Weasel Presents: NAZIS V2

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheDoomGuy

Re: [Beta] Weasel Presents: NAZIS (wwhc-ana)

Post by TheDoomGuy »

I'm extremely impressed with this project. While the bosses seem fairly lackluster and rehashed, I'm loving the wide-variety of soldiers. The HUD is great, as are the weapons. I managed to track down the EPIC 2 maps as demonstrated in the video you posted, and it works amazingly well with this project. I feel like I'm raiding a secret Nazi base in Egypt. :D

If anyone wants to check out the EPIC 2 megawad alone or try it with NAZIS, here is where you can find it:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16262

So, just out of curiosity... are you planning on having original maps for this?

Lastly, back to the bosses. I'm wondering, would you like any help with their design? I'm quite an experienced spriter and I'd love to work on some new Nazi bosses (I could just as easily make sure they were historically accurate in terms of clothes, weapons and so forth). Some variety in them would be good, instead of just a bunch of bulky dual-chaingun/missile launching dudes... like a smaller guy who's fast and has a powerful pistol, or machine gun or something.
Vict

Post by Vict »

I agree, some more variety with the boss enemies would be very welcome. How about some more supernatural enemies?

Also, some of the later levels of Epic 2 get wickedly difficult... That pit surrounded by what are supposed to be Imps comes to mind. The second you wake them up, you get shedded... D:
Last edited by Vict on Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Crap. It looks awesome, and I want to try it out, but apparently I can't connect to the file host. :x
Edit: Never mind, it suddenly worked. :roll:
marble

Post by marble »

I would suggest adding firey deaths to enemies using resources from strife, as they look pretty good.

EDIT: also, more non-bullet shooting enemies would add some variety, since right now every non-boss enemy shoots bullets. just a thought.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Yeah, this was is awesome. I'm having so much fun playing it. Awesome work WW.
So, just out of curiosity... are you planning on having original maps for this?
I'm thinking of making some maps that are designed to be run with this wad. Does anybody happen to have any good Nazi themed texture packs?

Any chance of any brightmaps?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Ah, punching Nazis never gets old. Would still be nice to have some kind of knife or something, though. shovelshovelshovelshovelshovel
marble

Post by marble »

^^ The ultimate torment and torture has a secret nazi map with some really nice textures and enemies, you could borrow some stuff from there...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheDoomGuy wrote:So, just out of curiosity... are you planning on having original maps for this?
I honestly don't consider myself much of a mapper, to be honest. My only released map came to a rather lukewarm reception and I'm pretty much out of good map ideas. =P
Lastly, back to the bosses. I'm wondering, would you like any help with their design? I'm quite an experienced spriter and I'd love to work on some new Nazi bosses (I could just as easily make sure they were historically accurate in terms of clothes, weapons and so forth). Some variety in them would be good, instead of just a bunch of bulky dual-chaingun/missile launching dudes... like a smaller guy who's fast and has a powerful pistol, or machine gun or something.
I wouldn't mind; if anything I wouldn't mind something that would enable me to get rid of FatMan and the flying mini-submarine. =P
Vertigo wrote:The cyberdemon replacement doesn't shoot bullets from the right location, they come out between his legs.
D'oh. I think Woolie sent me a fix for that a bit ago but I have no idea where I left it...
Vict wrote:To further elaborate: I have enough shotgun shells to supply a small militia, but no shotgun. It seems that Epic2.wad is very dependent on this weapon...
Opinions on making the shotgun pickup randomly spawn either a G43 or a trench shotgun?
Also, do those gun turret things actually do anything? They just seem to shoot the geometry in front of them.
Hm. Maybe I screwed them up inadvertently when converting them to fire tracers instead of hitscans. Then again, as Lost Soul replacements, they're pretty useless...I could use a replacement...
EDIT 2: The Klein Nebelwerfer's recoil is far too early, the rocket actually fires at the new position instead of where you were initially aiming. Minor gripe, but it does effect it's long range use.
Noted. I'll fix that at earliest convenience.
marble wrote:I would suggest adding firey deaths to enemies using resources from strife, as they look pretty good.
That'll be about the tenth time I've reused those very sprites, but okay. =P
EDIT: also, more non-bullet shooting enemies would add some variety, since right now every non-boss enemy shoots bullets. just a thought.
What would they be shooting instead?
Vertigo wrote:Any chance of any brightmaps?
If anybody's willing to provide them (and if I ever bother to learn how to add them to the project), maybe.
Ethril wrote:Ah, punching Nazis never gets old. Would still be nice to have some kind of knife or something, though. shovelshovelshovelshovelshovel
If I end up shuffling the trench shotgun out of the chainsaw spawn, the shovel might make it in.
rsl

