoom icon.
I like command lines, especially udner Linux. Though ZDoom doesnot recognize DEH/BEX files over drag&drop IIRC.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hirogen2 wrote:Zdoom already does so.
Indeed it does, but I think Unleashed is the first launcher to use the fact that Zdoom stores screenshots in the save to allow viewing the screen shots for the save outside the game.

BTW, any graphics editor that supports PNG can show the save game screenies. Just try browsing your Zdoom directory with Paint Shop Pro.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Enjay wrote:BTW, any graphics editor that supports PNG can show the save game screenies. Just try browsing your Zdoom directory with Paint Shop Pro.
Already did so, and to be honest I wondered when that feature was new. All I knew until then was that Zdoom had a new load/save area with a screenshot. That it uses a PNG header came evident when I opened PSP, and later a hex editor.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Hirogen2 wrote:Though ZDoom doesnot recognize DEH/BEX files over drag&drop IIRC.
Another reason for UNLEASHED :D

Recently, Martin revamped this launcher to take advantage of all that ZDoom 2.0.47 has to offer.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

You didn't read one of Ultraviolet's posts, did you?
Meh, a launcher is like a middleman... it's just more software to clutter things up. ZDoom's command-line isn't really all that different from vanilla's, aside from a few new features. It's the same concept for anybody who's ever used a command-line, and since this guy has been messing with Doom since '94 (before Win95), he probably had to get out into DOS to play it, and therefore probably has some command-line experience.

One may also find that, if you ask a lot of doomers, the only reason some of them know any command line stuff is because of Doom. I think there was a poll on DW a while back asking about that...

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”