[Weapon] Who wants a new ssg?

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
hitmanx

[Weapon] Who wants a new ssg?

Post by hitmanx »

Hi all. I've been working on some stuff on the down low. Just finished this d64 super shotgun.

I wanted to see this gun reloaded in a different way so i whipped this up.

All sprites were done in photoshop then animated in flash, (i'm not sure if many people have tried this, but if you have flash you should really animate sprites with it, it's EXTREAMLY handy. And then i just exported the movie as a png sequence. Though the colours got messed up so if someone could tell me how i can avoid that when importing into xwe. Yes i use xwe, slade is confusing.

Anyway, it's all in a wad for convenience. Sounds are in there too. The sprites are all in order so it should be easy to code. I'd code it myself but i'm lazy.

(there is some motion blurring on the sprites too, but it's not the awesome xaser kind but the cheap kind.

ANYWAY, enough talk, enjoy. I hope you like it and get some use out of it. And use the sounds!

*edit: forgot to mention, there are some new hands done by me in there. If anyone is interested i'll upload the sprite sheet.

My super shotgun.zip - 0.60MB
Akira_98

Re: [Weapon] Who wants a new ssg?

Post by Akira_98 »

Well, it's nice. The first part of the reloading frames need a lot of smoothing out. Just rotating something like that will cause it to come out bad. Some pruning would help tremendously. The rest of the reloading needs a little work too, but it looks a lot better. I'm not sure how the motion blur would look in-game, but I'm interested in finding out. Unfortunately, too tired to animate it right now, so I'll have to look at it tomorrow later today.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I would appreciate a screenshot, really...
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

You really do need to see it in motion but very well. Also big thanks to the guy who did the d64 reload sprites.

Now i'm aware these sprites are a bit jaggy, but it saved A LOT of time eliminating photoshops anti aliasing crap, and there are 75 sprites so it would have taken a much longer time. But this was a bit of a test too, to see if the community liked it. I guess i sacrificed image quality for animation quality. I see a lot of mods have many duplicate frames and seem to think that more frames = smoother = better but it still comes out boring (this is not a personal attack on anyone COUNTLESS mods do this, i suppose because it is easy) so i've tried to make a smooth animation with a lot of frames, but with important frames, i'm sick of the whole slide gun off screen slightly so we don't have to animate a hand kind of thing. But not everyone is an animator so i understand.

So yeah, if anyone likes my style feel free to send me some weapon sprites and i'll animate them for you.
Attachments
download the wad!
download the wad!
ssg preview.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
WWII44

Post by WWII44 »

hitmanx wrote:You really do need to see it in motion but very well. Also big thanks to the guy who did the d64 reload sprites.

Now i'm aware these sprites are a bit jaggy, but it saved A LOT of time eliminating photoshops anti aliasing crap, and there are 75 sprites so it would have taken a much longer time. But this was a bit of a test too, to see if the community liked it. I guess i sacrificed image quality for animation quality. I see a lot of mods have many duplicate frames and seem to think that more frames = smoother = better but it still comes out boring (this is not a personal attack on anyone COUNTLESS mods do this, i suppose because it is easy) so i've tried to make a smooth animation with a lot of frames, but with important frames, i'm sick of the whole slide gun off screen slightly so we don't have to animate a hand kind of thing. But not everyone is an animator so i understand.

So yeah, if anyone likes my style feel free to send me some weapon sprites and i'll animate them for you.
It looks like you took the coachgun from R667 and recolored it bluish black then hacked of the end of the barrel. And I think the doom guy would have a really sore wrist from loading the shell into the gun like that. sorry if I seem a little harsh I'm just going Off what I see.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

I suppose i don't have the angle quite right, oh well.

And no the shotgun is the doom64 shotgun. That was animated in doom2 style. I forget who did that though.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Cage did the full frameset. Great stuff. :)

Anyhow, it certainly looks like it'll make a good animation, though the edges of the hands really do need some TLC and the reloading hand is skewed like crazy. Need to see what it looks like in-game first.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

hmm, so the general consensus is it needs to be not so jaggy.

You guys are picky :P

Nah i agree. It's just much more work. Unless someone knows how to make it smooth without all the horrible aa issues.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

There's no trick to it, just erase where it needs to be erased and fill in where it needs to be filled in. :D
WWII44

Post by WWII44 »

Also it looks lke the shells in the barrel are fused together.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Theres something that bugs me about the reloadframe's hand in some other way too. Wouldn't you place the shells into the shotgun with your right hand instead of the left hand?
Well i suppose it depends on the shotgun a lot, but in the position that the shotgun is, it looks like one would more likley hold the weapon with the left while taking the shells out of your pocket and place them in the barrels with your right hand :P

Return to “Resources”