[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by NeuralStunner »

Reminds me of JustinC's art style, which works well in the right context. (That is, with the other art in a similar outlined style.)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Gez wrote:"Doomish" and "angled weapon" are two fundamentally incompatible notions anyway.
Scuba would like to have a word with you.

But yes, it's slightly non-Doomish because of the style of shading. Not that it's bad at all, though -- I like. ;)
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

The colors and shading itself seem okay, so it's the outlining that keeps it from being too Doomish. Not sure if there's any way to tone that down nicely, but it might improve its ability to fit in the game.
DrDoctor

Post by DrDoctor »

I'm trying to make the gun a little less cartoonish. I got 3 three types and I like to know which one you guys think is the best one.
variants.png
variants.png (29.92 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Type 1 - (clean) softened up the outlines, accented the end of the barrel slightly, added a glow to the lights.
Type 2 - (dirty) built from type 1
Type 3 - (dirty and slightly banged up)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

What you have got to do to make un-cartoonify it is to change the black outlines with more of a metal shine.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The detailed parts of the gun have too much contrast.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The points that icy and ww mention are both correct and a very quick and dirty mess around with contrast does indeed help these areas, or at least start to address them (much more work would still be needed).

However, I still think that there is something a bit cartoony and inherently undoomy in the weapon. It's not a bad weapon - far from it. It's very cool. However, I'm not sure that it could ever look totally Doomy.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

The reason it looks cartoon is because the lines on it looks like they're drawn onto the surface. Making them less black and then adding some back lighting to the weapon would make it look less cartoony. Otherwise, a pretty nice looking weapon :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Remember that a lot of Doom's weapons graphics were digitized photos with some touching up. So thick or dark outlines are often going to begin to take away from that "feel", as those kind of borders aren't present in photos except under certain lighting.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

If it helps, look what I did to the Assault Rifle in TSAT. (originally very cartoony)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:The points that icy and ww mention are both correct and a very quick and dirty mess around with contrast does indeed help these areas, or at least start to address them (much more work would still be needed).

However, I still think that there is something a bit cartoony and inherently undoomy in the weapon. It's not a bad weapon - far from it. It's very cool. However, I'm not sure that it could ever look totally Doomy.
That's the first step in the right direction
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Something i'm working on
SHTGA01_new.png
SHTGA01_new.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 780 times
It's an improved version of the original shotgun. I based it on the extended press release beta sprite, and took parts from the alpha shotgun (like the wider muzzle and the wooden grip that sticks out), and made some adjustments with hand (mostly coloring, and making the reflections on the original shotty less symmetric)

It should look more consistent with the cocking animation. It still needs firing frames.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Z86 wrote:It's an improved version of the original shotgun.
Looks pretty nice, although I dislike the wide muzzle from the Alphas. What the Shotgun really needs is a darker, more contrasted metal shine down the barrel. It's always looked pretty flat to me, out of all the weapons it looks the most blocky and lifeless until it's actually in motion.
The_Funktasm

Post by The_Funktasm »

A Russian Makarov and PB silenced pistol I've been working on.
makarov and pb.png
Comments welcome as usual.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I don't know if this is just me but the silencer on the PB looks like it's bent upwards slightly.

Return to “General”