[ON HOLD] Pokémon DOOM: Titanium

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Re: (WIP) Pokémon DOOM: Titanium

Post by Kate »

Big C wrote:Who made those combo-attack Hexen mage staff sprite animations?
The staff is a placeholder. It was made by NeoWorm. This is diverging a bit off-topic, though.
marble

Post by marble »

That dimesion 72 thing looks pretty cool, is there a link to download it anywhere?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

It is unfinished. Once there's enough for a playable demo of sorts (which also depends on Xaser's input among other things), I'll post it here in projects.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Just a quick notification on progress. The wads have been updated accordingly.
  1. Fixed a bug where Poison types were entirely unaffected by any status effects.
  2. Master Balls and Rare Candies can no longer be bought at the Item Shop. You must find them on the map. They can still be sold, however.
  3. Added the Acid and Toxic sprays. They do no direct damage but inflict status effects upon enemies. They whittle down health slowly and make monsters easier to catch.
  4. Wild monsters give 2x their usual cash when defeated. The balance should be better now, fwiw.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

First of all I'd like to say that this mod is friggin' awesome, and I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red. Major props to you for doing something that changes the way Doom works quite a bit, but is still a lot of fun, and looks very slick for a fan production.

One thing I noticed: The sprites for the Full Restore (and its lookalikes) appear to have their right half cut off.

I take it you're not supposed to be able to capture Spider Masterminds yet? Because things tend to go very bad when you do. :lol:
-I got a "divide by zero in script (crap, can't remember the script number)" after capturing it. This happened in every new level I entered after that.
-Every monster was renamed to MASTERMIND.
-The 'ball status' thingy above the monster's name wouldn't refresh: It would show a monster as fainted if it had done so in the last level, even though it was summonable in the current one.
-The HP and AP numbers for each monster were at zero, yet still in green and blue, respectively, and it was still fighting.
-The "Target" window in the upper right no longer showed up.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

amv2k9 wrote:One thing I noticed: The sprites for the Full Restore (and its lookalikes) appear to have their right half cut off.
GZDoom issue.
amv2k9 wrote:I take it you're not supposed to be able to capture Spider Masterminds yet? Because things tend to go very bad when you do. :lol:
-I got a "divide by zero in script (crap, can't remember the script number)" after capturing it. This happened in every new level I entered after that.
-Every monster was renamed to MASTERMIND.
-The 'ball status' thingy above the monster's name wouldn't refresh: It would show a monster as fainted if it had done so in the last level, even though it was summonable in the current one.
-The HP and AP numbers for each monster were at zero, yet still in green and blue, respectively, and it was still fighting.
-The "Target" window in the upper right no longer showed up.
Sounds like a very, very bad case of MISSINGNO. That means there's global array corruption occurring somewhere. Unfortunately it's really, really hard to track down these types of bugs so don't expect feedback on it any time soon x.x I'll try to figure it out though if I can get it to happen reliably.

Right now though, I'm working on something related (Mystery Base), so Titanium itself is kind of suspended production for now.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Pink Silver wrote:That means there's global array corruption occurring somewhere. Unfortunately it's really, really hard to track down these types of bugs so don't expect feedback on it any time soon x.x I'll try to figure it out though if I can get it to happen reliably.
Huh. I'll open up the wad and start spawning different levels of Mastermind to see if I can replicate this. And I'll post the script number too.
Ethril

Re: [ON HOLD] Pokémon DOOM: Titanium

Post by Ethril »

if you spawn the replacement monster directly it causes the divide by zero error, because it spawns a level zero monster (which is the actual problem; if you force levels to always be at least one it probably won't happen)
spawn the original and let it be replaced on its own and it's fine

btw you can fix that particular error yourself by puking the script that it says failed. at least, i was able to.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

yeah, summoning the monster actors directly isn't really supported, because there are scripts that need to run to actually set their level and initial stats properly.
krokots

Post by krokots »

If a monster attack almost immediately after summoning, it's size stay tiny.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Known bug. I simply forgot to set the NoPain flag temporarily when they go through their “sending out” animation so they don't get interrupted. Fixed that now.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Do you thinking about evolutions? Is it looks like "Zombieman -> Shotgun Guy -> Chaingun Guy"?

Sorry for my English :<
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

mallo wrote:Do you thinking about evolutions? Is it looks like "Zombieman -> Shotgun Guy -> Chaingun Guy"?
Not really necessary, at least I think. For example, Imps turn into absolute BEASTS when they hit Lv20; their fireballs turn into triple-ball spreads. I see these things taking down Cyberdemons. That's the farthest I've gotten any monster, though. I'm trying to go through with just a Seargant to see how those things change.

Found another error. I was playing Chris Lutz's Episode 3 replacement and got this:

Code: Select all

Error: Starter not set. Check your code.
Happened in the first map, which has no monsters, and also the second, which does. Dunno quite what it meant, because the game did start me off with a monster.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I put that there for user code. It's not a problem necessarily, it just means that I haven't set any Grass or Water starters for the Doom Pokédex, which means that selecting those starters will just give you a Zombieman for now until I actually do set something proper for them. Use the Fire-type starter for now to avoid getting those messages.

I'll fix it proper eventually when I get evolutions working (Yes I am going to go on with implementing them, but they'll be optional like the original game, with lower-level monsters gaining better attacks with leveling like the imp does now) and finally get around to making proper monsters. I will need help with ideas for the various monsters however. I'll want to keep it as diverse as possible though I'm not necessarily ruling out the idea of variants on existing monsters, like the Imp, which will have a variant on each type a la Eevee.
Last edited by Kate on Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Pink Silver wrote:I will need help with ideas for the various monsters however.
Ideas:
Grass-Type Starter: Vine Demon
Fires +FLOORHUGGER vines at enemies. Possibility of immobilizing affected enemy.

Water-Type Starter: Amorph Zombie
Moves slowly on land, speediliy on water, nukage, etc. floors. More resistant to bullet & physical attacks (they pass right through), less resistant to energy-based attacks.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”