[Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [Standalone RPG/weapons mods]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Ultimate DooMer

[Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [Standalone RPG/weapons mods]

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I made these a while ago but decided to wait until I updated Serpent before releasing these:

Serpent RPG mod - A standalone version of the RPG system, which allows you to play Hexen and Deathkings with Serpent rules, weapons, items and everything else apart from the custom maps and monsters (the Hexen monsters will act like the Serpent ones in terms of health scaling and behaviour). It will also work with any pwads that don't have any custom weapons/monsters/items, although it's best played with mapsets that have 3+ hubs. (I tried it with some 3-hub episodes I compiled a decade ago from classic hubs in /idgames, and it works fine)

DRD link
idgames link

Serpent Weapons mod - Just the weapons. Ideal for those who don't like Hexen's limited weapon set, and this will work with any iwad and pwad that doesn't have custom weapons.

DRD link
idgames link

The differences are in the text file, but here's the main ones:

Blue & green stuff spawns where blue used to be, and yellow & red stuff spawns where green used to be. Both give only half the usual amount (rounded) to maintain the balance. (this is the only change present in both mods, the rest are RPG mod only)

Serpent items replace the various Hexen ones, most using shared spawns with equal chance of appearing. (in some cases nothing will spawn, depending on what item it is)

Serpent armour replaces Hexen armour in a similar fashion, but they are grouped in terms of class usage (ie. fighter only, fighter/cleric and all three) so that each class gets the same each time. The exception is dragonskin bracers, the replacement here can be any of the 7 types.

Shopping is handled with an item that you can use once every 30 mins, it teleports you to a shops/holy temple map and leaving this map will take you back to the map you were on before.
Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cyanosis

Re: [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [Standalone RPG/weapons mo

Post by Cyanosis »

Oh wow nice. I haven't played Serpent yet but I'll be sure to check these out!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The RPG mod is great, but the weapons are lame.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Having problems getting this working. Running serp-rpg.pk3 and serp-rpg.wad via ZDL. Game is original Hexen. The game loads up fine but when the game tells me to roll my attributes, I see nothing on the screen. Spacebar does nothing. I go ahead and continue, and then the game says if I have no weapons and attributes are zero (which I don't have), I did it too fast. I did it one more time but much slower, still no weapons or attributes.

These are the same similar files I'm running when playing the original Serpent: Resurrection wad. (The one in the other thread, the custom made wad with the island etc.) This seems to work, so I don't understand why it's not here. If I'm supposed to be in a different area like the room with the two switches for rolling attributes, I"m not there. Instead, I'm in the first level of Hexen.
The Ultimate DooMer

Have you tried running it with a bat file? And what GZDoom version are you running?

(it runs fine off the bat file using GZDoom r990 or r1104)

The reason you don't start in a different area is because it's designed to run with any mapset, therefore I can't provide a different starting area. So I froze everything at the start of map 01 and used jump/crouch instead to roll attributes.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Oh my god I'm so stupid. The .bat file wasn't needed/was the problem. It wasn't working because I was pushing spacebar thinking that it was binded to jump, but it never was. I've never really run Hexen under GZDoom before, and when playing Doom I had spacebar set to jump. Forgot the controls needed to be reconfigured. :roll:
Zaero

Post by Zaero »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:I tried it with some 3-hub episodes I compiled a decade ago from classic hubs in /idgames, and it works fine
Could you upload them (if it's legal to do so)?
If not, could you describe the method of merging hubs from different wads :?:
The Ultimate DooMer

It won't be legal to distribute them (even though the authors have probably fell off the face of the earth by now), and merging them can be anything from easy to hard depending on how they were made :P

Usually maps that trigger scripts on other maps cause the trouble (if it's a hub that's being moved from map01-06) and there was 1 hub that (needlessly) included the map number in EVERY script (painful). Another hub wasn't finished (so I added a boss area), and one or two minor alterations were also needed in some cases to fix bugs and in one case to facilitate the shops setup (this map was split in two entirely, so I needed to add a teleport in the 1st half that opened when you entered the 2nd half).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”