[Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- Seeking dev assistance re:ZScript

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [Fun] Jimmy's Jukebox -- v7! :D

Post by Jimmy »

It should become available if I define a character called STCFN178. It'll probably look a bit weird, though, because it can't get much smaller. :?

EDIT: Rewrote the first post.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

This is awesome, I'm really digging it. Thanks for putting this together :)
Average

Post by Average »

I love this! It's really good fun and it's nice to mix it up a little. I have come across something though. I don't know if it's a bug or a limitation but if the player dies on a map and you start again the song resets to the original and the playlist disappears. I've been playing a lot of single MAP01 replacements for Doom II recently and when I die it always goes back to IDMUS01 (ie/ d_runnin).

Apart from that this is brilliant! Years ago I used something similar for Skulltag and really missed it in ZDoom. Thanks a lot!

PS: If you decide to expand this in the future I'd like to suggest the PSX/Doom64 soundtracks... :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Average wrote:PS: If you decide to expand this in the future I'd like to suggest the PSX/Doom64 soundtracks... :)
They're not MIDI.

Also ambient tracks not really "jukebox" material... Randomly mixing and matching them with melodic tracks would be strange.

Little bug in MAP00: hit the "F1" switch, then the "generate" switch. The help message is not removed. Hitting the F1 switch again has no effect. (Until you hit the "generate" switch again, that is.)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Average wrote:I don't know if it's a bug or a limitation but if the player dies on a map and you start again the song resets to the original and the playlist disappears. I've been playing a lot of single MAP01 replacements for Doom II recently and when I die it always goes back to IDMUS01 (ie/ d_runnin).
Ah. This might happen if you don't use autosaves. I don't think there's anything I can do about that. :? Just make sure to save often, I guess. :P
Gez wrote:Little bug in MAP00: hit the "F1" switch, then the "generate" switch. The help message is not removed. Hitting the F1 switch again has no effect. (Until you hit the "generate" switch again, that is.)
Huh. Bizarre. That will be fixed. :)
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I love this. Lee Jackson in DooM = Fantastic.

Hmm. Blood has a MIDI soundtrack... TAHT WUD B TEH BESTES EVAR!!!1

:P

Shadowcaster does as well, though those seem rather simplistic comapred to the others you've included.

Also, does TNT not have its own soundtrack? And do you plan on adding Strife?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

NeuralStunner wrote:Also, does TNT not have its own soundtrack?
It does - it's to the right of Doom 2. :P

Not sure about Strife, since there's only a few tracks in there I truly like, the rest of them seem a bit dull, to be honest. Though v8 might just include the Strife soundtrack for completion's sake. :P

I don't have the Shadowcaster MIDIs - I'll check 'em out, though. :)
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Jimmy wrote:
NeuralStunner wrote:Also, does TNT not have its own soundtrack?
It does - it's to the right of Doom 2. :P
Somehow I missed that. Thanks. ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I had thought about using a Shadowcaster track for a Heretic map; but none of them really fit in an action-packed game. Shadowcaster used a dynamic music system -- rather primitive compared to iMuse, but the idea was there -- so that in addition to the normal "explore" music for each level, you had also a "combat" tune, a "desperate combat" tune (triggered by getting low on hit points and having remained in combat for a while; the threshold was a bit too low so generally you'd die before it kicked in) and a victory tune (for once combat ceases because you've killed all hostiles surrounding you).

Since music is static in Doom, the soundtrack for a level should fit all situations -- both peaceful exploration and intense action. Which is probably why Shadowcaster's song seem simplistic in comparison. They are a lot less generic. The non-combat tunes are too slow, the combat tunes are too short and frantic. They don't fit well at all. IMO.

I could say the same thing for some of my favorite MIDI soundtracks -- from the Ultima or Elder Scrolls series. They're lovely, but they don't work for a Doom level.
Spoiler:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I see from the megawads list that Plutonia 2 tracks aren't included, will you add them in a newer version?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Many Plutonia 2 songs are there; but they're part of the artist listing rather than as a megawad. (That also means that only the Jimmy and 42 P2 songs are there; not the ones from the other composers.)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Yeah, the Plutonia 2 soundtrack was written by me, Forty-Two, The Green Herring, Paul Corfiatis and Jamie Robertson (and the intermission track came from Julian Aubourg). The first four of those are obviously still around and writing MIDIs, but Jamie Robertson submitted his songs to Plutonia 2 way back in 2000/2001, and they are his only work I know of. I don't know if it's worth including a collection of only a few tracks by one artist which only featured in one project. :?

Although, I might separate Paul Corfiatis and The Green Herring into their own collections, and add all the rest of their work from various projects as well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Jimmy wrote:Jamie Robertson submitted his songs to Plutonia 2 way back in 2000/2001, and they are his only work I know of.
The Doom wiki says he also contributed tracks to the Doom Millennium project (also known as "Mordethier than Mordeth 2: The Vaporware Saga"), but I don't know if these are available anywhere. Probably rotting on the harddrive of somebody who lost interest in Doom mapping several years ago.
Average

Post by Average »

Sorry to point out another thing (that's probably my fault!) but I sometimes get this while either firing a weapon or scrolling through weapons. I play with Keyboard only and it doesn't seem to matter as to what keys are to bound to which action...

Basically, the messages state keeps changing. It only does this sometimes so I haven't been able to isolate a problem on my end. I'm happy to give any other info you need though I do think this is probably my error as nobody else seems to ahve mentioned this... :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Go in "Customize Controls" and unbind some of the Jukebox stuff at the bottom...

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”