Doom of the dead

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DMPhobos

Doom of the dead

Post by DMPhobos »

Doom of the dead was a proyect that i was doing a few years ago, sadly i felt that it was to big for me to do all alone and i've abandoned it, however i've decided to release what was done.

At first the proyect was born from a experiment about doing a zombie infection apocalypse, after that i made a horde mod about zombies, and finaly i wanted to make a survival horror but the proyect died before finishing even a map...
still, just wanted to hear some opinions about it, even if it sucked, who knows, maybe is still worth to do a map or 2 again for this mod

here's the download link http://www.mediafire.com/?9g4o2zh1hl44bca

Edit
Since the zombies were overpowered and the weapons were somewhat weak you may want to download this patch too (it also fixes a stupid mistake in the mall)
Attachments
DOTDfix2.pk3
(197.7 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Last edited by DMPhobos on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trooper 077

Re: Doom of the dead

Post by Trooper 077 »

Really? This looks like it has a shitload of potential
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

This looks absolutely awesome, I hope you find the time to at least put a little more work into it, it's excellent.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Gave it a try

It's pretty cool, but the weapons were rather underwhelming. When you have 500 zombies closing in on you, you don't have time to empty an entire clip into a regular weak zombie and then knife the corpse so it can't get back up. You end up having to use the weak machine gun the most, though, because ammo boxes give you 400 ammo for it, as opposed to 10-20 for everything else.
The grenade launcher in particular was a huge disappointment. I expected the guy I hit directly to get gibbed. He didn't. I also expected the guys next to him to die. They didn't either. And the pipe bombs are a total waste of points. I blew one up right in the middle of a crowd of zombies and not one of them died. The sniper rifle was cool, but there's no time and place to sit there and shoot the same zombie 2-4 times with it... at least it kills the birds in one hit.
I would say that if all the enemies had half the health they did now, it'd be a lot more fun.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I agree, The health on all of the monsters reaaaaaaaaaaaally needs to be scaled down
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Heh, i never tought the zombies health could have been such a problem, so you may want to download this ,i have lowered the zombie health and powered up some weapons, also i fixed a stupid mistake i made in the mall map
Attachments
DOTDfix.pk3
(197.15 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

So, it appears that I will from here on out be taking on the project. As others have stated, it seems to carry a lot of potential... which is something I intend to take advantage of.

I would really like to turn this into a standalone project with a cooperative online component. What the ZDOOM community needs is a survival-horror zombie game, and I think this would be a great starting point for just that.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Sounds good, Some advice though, Either tune up all of the weapon damage on the guns,or tune down the health of some of the zombies, It takes me about 20 rounds to kill a citizen zombie!
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Trooper 077 wrote:Sounds good, Some advice though, Either tune up all of the weapon damage on the guns,or tune down the health of some of the zombies, It takes me about 20 rounds to kill a citizen zombie!
Yes, I've encountered this same issue myself. Did you perhaps download the patch that DMPhobos posted? This certainly rectifies the issues to some extent, but I intend to tweak the various damages and hit points... maybe even scale the enemy difficulty relative to how many players there are, as to not make it impossible for one player to get through a mission.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TheDoomGuy wrote:So, it appears that I will from here on out be taking on the project. As others have stated, it seems to carry a lot of potential... which is something I intend to take advantage of.

I would really like to turn this into a standalone project with a cooperative online component. What the ZDOOM community needs is a survival-horror zombie game, and I think this would be a great starting point for just that.
While this sounds great, there will still be single-player compatibility, right? I'm glad to see this project isn't going to be left sitting around, by the way. Good luck!
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I did and I still encountered this problem, The patch really doesn't touch the assault rifle
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

My bad, :( really i got to used to kill zombies in a slow way that i never realized this was such an issue, hopefully this new patch will help, i edited the first post with this patch
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

JimmyJ wrote:While this sounds great, there will still be single-player compatibility, right? I'm glad to see this project isn't going to be left sitting around, by the way. Good luck!
Of course. There will probably be a Story mode, Arcade mode and Survival mode. Hopefully all single player/multi-player compatible.

Thanks. :D
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TheDoomGuy wrote:Of course. There will probably be a Story mode, Arcade mode and Survival mode. Hopefully all single player/multi-player compatible.

Thanks. :D
Good to hear.
---
When you start a map, your order is set to something called Camtex, and if you buy it, you don't seem to actually get anything. And once you change your order choice, you can never find Camtex again. This seems like a bug, like Camtex isn't supposed to be there at all. Additionally, it seems to me like you should be able to buy armor, unless I've somehow missed the ability to. Maybe you could also be able to buy friendly soldiers?
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

JimmyJ wrote:Good to hear.
---
When you start a map, your order is set to something called Camtex, and if you buy it, you don't seem to actually get anything. And once you change your order choice, you can never find Camtex again. This seems like a bug, like Camtex isn't supposed to be there at all. Additionally, it seems to me like you should be able to buy armor, unless I've somehow missed the ability to. Maybe you could also be able to buy friendly soldiers?
Honestly, I had the same thought. Hopefully DMPhobos can interject. Armour and reinforcement requests are planned.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”