[Release]Creating a Soul Cube in the original DooM style

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alvas

[Release]Creating a Soul Cube in the original DooM style

Post by Alvas »

It's not going to be anything huge but I've started on a Doom3 Soul Cube to be just another fun weapon. I'm considering making an Artifact as well. But anyway this is my first take with DECORATE and I thought I'd post it to see what you all think about it.

This Is an Unofficial Release, If I feel like messing with this again Then i will but for now this is it!
The cube has gone through several edits throughout this thread and here is the final product, I feel it is complete and if anyone has more suggestions for it, they should post the idea in this thread or PM me.
SCUBC0.png
SCUBC0.png (26.82 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
But without further ado: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... ulcube.zip
Last edited by Alvas on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustinC

Re: [WIP]Creating a Soul Cube in the original DooM style

Post by JustinC »

heh, i had made one that looks very similar.
Alvas

Post by Alvas »

Im planning on making a new sprite for the cube I'd like to see yours
skib

Post by skib »

The soul cube should be with the BFG and use some special ammo, also fire slower.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Well, it's nothing like the actual soul cube. It is indeed a WIP. Here's some suggestions though...

1) Try and make a smoother HUD animation, maybe also not have the re-sized hand, just the regular hand. Perhaps used the gloved version too.
2) Much slower rate of fire.
3) Don't have the projectile translucent.
4) Maybe also make it only have 1 ammo, and when it hits something make the explosion summon "the ammo" that chases back at you and then "gives you the ammo back" which would emulate how the soul cube flies back at you after it hits something. (That might be tricky to figure out though, I'm not the best with DECORATE myself so I'm not 100% sure if that'd work).

Sorry if that's throwing too much at you. I just felt like giving you some ideas/suggestions.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Xim wrote:Maybe also make it only have 1 ammo, and when it hits something make the explosion summon "the ammo" that chases back at you and then "gives you the ammo back" which would emulate how the soul cube flies back at you after it hits something. (That might be tricky to figure out though, I'm not the best with DECORATE myself so I'm not 100% sure if that'd work).
Doesn't one of Moloch's projectiles (the red Wraith variant) have a super-accurate homing function that you can't dodge? Might be a good place to start. You could also make the "ammo" have negative damage so that it gives you health when it comes back. Getting it to come back (and not give health) when it doesn't hit anything might be tricky, though.

This looks promising, though the HUD animation could be smoother.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Hope you don't mind, but here's a quick tweak I've done to try and replicate the "flying back to you" behaviour. Also, it can now be summoned using "SoulCubeGenerator". If the cube can't get back to you, it will drop to the floor. Not perfect, but give it a go anyway. Getting it to give health back to you may require monsters having custom pain/death states, though.
Attachments
soulcube_tweak.wad
(32.15 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Alvas

Post by Alvas »

I really like where this is going now, I was considering abandoning this project but now that I see more intrest in it I'm willing to keep it going
scalliano wrote:Hope you don't mind, but here's a quick tweak I've done to try and replicate the "flying back to you" behaviour. Also, it can now be summoned using "SoulCubeGenerator". If the cube can't get back to you, it will drop to the floor. Not perfect, but give it a go anyway. Getting it to give health back to you may require monsters having custom pain/death states, though.
I really liked this tweak lol I might just build off of it if that's alright with you. It looked really nice!

And as for the choppy HUD animation, it's completely temporary.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Alvas wrote:I really liked this tweak lol I might just build off of it if that's alright with you.
Of course.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Without meaning to jack your thread on you, I've continued tinkering with this idea myself, trying to replicate the Doom 3 behaviour more closely. While this isn't exactly the same (it behaves more like the star-blade thing from the movie Krull) I've managed to get it to always come back to you. Also knocked up a quick sprite set based on Xaser's suggestions. It only attacks after you kill 5 enemies and it only spins in your hands when it's ready to fire. I had to write custom pain and death states to get that and the health transfer to work properly, but there is a modified Zombie in the wad to show how it works.

As I said I don't mean to jack your thread, but I couldn't leave this alone or I'd have gone nuts :P
Attachments
SoulCube.wad
(114.75 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Alice Jameson

Post by Alice Jameson »

Just changed the sprites on scalliano's version. I replaced the hands with eriance's from the blood bane. I thought it looked more fitting.

Edit: Also forgot to mention I changed one line of decorate so that it replaced the original zombieman.
Attachments
SoulCube.wad
Edited Soul Cube
(134.74 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Last edited by Alice Jameson on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvas

Post by Alvas »

This is going so well, I don't understand a few of the concepts you have used but this looks amazing, I Feel like i need to contribute more haha

Omg this is amazing, I added two words to the decorate lump... "Replaces Zombieman"
so i wouldn't have to summon them to charge up the cube but is there anyway to rewrite this with out remaking every monster?
SoulCube.wad
(114.76 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

if you trying to create soulcube, create a new skill like nightmare on doom3, decreasing the health every 7 seconds and you start with the soulcube....
Alvas

Post by Alvas »

DOOMERO-21 wrote:if you trying to create soulcube, create a new skill like nightmare on doom3, decreasing the health every 7 seconds and you start with the soulcube....
I'm not sure what you mean... can I ask for more detail? Noob in the house --------------------------------------------------------->
lol
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

doom3 the skill nightmare you start with soulcube , killing 5 monster activate that weapon, but will be very easy play doom3 with the soulcube so, nightmare have other special thing; you lost health and stop when you have 25 %. To balance that thing, if soulcube gove you health when you kill a monster, nightmare take you health...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”