"NOCLIP2" Cheat

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

"NOCLIP2" Cheat

Post by Xaser »

I propose an alternative to NOCLIP that works similarly to the Quake series' no-clipping modes. It works similarly to ZDoom's regular no-clipping mode, with the following differences:
  • The player is not subject to gravity.
  • The player's z-movement is completely unrestricted (i.e. he/she is allowed to fly above ceilings and below floors). This is the main thing that separates it from standard NOCLIP + FLY.
The big advantage to this would be allowing players to NOCLIP above and below 3D floors easily. As it is, using standard NOCLIP alongside 3D floors is really tricky since you're still blocked from moving up or down where the 3D floor is present.

It doesn't seem necessary to expose this behavior to other actors, since I think that applying +NOINTERACTION is close enough to this effect as far as non-players are concerned (since giving +NOINTERACTION to players has trippy side effects). But don't let that stop you from adding it anyway if I'm wrong or it's easy enough to do. :P
Enjay

Re: "NOCLIP2" Cheat

Post by Enjay »

That would be nice. Sometimes when making and testing maps with 3D floors, it would be very useful to be able to clip up/down through the floors rather than have to run around in the void to try and find a floor of the right height and then run in to the play area to inspect the correct location relative to the 3D floor (at least that's what I do :P ).
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Would be interesting if the cheat disabled movement acceleration/deceleration, much like Quake's. Although it then may become hard to distinguish ZDoom from DB2's visual editor. :P
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Agreed.
Also, I suggest make the camera don't bob like in the Fly cheat.
Enjay wrote:That would be nice. Sometimes when making and testing maps with 3D floors, it would be very useful to be able to clip up/down through the floors rather than have to run around in the void to try and find a floor of the right height and then run in to the play area to inspect the correct location relative to the 3D floor (at least that's what I do :P ).
Correct. The most painful part, is, when you find the correct location to walk over the 3D floor, but acidently, you get too close to the border, and you fall, and have to repeat the course all over again D:
Depending of the project size and how much 3D floors it uses, This feature could save precious minutes to hours of playtesting.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Yes please, I use NOCLIP combined with FLY all the time but it can be fiddly at times.

Also, why is it that when spectating in Skulltag you cannot fly under 3D floors?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

CaptainToenail wrote:Also, why is it that when spectating in Skulltag you cannot fly under 3D floors?
No. The reason you cannot pass through floors and walls in Skulltag is because the spectator actor is still subject to full clipping. It's just an actor that has no height, which is what lets you pass below doors.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

No. I wasn't referring to no-clipping there. I'm well aware that when spectating you have full clipping. But you cannot fly under 3D floors, why is that?
plausiblesarge

Post by plausiblesarge »

CaptainToenail wrote:No. I wasn't referring to no-clipping there. I'm well aware that when spectating you have full clipping. But you cannot fly under 3D floors, why is that?
it is because of the hacky way that 3d floors are implemented within the doom engine
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

plausiblesarge wrote:
CaptainToenail wrote:No. I wasn't referring to no-clipping there. I'm well aware that when spectating you have full clipping. But you cannot fly under 3D floors, why is that?
it is because of the hacky way that 3d floors are implemented within the doom engine
That doesn't really help much.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I know the Spectator is 0 units tall, but the view height is still around 40 and MaxStepHeight still applies. This has messed me up on occasion with 3D mid textures.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

This would be fancy... You know, I wonder if it's considered a viable hack to give yourself an object that adds +NOINTERACTION. After all, that does allow full freedom.

Still I agree, this would be a helpful tool.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

I don't know well the code, but I suppose it's needed a radical change to the movement code.
You have to make the generic actor able to do as NOCLIP2 says, then you should impose that almost all of the predefined actors (the ones in the game) cannot NOCLIP2... I can see hell in this work.

Just sayin'

[edit] Where's the piece of the code where there're the constraints? An idea could be:

Code: Select all

if (!NOCLIP2)
{
     //piece of code with costraints
}
else
{
     //piece of code without costraints
}
[edit2]maybe a better name for such variable should be "FLY2"...
H3llraich

Post by H3llraich »

I wonder if they'll actually put this in... It should be pretty apparent, though, considering the feedback this suggestion has received.
Nash

Post by Nash »

feedback != [Added]

:P
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Added in r3832.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”