[WIP] Shooting Monsters With TEXTURES, N

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
phi108

[WIP] Shooting Monsters With TEXTURES, N

Post by phi108 »

(I guess I'll give it it's own thread.)

This is an in-progress weapon mod using Cutman's Doom Mutator Contest rules (Basically: no new graphics, sounds, or maps, just special lumps. So it's a few kilobytes instead of megabytes).

It changes the weapon balance somewhat (so the ammo counts are different), and it allows dual wielding with the pistol, shotguns, and chaingun. It also changes the monster behavior somewhat, and some monsters get angry or desperate when damaged or near death.

NEW DOWNLOAD: SMWIwadN.pk3: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... wiwadn.pk3

Weapons:
-Pistol: Fires in bursts. 2 accurate bullets or hold the trigger longer for 3 or 4 (I really need to organize/improve it).
:::::Alt-Fire: Shotgun ( I should make the SSG possible...)
-Shotgun: More accurate and powerful. In the shotguns, pellets take a fraction of a second to exit the barrel, so you can swing the muzzle across a couple zombies while firing. When using it one-handed, you can cancel the pump (to switch quickly) by pulling the trigger of the other-hand gun right after firing.
:::::Alt-fire: Pistol
-Two-trigger Super Shotgun: More powerful and accurate. Fire 1 shell and reload, or fire two shells in rapid succession. Or after firing 1 shell and it kicks back, center it and fire the second shell before opening it to reload (time your trigger-pulls).
:::::Alt-Fire: Pistol, or the Shotgun if you have one. The dual SSG-Shotgun combo has gotten a bit complex...
-Rapid chaingun
:::::Alt-Fire: Shotgun
-Rapid rocket launcher
:::::Alt-fire: Panic button, block your face with your hand and shoot a close-up rocket when you are cornered. It still hurts, so don't use it when at low health, and your body blocks some of the explosion radius, but the monster who the rocket hits gets more direct damage.
-Plasma Rifle: Less rapid. One shot fires one strong bolt or 2 bolts (watch the muzzle flash). Good for zombie one-shots.
-BFS: Barrel For Spamming, faster than a BFG, less power. New firing behavior and alt-firing planned.

Monsters:
-Imp: Gets angry at half-health, throws 2 small fast fireballs.
-Revenant: Might launch a barrage of missles below half health.
-Arachnotron: Below half health, fires plasma bursts in 3 directions. When death is one shell away, charges up to launch a bigger burst (Invulnerable during charge up).
-Zombies and Imp have enhanced knockback for hitscans.
-Chaingunner and Arachnotron don't fire forever.
-Caco and Pain Elemental can slow their knockback after pushed by a rocket or other attack.
-Lost Souls are weaker, can become Lost Shadows on death (I might ditch this change)

Randy and Graf and ZDoom contributors for all the special lumps.
ID software for the great sprites and sounds
Xaser, Doomrater, Wildweasel, and all those modders who wrote great example code for me to learn from
Ral22 for the smoother SSG animation offsets

Old screens. I guess a video would be better.
Last edited by phi108 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Shooting Monsters With Special Lumps/Iwads/Notepad

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, you should really just call it "Shooting Monsters with TEXTURES" for the extra nonsense vibe. Plus it's catchy, somehow. :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

Think maybe you could allow dual-wielding of the chainsaw + SSG, in the vein of a certain S-Mart clerk? :P
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

Hey, glad I could help out somewhat. Thought I was the only one who would use my ideas. Thank you.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Sprites are cutoff in gzdoom. Anyone know where the software mode for gzdoom went?

How can i turn on software? it used to be in set video mode or whatever but it's not there anymore.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

For it to work right, I had to use the latest SVN.
phi108

Re: [WIP] Shooting Monsters With SNDINFO

Post by phi108 »

Is the right-hand pistol cut off? I forgot to fix that. Put "vid_renderer 0" in the console for the software renderer.

Thanks Ral22 for the Bobtest, I'd be interested in adding advanced bobbing to this, but it's pretty complex already (and I'm a bit lazy). The hip-firing chaingun would be cool too, but I might want angled chaingun sprites for that.

And while the Chaingun+SSG sounds tempting, it would be a bit powerful, and both guns might be too heavy for the left hand.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Shooting Monsters With SNDINFO

Post by NeuralStunner »

phi108 wrote:And while the Chaingun+SSG sounds tempting, it would be a bit powerful, and both guns might be too heavy for the left hand.
Doomguy is supposed to be a descendant of B.J. Blazkowicz... What kind of badass would he be if he couldn't dual wield chainguns? :twisted:
Big C

Post by Big C »

@NeuralStunner: I think Keen's the descendant of Blazcowicz, for the record.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

So's Doomguy, in the DooM 2 RPG. And there's a resemblance in PC DooM as well.

Besides, DooM itself is a "spirtual successor" to Wolf 3D. :P
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

A family tree containing Doomguy, Commander Keen, and B.J. is a family tree to be reckoned with, at any rate. :P
(also Big C said chainsaw + ssg)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Xaser wrote:"Shooting Monsters with TEXTURES"
Yell hes. :twisted:
phi108

Re: [WIP] Shooting Monsters With TEXTURES

Post by phi108 »

OK, I changed the name again. It'll probably be SMWDECALDEF before it's over (despite the lack of DECALDEF).

And I'm pretty sure BJ only historically used 2 chainguns after victory, when he didn't need the ammo against enemies and he wanted to show off. Doomguy has to stay accurate and stuff. (I guess the berserk or invuln could allow CG+SSG or Plasma+RL... or I could stick with the boring "balance" excuse.)

Anyway, for what's coming up, I still want to try plasma shoulder cannons, and try a "half BFG", which you can add ammo types to with the alt-fire, so it just becomes a combination plasma/rocket/shell/clip spammer, for science. And maybe a 10 foot chainsaw...or not.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

The new name reminds me of a secret mock wad that MasterOFDeath, Xaser and I were working on...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Is it a bad sign that I'm sitting here, scratching my head, thinking "Which one? There's been so many..." ?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”