[Widescreenfriendly] TUTNT, Austerity, TCotD2

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

[Widescreenfriendly] TUTNT, Austerity, TCotD2

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just as a little note for you people... (copy+paste win)
While most of the projects online here at the Realm667 are widescreen-compatible without any problems (especially the recent ones), I noticed already several times, that The Ultimate Torment & Torture ultimately sucks at 16:9 resolutions. It was always a pain for me to see this as I am one of those perfectionists who simply want their projects to look 100% fine without any flaws. Fortunately I did have the time to fix this yesterday and uploaded a new file to the Realm667 as well as the /idgames repository. No need to post a changelog as there have only been changes to the fullscreen graphics and nothing else, but I just wanted to let you know about this. If you find other projects around here that fail at 16:9 resolutions, just let me know, and I will see if I can fix these as well.
You can get the latest file over at http://www.realm667.com. And please let me know if you can find other projects with flaws in 16:9 resolutions so I can fix them. I know, it's only a little aesthetic thing, but as I said, it's necessary in my eyes!

Cheers,
Dan

*UPDATE*
Also uploaded a new version of Austerity and TCoTD2 with widescreen friendly graphics and stuff.
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Z86

Re: [v1.07] The Ultimate Torment & Torture

Post by Z86 »

What was the problem with widescreen? Maybe the Pyrocannon sprite?
Nash

Post by Nash »

TCOTD2 wasn't widescreen friendly last I played...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, it's been a couple of years - maybe more - since I ran a poll in the off topic section to find out how many people were using wide screen resolutions. Even back then it was more than half of the people who voted. Nowadays it just makes sense to try and produce projects that are as wide screen compatible as possible. Extra credit for going back and fixing up an already released project though Torm. :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Z86 wrote:What was the problem with widescreen? Maybe the Pyrocannon sprite?
The Pyrocannon is an issue I can life with, the main problem was actually all the graphics for the cutscenes and stuff. But hey, even that is fixed now :P

@Nash - What's been the main problem with TCOTD2?

@Enjay - That has been a real problem actually that I never thought of before, but most of the people now tend to have a widescreen monitor and projects simply should stay looking good in the future ;)
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I use a widescreen setup, but I play Fat Doom.
Tormentor667

Re: [Widescreenfriendly] TUTNT, KDiZD, TCotD2

Post by Tormentor667 »

Fat Doom certainly sucks :P
bgraybr

Post by bgraybr »

Heh, Fat Doom is annoying.

I've always wondered, whats the "correct" aspect ratio for Doom, Heretic, and Hexen? I'm never sure, so I usually set it to automatic in Zdoom and it works fine at my resolution.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

So next to TCotD2, KDiZD and UTNT, anything else you noticed?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

bgraybr wrote:Heh, Fat Doom is annoying.

I've always wondered, whats the "correct" aspect ratio for Doom, Heretic, and Hexen? I'm never sure, so I usually set it to automatic in Zdoom and it works fine at my resolution.
16:10. If you play Doom on a 16:10 montior without setting a widescreen res it will look correct. Squares will actually be squares.

I do use a 16:9 monitor, so it's not actually that fat :P

At least not as fat as PSX Doom ...
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

scalliano wrote:
bgraybr wrote:Heh, Fat Doom is annoying.

16:10. If you play Doom on a 16:10 montior without setting a widescreen res it will look correct. Squares will actually be squares.
Er... :?
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

esselfortium wrote:
scalliano wrote:16:10. If you play Doom on a 16:10 montior without setting a widescreen res it will look correct. Squares will actually be squares.
Er... :?
No, he's correct. If you play Doom on a 16:10 monitor without aspect ratio correction (it assumes that you're using a 4x3 monitor), the pixels will appear 1x1, not 5x6 in ratio.
esselfortium

Re: [Widescreenfriendly] TUTNT, Austerity, TCotD2

Post by esselfortium »

But 1x1 isn't "correct" in Doom, thus my post.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Sodaholic wrote:No, he's correct. If you play Doom on a 16:10 monitor without aspect ratio correction (it assumes that you're using a 4x3 monitor), the pixels will appear 1x1, not 5x6 in ratio.
That's true, however it's not the "correct" aspect ratio DooM (and any other 320x200 game) was made for.

(I prefer 16:10 and true square, but the original design was not that way.)

Also yay, succinct esselninja. :P
Sodaholic

Re: [Widescreenfriendly] TUTNT, Austerity, TCotD2

Post by Sodaholic »

I want to know though, did id actually care about the 5x6 pixels when it comes to the game world? (yeah, I know they bothered when it came to 2d, like the titlescreen and intermission and stuff) The press release section of the Doom bible (claimed that Wolfenstein's walls were 8x8x8 feet) and the ReadMe that came with the 0.4 alpha (claims player can climb up to 3 feet) all suggest that id's scale was 8 pixels per foot, regardless of weather it was vertical or horizontal.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”