[Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- Seeking dev assistance re:ZScript

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ethril

Re: [Fun] Jimmy's Jukebox v6 -- Project ON HOLD

Post by Ethril »

I've been playing this with AEoD for the ULTIMATE RANDOMIZATION EXPERIENCE TO THE MAX!!1 and the songs seem to be oddly prophetic at times. This one map had "Diamonds" as its music, and I encountered three Diamond Elementals in it (Out of four Cyberdemons-class monsters; The other one was Eidolon in a small room. Just my luck. :stuppor:).

Also I had no idea that song was called "Sweaty Mancubus Armpits" and I will always be nauseous when playing its corresponding level from now on. I'm going to blame you for this.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A version that was compatible with Doom (and other supported games?) would be nice if Jimmy (or anyone else) ever fancies giving it a go.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

It would definitely involve a lot of work, which at current I'm not prepared to summon up the free time or patience to undertake.

However, in the event that any one else would like to help this project along so that the elusive v7 may see the light of day, I will revitalize it. :)
Ethril wrote:Also I had no idea that song was called "Sweaty Mancubus Armpits" and I will always be nauseous when playing its corresponding level from now on. I'm going to blame you for this.
My work here is done. 8-) *speeds off*
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Jimmy wrote:It would definitely involve a lot of work, which at current I'm not prepared to summon up the free time or patience to undertake.
I guessed that would be the case. :)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I wanted to have Jimmy's midis along with 72, but my own mod is so script-heavy that it breaks terribly when jukebox is loaded directly, so instead I decided to throw together a script to allow it to integrate with Oblige, which can be found here.

To use it, stick the lua script in the mods/ folder in Oblige's root folder, and stick j-jukebox.wad in the mods/data/ folder.

Unfortunately you'll miss out on the "Now Playing" info and playlist re-shuffling that the jukebox can do, when it's used as a music resource, but it also won't interfere with any gameplay mods that might be loaded, if they happen to heavily rely on scripts.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I'm gonna give this a go with Oblige now, Kate. This sounds awesome. :D

As to why Jukebox is incompatible with 72... could it just be nasty ol' conflicting script numbers, or is there something far more technically disastrous going on between the two mods? :?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Jimmy wrote:something far more technically disastrous going on between the two mods? :?
It's a bit more dangerous than that - I use player arrays to control the max health and lives of each player, however you store the playlist in arrays 0 and 1, which contain the lives and maximum health value for each player, respectively. So when you generate a new playlist, it scrambles the number of lives and the maximum health you start with. When you die, the lives value is modified, which changes the playlist entries.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hmm... so the problem is loading libraries on top of one other and they overwrite. To me, that doesn't sound like it can be gotten around just at the moment, at least with the way ACS currently works. :? Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Anyway, my obsession with Oblige was starting to wear thin, but this is awesome. :3: I have just two suggestions, take them as you will:
  • (1) D_THE_DA and D_READ_M were the same in the WAD I just generated, which means that "no repeats" isn't yet an option. Is this doable at all?
    (2) How about, also, a way of exporting the generated music into a separate WAD?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

1: Actually no repeats doesn't apply to story or intermission music because it's generated in a separate cycle than the levels, however I can probably move the no-repeats table outside the local scope, which will allow me to make it apply to those as well, just a little bit of rearranging, really.

2: Not possible simply due to the way that oblige functions. It can only merge resources into its' own output wad, it cannot create other wads.

There, I just fixed 1. You can redownload at the same link above.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Very cool stuff. :D Cheers.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Isn't the "ZDoom" track a remix of TNT map04 "Death Bells"?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I believe it is. Guess I should credit TeamTNT as well as Lexus for that one...
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've been making odd changes to this project here and there and it's coming along nicely.

Changes made so far:
  • Restructuring of the custom controls in the menu (default binds now integrate the numpad a lot more efficiently).
  • Track swapping. Bind a key, then select two tracks in the current playlist and they will be swapped.
  • Playlist saving. Using a combination of the CCMD "logfile" and a new script, playlists can be "exported" and "imported" in-game.
Still on my to-do list:
  • In-game jukebox menu with MENUDEF.
  • Add some more soundtracks (such as Eternal Doom III and possibly Icarus). The separation of the main array into its own library has freed up memory for the compiler.
  • Rewrite some parts of the library to allow for custom filters (such as per-author) and episodic playlists.
  • Redo MAP00 to make it slightly more attractive and expansive.
So, the long-awaited (?) v7 is drawing close to completion. Is there anything else people would like to suggest for this mod?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Jimmy wrote:So, the long-awaited (?) v7 is drawing close to completion. Is there anything else people would like to suggest for this mod?
Heretic's music, perhaps?

Chex Quest 3 has some cool tunes too. :P
Jimmy

Re: [Fun] Jimmy's Jukebox v6 -- [v7 still in the works...]

Post by Jimmy »

You're right, actually. And I do love Andrew Benson's stuff. :P

(/me gets to work on an "IWADs" section of MAP00.)

EDIT: There's a slight problem, however, in that none of those songs, to my knowledge, have titles. :? Plus, Chex Quest 3's songs are episodic.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”