[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rsl

[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Post by rsl »

Adventures of Salvo Jettison... or "The Quest" (for Weight Watching)

Hi everybody,

after quite a bit of work I am pleased to announce a new weapons modification of mine...

-- New weapons, again? So what's new or different this time?

Basically, you have to cope with a limited weapons carrying capability. :?
This is implemented in terms of weight assigned to each weapon you may find throughout the game (with the exception of a few ones) - if you happen to find a new weapon whose weight can exceed the maximum you can carry, the weapon stays on ground, and you can't pick it up until you dump something you already have that weighs at least the same. Obviously, the mightiest weapons are also the heaviest ones. Please notice that your movement speed is also affected by this: the more you are carrying, the slower you run.

-- Why such a name for the main character?

The term "Jettisoning" comes from the field of military avionics, where it is intended as a flight control computer emergency procedure that allows you to "release all the stores" (i.e. weapons) in case you are running out of fuel (for example) and need to gain speed/optimize on its consumption by losing weight, to recover to your base as quickly as possible. But it wouldn't be fair omitting that my first source of inspiration for this was the slot limit system made by WildWeasel in his "Magnum Opus"! (btw, will you ever finish it? :wink:)

-- Are you just implementing this on top of the vanilla weapons roster?

No - in fact, if not all the weapons are exactly new in terms of aesthetics (although many are original edits of well-known DOOM-engine commercial game sprites), they surely are in terms of gameplay mechanics and capabilities - especially on the higher tiers. Let's have a quick look:

>Knuckledusters: pretty self-explaining. They can be powered up with berserk for a limited amount of time.
>Powerglove Kit: an energy emitting glove that you can use for sustained melee attacks. The alternate fire lets you deliver a strict-timed blast to push away foes or deviate projectiles.
>Compression Pistol: your standard issue firearm - weak, accurate and with generous kickback.
>(NEW!) Silver Magnum: great revolver implementation from UAC - almost a good substitute for the ordinary shotgun, and you can also empty the whole loader with rapid fire, Far-West-style.
>TekBow: a modern type of bow, shoots silent, super-fast steel arrows that rip through and stop on walls, so that you can recollect them.
>Hybrid Shotgun: the combination of a pump-action and a double-barreled, this shotgun can be used in both modes.
>Infantry Rifle: very-ordinary-yet-effective automatic firearm.
>Overdrive Gun: rotating gatling gun that is slower to start and stop, but fires at impressive speed.
>(NEW!) Cluster Swarmer: a compact RPG, mostly interesting for its alternate attack - fire four missiles at once in a spread pattern.
>Tubular Bombs: remote controlled grenades you can deploy on the ground and detonate at a safe distance, or even disengage and recollect in case you placed them in the wrong spot. Think of them as enhanced versions of Duke's Pipebombs.
>(NEW!) Laser Cruiser: a Star-Wars-like laser rifle that fires at hi-speed and can instantly set former humans on fire. Complete with a nice HUD-on-weapon effect inspired by Xaser (eriguns.wad).
>Desizer: basically the Shrinker from Duke Nukem 3D. Turn your opponent into a dwarf, then kill him without effort - or just stomp on it. :twisted:
>Cryogenizer: basically the Freezer from Duke Nukem 3D. Instantly freeze your opponents, but be equally fast in shattering them to pieces, or they'll come back *at full health* in a few seconds... :shock:
>Plasma Concentrator: shoots a slow-yet-inexorable plasma blob that destroys anything on its path. With a bit of training, you'll be able to create super-barrages of plasma.
>(NEW!) Harvester Machine: a new UAC superweapon able to propel complex projectiles in two forms: one that generates two forcefields sideways and can span large areas, and another one that stops in midair, firing in all directions in a turret-like fashion.
>Entropy Collider: charge and unleash three different clouds of plasma particles on groups of hellspawn: they can be simple bouncing ones, an explosive variant that deposits on ground, or a ripping type that fills up the whole room...
>Iron Hand: the ultimate hellish weapon - deal outstanding melee attacks even against the greatest opponents, or invoke a storm of lava on your enemy.

-- Have you got some screenshots, at least?

Sure!
Spoiler:
-- Where do I get to try this?

