Crosshairs thread

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
phi108

Crosshairs thread

Post by phi108 »

I'm guessing this can go in resources, but it's also a discussion or something.

I personally like Doom or any FPS with or without a crosshair (I like the option to turn them off), and for ZDoom, I try to find crosshairs that are appealing and not obstructive. I have experimented with some crosshairs, and I'm guessing other people have their own preferences too. Below is a set of simple from scratch ones or Google image search conversions. I generally dislike the larger/more beefy crosshairs. Which crosshairs do other people like or use often?

I wanted to see how large screen-covering diagonal or horizontal crosshairs feel:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
exwizard

Re: Crosshairs thread

Post by exwizard »

I like a very minimalist '+' or 'x' style corsshairs. Just enough to show exactly where I am aiming without drawing attention away from the actual game scene. One thing I don't like about every crosshair I have seen so far is that they are static. Even just scaling the size of the crosshair based on how far the surface you are pointing at is goes a long way in making the game world seem less 'static'. Of course, that would require implementation beyond just the actual sprite images.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

I like the one in the top right corner alot =o, can you pujt a download link, or PM me one please?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

The crosshair I use shows hitboxes for the standard doom weapons so I know about what coverage I have when I start ripping loose. It's awesome.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I prefer circular ones with a dot in the middle. The circle lets you sight on an enemy rapidly, the dot lets you do precision aiming.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Pfft, you kiddies and your crosshairs! Back then in vanilla Doom, we had to play without crosshairs! :P

I like ZDoom's crosshair 1. Very simple, very tidy, doesn't take much screen space (especially in high resolutions) and does the job.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Nash wrote:Pfft, you kiddies and your crosshairs! Back then in vanilla Doom, we had to play without crosshairs! :P

I like ZDoom's crosshair 1. Very simple, very tidy, doesn't take much screen space (especially in high resolutions) and does the job.
I never played with crosshairs. NEVER.

still, I like these. well, some of them are too complex. it's best if they are simply made of thin lines or circles. :3:
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

I'm with Nash, I use ZDoom's crosshair 1 and have done for a couple of years now.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Crosshair 2 for me. :D

Might make a custom onew, except I'm lazy.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Crosshair 6, the one that looks like a little rear sight notch. Not a fan of having something get in the way of target acquisition but the dot just gets lost in the noise sometimes.

I like the vertically asymmetrical crosshairs that just cover the bottom half of my aimpoint so I can still see what I'm shooting at without leaning into the screen and squinting.

Relatedly, I just recently did a mockup of a ladder sight for a grenade launcher and that seems to be working out very nicely...
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Crosshair 4 from the Unreal Tournament 2004 pack that Enjay compiled. It looks cool and I like it.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

doomhunter_175 wrote:Crosshair 4 from the Unreal Tournament 2004 pack that Enjay compiled. It looks cool and I like it.
Where do i get it?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

The_Funktasm

Post by The_Funktasm »

At the risk of looking like a fool, I assume we can post custom jobs?

If so, how's this? Left to Right: Parabolic Cup, Parabolic Cup 2, Futuristic, H&K Ring, M16 Ring, Grenade Parabolics, Rocket Launcher.
crosshairs.png
Edit: They're a bit big.

Return to “Resources”