[Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: [Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Post by amv2k9 »

CKeen wrote:I may be wrong but some of the screenshots look like they're from Equinox.
I'm almost positive the first is from Vrack3b.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

The links have been fixed.
bgraybr wrote:Not exactly on topic, but what's the name of the level/wad in the first screenshot?
The first screenshot is from Vrack 3. The rest are from Equinox except for the last 2, which are from Kama Sutra and Doom 2 respectively.
caco_killer wrote:-Bobs do not always drop ammo like they are supposed to when killed.
They actually do drop ammo, just not all the time.
caco_killer wrote:-There's not enough ammo in the levels. The Marathon games teleported ammo into the levels.
Marathon itself wasn't exactly generous with ammo either, and I wanted to make the player a bit more conscientious about ammo use. Fists can take care of most enemies nicely.
caco_killer wrote:- You should implement recharge stations. The current system makes taking damage extremely punishing. The armor potions are few and far between. All the armor potions give the same amount of armor as well.
Er, how would this work? The recharge stations in Marathon are built into the levels themselves. Something like that can't really be reproduced in a simple gameplay mod. The armor potions themselves don't actually give the same amounts of armor, its just that the HUD can't display past a certain amount. Actually I was thinking of implementing a Halo style armor/health recharge system for the future, but I think this would deviate too far from the system Marathon uses.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

caco_killer wrote:- You should implement recharge stations. The current system makes taking damage extremely punishing. The armor potions are few and far between. All the armor potions give the same amount of armor as well.
TwelveEyes wrote:Er, how would this work? The recharge stations in Marathon are built into the levels themselves. Something like that can't really be reproduced in a simple gameplay mod.
The closest I can think of is make a RandomSpawner that has a low chance of spawning a full health powerup... but that's totally random.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

TwelveEyes wrote:
caco_killer wrote:-Bobs do not always drop ammo like they are supposed to when killed.
They actually do drop ammo, just not all the time.
I think what he was referring to is that Bobs are supposed to always drop ammo, not just sometimes.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Sodaholic wrote:I think what he was referring to is that Bobs are supposed to always drop ammo, not just sometimes.
They don't drop ammo in Marathon all the time either.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Well, I was only going off of what he said.

Anyway, the Marathon 1's music was made at a time when the quicktime midi instruments were different, and updates to it have made it closer to the standard GM set. The problem with this is that the original music doesn't sound like it should anymore. I have assembled a version with corrected instrumentation here for you to use: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4rvy9m0uoi5tdr8
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Sodaholic wrote:Anyway, the Marathon 1's music was made at a time when the quicktime midi instruments were different, and updates to it have made it closer to the standard GM set. The problem with this is that the original music doesn't sound like it should anymore.
Thanks. I was wondering how I would fix that. I'll use it for the next version.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

TwelveEyes wrote:Marathon itself wasn't exactly generous with ammo either, and I wanted to make the player a bit more conscientious about ammo use. Fists can take care of most enemies nicely.
Imagine if Doom gave you a permanent Berserk and 25% as much ammo. That wouldn't be too much fun, would it?
Forcing the player to use melee combat in a FPS due to lack of ammo is a bad idea.

Of course it's obviously not THAT extreme, I'm just saying.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Perhaps health items should be usable, and it drains how much they have in them. Kinda like the recharge stations in Half-Life.
t3h m00kz

Post by t3h m00kz »

Forgive my idiotic question, I'm a total noob at Zdoom, but I can't seem to get this to run properly. I'm assuming this has custom made maps, judging from the screenshots.. however, when I drag and drop over Zdoom and select Doom2.wad as the iwad, I just get regular Doom2 with Marathon weapons, no hud. Am I doing anything wrong?

Oh, also, you may want to look into getting the updated sprites for this.. you can access them if you have the XBLA version of Marathon 2.

More info here:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthre ... -Aleph-One
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

t3h m00kz wrote:I'm assuming this has custom made maps, judging from the screenshots..
Sorry, but this is only a gameplay mod. There are no custom maps whatsoever. Feel free to play through some nice megawads with it though.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Can I ask, how did you rip the graphics and sounds from Marathon? I've been trying to use a few utilities, but they don't work very well.
Sir_Toast

Post by Sir_Toast »

Sodaholic wrote:Can I ask, how did you rip the graphics and sounds from Marathon? I've been trying to use a few utilities, but they don't work very well.
I'm willing to bet that he used something like ShapeFusion. http://shapefusion.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps. :)
t3h m00kz

Post by t3h m00kz »

TwelveEyes wrote:
t3h m00kz wrote:I'm assuming this has custom made maps, judging from the screenshots..
Sorry, but this is only a gameplay mod. There are no custom maps whatsoever. Feel free to play through some nice megawads with it though.
goycha. Any idea why a HUD would not be showing up? I've used + and - and all I get is a blank screen and one of the default huds.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

t3h m00kz wrote:goycha. Any idea why a HUD would not be showing up? I've used + and - and all I get is a blank screen and one of the default huds.
Do you have ZDoom's AltHUD on? That'll override any HUD packaged in a wad.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”