Post by rsl »

marble wrote:
I would suggest adding firey deaths to enemies using resources from strife, as they look pretty good.
That'll be about the tenth time I've reused those very sprites, but okay. =P
If you like, you may use the fire death sprites I included in "Parallel Forces" (rslforce.zip on /IDGames). You may also find the "Disintegration" death sprites worth a look for the same purpose...

And BTW, tried the mod yesterday evening, and found it quite enjoyable! I like how you managed to implement the reload animations - although not overdetailed, they're fast and do their job well. The "projectile hitscans" implementation has a great feel IMHO, and gives the mod a tactical peculiarity of its own, without being cartoonish (a la Action DOOM).

However, I'd have only one inclusion suggestion (something that may be already in and I probably overlooked, since I could test the mod only for a few minutes): what about including some more occult-type custom enemies (and say, one weapon)? That wouldn't be out of place at all, and quite intriguing instead... :wink:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

rsl wrote:If you like, you may use the fire death sprites I included in "Parallel Forces" (rslforce.zip on /IDGames). You may also find the "Disintegration" death sprites worth a look for the same purpose...
I'll look into it, I suppose.
However, I'd have only one inclusion suggestion (something that may be already in and I probably overlooked, since I could test the mod only for a few minutes): what about including some more occult-type custom enemies (and say, one weapon)? That wouldn't be out of place at all, and quite intriguing instead... :wink:
I have no idea what type of occult enemies/weapons to include, but I suppose there should be just the slightest bit of Hell in here to justify the "Axis & Abaddon" tag.

Hm. I don't suppose anybody would be willing to help make Doomified versions of Wolfenstein '09's Priest or Assassin enemies, and possibly either the Particle Cannon or the Leichenfaust 44?
rsl

Post by rsl »

Well, I have no idea of them, so I couldn't tell for sure. Although I wouldn't exclude it right from the start... :)
Do you have a couple sample pics you could post to show off the original weapons? :?:
Vict

Post by Vict »

wildweasel wrote:Opinions on making the shotgun pickup randomly spawn either a G43 or a trench shotgun?
Sounds good to me, or you can make the sergeant zombie replacement wield and drop the G43 rifle and leave the shotgun pickup as just the trench gun.

Hm, actually, maybe that's not so good of an idea... It's a really powerful weapon to be dropped that easily...
wildweasel wrote:I have no idea what type of occult enemies/weapons to include, but I suppose there should be just the slightest bit of Hell in here to justify the "Axis & Abaddon" tag.
Perhaps some sort of cultist spell-slinger to take the Archvile slot? Or give them a pistol/MP-40 and have them alternate between resurrecting, firing at the player, and launching some damaging magic.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

wildweasel wrote:
Ethril wrote:Ah, punching Nazis never gets old. Would still be nice to have some kind of knife or something, though. shovelshovelshovelshovelshovel
If I end up shuffling the trench shotgun out of the chainsaw spawn, the shovel might make it in.
YAY! :3:
marble

Post by marble »

wildweasel wrote:
What would they be shooting instead?

more rocket shooting enemies, and some magic tossing dudes perhaps?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

wildweasel wrote:
Vict wrote:To further elaborate: I have enough shotgun shells to supply a small militia, but no shotgun. It seems that Epic2.wad is very dependent on this weapon...
Opinions on making the shotgun pickup randomly spawn either a G43 or a trench shotgun?
I would personally swap the pickups. The rifles drop often enough from infantry that having the G43 in the chainsaw slot won't normally be to debilitating.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”