[Request] Judge Dredd vs Judge Death resource rip?

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

[Request] Judge Dredd vs Judge Death resource rip?

Post by Enjay »

Does anyone have the ability to rip resources from the game "Judge Dredd versus Judge Death"?

As far as I can establish the game uses the Asura engine which is an in-house engine by Rebellion games. I *believe* that the same engine was used for at least one of the AvP games. The files for the game either have an ASR extension or a PC extension. I have managed to put the ones containing sound resources into GoldWave and it can read them as raw files and can make sense of the entries (although it means one huge file with loads of sounds in it that need to be chopped up into separate files). I *think* the graphical resources are in the PC files but there are lots of files. My guess is that they are container files of some sort and perhaps contain graphics and, maybe, other resources too. Opening them in a HEX editor shows the first line as AsuraCmpX. I have tried opening them with 7zip but they don't open.

I'd really like to get my hands on the graphics because I think they would suit a few different things that I have in mind. I've done a search for tools that are made for the Asura engine but come up blank.

Any ideas anyone?

[edit] Ohhh, the tools on this page look promising.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.ph ... ic=34432.0

I'll report back. [/edit]
Enjay

Re: [Request] Judge Dredd vs Judge Death resource rip?

Post by Enjay »

Yes, using a combination of the tools on that page, I have managed to get just about everything that it is possible to get... I think. The files are horribly arranged with all sorts of duplicates across different levels. It will take me a while to sort through this stuff. Unfortunately, most of the textures don't look as useful as I hoped they might be. :?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Enjay wrote:The files are horribly arranged with all sorts of duplicates across different levels.
Hmm, the textures might be baked into the level like in Quake.

I remember this being okay but rather disappointing overall. It felt more like Halo with a Judge Dredd licensed bolted on top. The best stages in the game were the ones that let you walk around and arrest perps, but that was pretty much just the first two levels. The rest were shooting zombies or vampires. :/
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That could explain it. But it's not just the textures. Just about every resource file had the sounds for the weapons duplicated in them too (plus other sounds). It seems odd for them to be baked into the level.

Personally, I really quite like the game. OK, I know that it isn't the best game in the world but I thought it captured quite a bit of what the comic is about (far more so than any previous Dredd game anyway). I've certainly kept coming back to it over the years so it must have something going for it. I hear what you are saying about arresting perps. IMO, a Dredd sandbox game like GTA, except you are on the side of the law, could work quite well - and provide loads of perps to bust. I reckon that most Dredd-heads would be quite happy to be given a badge, a law master and a law giver and just get out there on the streets to do what judges are meant to do. :)

There are people to arrest in most of the levels (indeed, to get a "Judge Dredd" rating in most levels you need to arrest people) but, yeah, the focus does move away from that and towards the vampires/zombies/dark judges.

Anyway, I have managed to get 11 skyboxes out of the game. Some of them don't bear close inspection I'm afraid, but some look quite nice:
Spoiler:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Enjay wrote:Personally, I really quite like the game. OK, I know that it isn't the best game in the world but I thought it captured quite a bit of what the comic is about (far more so than any previous Dredd game anyway). I've certainly kept coming back to it over the years so it must have something going for it. I hear what you are saying about arresting perps. IMO, a Dredd sandbox game like GTA, except you are on the side of the law, could work quite well - and provide loads of perps to bust. I reckon that most Dredd-heads would be quite happy to be given a badge, a law master and a law giver and just get out there on the streets to do what judges are meant to do. :)
I have to agree with this. It might not be the best game but it is really fun. I've played through it a couple times myself, and I might have to give it another go. :) I much preferred the Rogue Trooper game Rebellion published a few years later, however.

Anyway, those are some nice skyboxes. They would be great in a large, futuristic city level.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Some of those look pretty awesome, but I fear they'd stylistically look terribly out of place with anything using standard Doom resources.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Enjay wrote:I reckon that most Dredd-heads would be quite happy to be given a badge, a law master and a law giver and just get out there on the streets to do what judges are meant to do. :)
But wouldn't exing jaywalkers and litterers get a bit boring after a while :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Justice must be served. ;)
esselfortium wrote:I fear they'd stylistically look terribly out of place with anything using standard Doom resources.
Yes, I don't think they would be suitable for simply plugging in to an otherwise straight doom-themed mod.
Last edited by Enjay on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

Not wasting an opportunity to post this.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

More this:

TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

This is much better.
And because Im immature, here's the Judge Dread Blow Dance
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Since we're posting Judge Dredd videos, I might as well post my favorite:
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Oh what the heck, since you're at it already, why not :3:

P.S. can anyone tell me how to actually attach a video ^-^"?
Last edited by TheMistress on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.C.S

Post by E.C.S »

TheMistress wrote:Oh what the heck, since you're at it already, why not :3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4XikQyxeM

Use "[youtube]" "[/youtube]" tags and add the ID of video in the middle (wl4XikQyxeM for example). Or just use "post reply" instead of quick reply and click in the youtube button which have better instructions.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

E.C.S wrote:
TheMistress wrote:Oh what the heck, since you're at it already, why not :3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4XikQyxeM

Use "[youtube]" "[/youtube]" tags and add the ID of video in the middle (wl4XikQyxeM for example). Or just use "post reply" instead of quick reply and click in the youtube button which have better instructions.
Thanks alot :D.

Return to “Requests”