Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Virtue

Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Post by Virtue »

This is an unnoficial rework and total cleanup of the legendary Aliens TC that came when Doom modding was in it's infancy. Credited as the first ever TC, it was a blast to play and very scary. This update and conversion into Zdoom brings the mod into the 21st century. There are new weapons, monsters, and every level has been scoured and cleaned up.

Please note, I am not in anyway detracting from the original mod, this is a fan edit and I in no way take credit for the original levels or graphics.

There is a lot of new things in the mod, including 4 brand new enemies, factions, 2 new weapons, Alien Trilogy weapons sprites, reloading, fog effects, race specific blood, ambient sounds and interactive scenery. The maps have had a slight reworking and a clean up, as well as a rejig.

Mirror:

As I said, this is a fan edit, I hope I've done the TC justice because I have put a lot of effort into this!

EDIT: Also uploaded a music wad, using the Aliens soundtack

http://www.sendspace.com/file/96lulu

UPDATE: REV 04 of the mod is up, new stuff includes: Flares and the Torch from Dr Doctors E3m1 remake, and a couple of bug fixes
http://www.mediafire.com/?54esswxx2agw7ad

Heres Dr Doctor's excellent E3M1 Alien Host Ship level: http://www.sendspace.com/file/51bqnf
Last edited by Virtue on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Virtue

Re: Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Post by Virtue »

Someone complained the megaupload link not working so ive added a mirror
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looking forward to trying this out. I love the Aliens TC and I made my own private "cleanup" of it a number of years ago (of which no copies exist). But that was before DECORATE and possibly even before Zdoom.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

yeah, i did the same, but decided to convert it all into decorate.

There are a few things which are still to be done but it is more or less finished. Any other suggestions welcome!

Also I forgot to mention, a few weapons have alt-fire, and there may be a few surprises in terms of enemies along the way ;)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ben2k9 wrote:EDIT: can someone move this to projects please?
Taken care of.

I look forward to this, myself - my first experience with the original TC, incidentally, was playing it split-screen in Doom Legacy in 2000. =P
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

I loved doom legacy for that!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I love this idea! Though i would suggest a couple of things:

A) The levels still need quite a lot of work, mainly in the texture department. There is still a lot of misalligned textures, original Doom textures (which feel odd seing as there is a plentiful supply of Aliens themed textures out there nowadays) and many bland and oddly shaped areas. Perhaps some new textures and added detail.

B) One shoutgun blast right up-close should be enough to bring one of those warriors down. What makes them dangerous is not how tough they are but rather their numbers and the fact that they bleed acid, which should injure the player if he/she is too close to one when they die. I would recomend two-three pistol shots and one shotgun blast to kill them. Facehuggers should require one-two pistol shots.

C) New music, original Doom music just doesn't feel right.

D) New alien sprites? Like with the textures I believe there is enough resources out there for it.

Other than that i really like this idea, the weapons feel like they belong but perhaps you could replace the fist with the pistol and have it use infinite ammo, but still reload after 10 shots. Punching aliens just seem stupid and suicidal. Or maybe replace the fist with a cattle prod or that cutting tool they use in the movie.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

What happened to all the speech? The original TC messed with some decorations having See sounds, I think, to trigger speech samples like "Check those corners!" and "Whatever happened here, we missed it" at the end of E2M1.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:What happened to all the speech? The original TC messed with some decorations having See sounds, I think, to trigger speech samples like "Check those corners!" and "Whatever happened here, we missed it" at the end of E2M1.
Agreed. To me the speech was a defining feature of the TC (for my own version, I even added a few more phrases). IMO, they need to be there and, of course, it can be done far more cleanly and reliably in Zdoom.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I agree with CeeJay about the textures. I may wish to say that if new textures are added, it would be very convenient to just have them replace existing textures. The sky is way too bright, again, there should be a replacement.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

I wanted to keep the feel of the original mod...Also, about the speech....it really annoyed the hell out of me! besides, most of the characters are dead in the film by the time you play through the later levels, I wanted to give the feel of it was the aftermath of LV-426
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Ben2k9 wrote:I wanted to keep the feel of the original mod...Also, about the speech....it really annoyed the hell out of me! besides, most of the characters are dead in the film by the time you play through the later levels, I wanted to give the feel of it was the aftermath of LV-426
It ruins the spirit of the original TC. =P
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

So, Ben, are you saying that you don't want texture replacements? The Doom textures really don't fit Aliens, honestly. If the author had made the mod today, he probably would have used different textures, honestly. This is a cleanup project, is it not? So why not take this opportunity to replace the textures that don't fit Aliens? And it's not like retexturing would take much effort, just replace the existing ones.

Otherwise, nice job on this, so far. :)

EDIT: I might like to add that it would be nice if this could be for Doom 2, instead. Just rename the maps and do a little work in mapinfo is all.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

I do see where you're coming from Soda, its just finding textures to replace them with lol.

and also about music, i did at one point have music from Aliens and AvP but it bumped up the file size considerably (90mb), so i took it out.

In terms of Monster hardness, yes, this is a HARD mod, the alien warriors are pretty hard I know, I should probibly tone down the health a little..
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Well, you could just use ambient midis. I'll see if I can whip up a texture pack for you. :)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”