Here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16476 (MUCH-FIXED as of October 25th, 2011: lots of bugs squished, and a few extras!!)
(UPDATED VERSION as of October 1st, 2011: added four new weapons to the roster!!)

As usual, let me know what do you think of it! :P

-----

Shameless self-plug, as usual (all of my past works): http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... asc&page=1
Last edited by rsl on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [RELEASED] Adventures of Salvo Jettison...

Post by wildweasel »

I recognize the long sword in the last screenshot - where did you get that?
rsl

Post by rsl »

I admit my guilt, sir... :oops:

I took it from that Ransom of yours, I guess.
But you are fully credited, of course. Sorry, the sprites were just too good IMHO... I couldn't resist! :)

Please let me know if you want additional information specified in the accompanying textfile/credits.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The sword was made by Marty Kirra, not by me. I won't ask you to remove it (since I know updating a file on /idgames is a pain in the arse) but please ask/do some research next time.

Incidentally, if you said you'd downloaded it from Realm 667's Armory, I'd tell you to remove it altogether, as the weapon was (a long time ago) submitted there without either my or Marty's permission (it has since been removed).
rsl

Post by rsl »

The sword was made by Marty Kirra, not by me. I won't ask you to remove it (since I know updating a file on /idgames is a pain in the arse) but please ask/do some research next time.
Ugh. Sorry, I really didn't manage to find about this... :roll: But I guess I'll correct the credits appropriately for the next upload.
Actually, it's the second time I happen to do this (involuntarily) to Mr. Kirra - it already happened for rsliczdp.zip, and he was kind enough to point it out. :) I then fixed the textfile credits...
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Ohohoho, I must admit it - those guns are really fun to use, especially Plasma Concentrator!

(Also, on the other note, the mod description style looks familiar :P)
rsl

Post by rsl »

Thanks a lot! :D I see from your in-progress work that you're quite on the same wavelength as I, weapons-style-wise...
(Also, on the other note, the mod description style looks familiar)
Yes! It surely is a very nice formula for an introduction... I admit I have been influenced! :wink:
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Funny enough, I tended to also use that sword, but I quickly realized who made it. Fortunately, I've got good contact with Marty. :wink:

About similar weapons-style-wise? Definitely, keep up the good work!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I must say, I enjoyed it. Though I came across a 'debugging' bug when using the pipebomb, while detonating it, it popped up saying "__COMMAND DETONATE" or something to that effect. I'll get the actual name when I get back into the game. :)
rsl

Post by rsl »

I must say, I enjoyed it. Though I came across a 'debugging' bug when using the pipebomb, while detonating it, it popped up saying "__COMMAND DETONATE" or something to that effect. I'll get the actual name when I get back into the game.
Thanks! :D Actually, I decided to leave the A_Log() messages on purpose, but apart from those related to the weighting system, all others probably are of no use during play and I should consider at least about commenting them out for the next release. Plus, for the bombs you have a (quite minimal) feedback from the led colouring on the remote control. :!:
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Really? I gotta check that out! I also find it hard to read the menu text / pick up messages text. Maybe it's just me. :)
printz

Post by printz »

The title made me expect a full map set or TC, than only a weapon mod... It has "Adventures" in it.
rsl

Post by rsl »

@Hellser: yeah, I was fond of that font but I admit it's not that readable... :shock: A new font should be another addition to consider in the next release, to preserve our sight capabilities... :lol:

@printz: actually it's only a weapons modification. Although the weighting system would probably be better exploited by a specially-designed mapset, I tried to balance it for singleplayer in general, so that it should bring some radical changes from standard gameplay within any old megawad... :wink:
rsl

Post by rsl »

Hi all,

sorry for bumping my own thread, but I just wanted to ask if all of you who took the time to try out the mod did notice any bug/glitch to correct. :)
I found (and corrected) a couple things so far:

- Tubular bombs would set a former human on fire just by bouncing off of it. :? Corrected through separation between the projectile and its explosion, each one bearing a different DamageType.
- Cryofuel was spawning too much, so I reduced its occurrence percentage within the applicable RandomSpawners.
- The small fonts I included are not the best in terms of readability, so I have actually replaced them.

I am going to submit a bugfix update by the end of this week to the archives. Please let me know if you found something else... :!:
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I'm looking forward to playing it with the bug update. I'll probably goof around on a random map and see if I can get a bug going. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”