Unloved II [BETA1 released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: [WIP] Unloved II

Post by chronoteeth »

I hope the music is as good as the first one, it had fantastic dark ambience. :>
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

chronoteeth wrote:I hope the music is as good as the first one, it had fantastic dark ambience. :>
I've always thought that music has one of the most important impacts on the tone (and even enjoyability) of games/mods, and I loved the music for the first one, so I agree.

My only complaints that I'd like to see addressed are the difficulty of some parts on UV (seriously, I'm amazed that I beat some of these, and I consider myself a good player), which could be fixed by making fights somewhat more strategic and less cramped with monsters, and the ending, which really upset me, since there was so much tension built up right at the end. (A better final boss would be nice, too).

Good luck making a horrifying sequel!
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Yes I agree, I wasn't really bothered by the R667 enemies as most were used very effectively especially the Shadows in the Castle. But near the end it just threw whatever it could at you even though the Wicked were really cool.

But I too was a tad disappointed with Thamuz being the final boss considering it was something I've already "dealt with before" in terms of it's attack patterns and just being a Cyberdemon at that. Something organic or even freakier would of made more sense and that could be the case for Unloved 2.
Spoiler:
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Cyanosis: Actually, that idea is kickass. :twisted:
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Oh my god, not again x3

I played the first one to death as I pretty much found it the only level wad out for a while worth playing...

Keep up the good work, seriously!
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

As another thought, I would like to commend you for the most beautiful use of the color brown I've ever seen for both the original and the new screenshots. Keep up the good work!

Not sarcasm, for the record
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Will there be more Aphex Twin? ;D
If so, S.A.W II is great for music, specially the track "Tree"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3VBpYdjq4[/youtube]
Last edited by FuzzballFox on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MytiS

Post by MytiS »

I must say this looks very cool. I will defiantly keep an eye out for this when it comes out!
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Thanks for the great response guys :)
I'm trying my best to make the sequel even more frightening by adding more ambient sounds and adding more effects. And because I'm not a fan of cheap "boo" scares, expect the unexpected ;)
chronoteeth wrote:I hope the music is as good as the first one, it had fantastic dark ambience. :>
Definitely :D
I've started listening to A LOT of dark ambience music since the first Unloved and my dark ambience music folder is about 3 gig thick now. I have one new song from Silent Hill (not telling which game^^), other songs are from Nine Inch Nails, Atrium Carceri, Lustmord and all the good ones that make you feel lonely and unloved ;)

The house will be the hub level for this mapset again. There will be passage ways in the rooms like in the first game that lead to the different levels. As soon as you complete the main task of a level, the main hub gets altered in some way, opening new passages or changing existing rooms. Some levels have to be visited twice, but no more. I want to reduce backtracking a bit, but instead I will probably make more levels than in the first version.

The battles will not become as slaughter heavy this time. But the difficulty will still be very high with barely any chances of survival. "No Prayers For The Dying"
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

i havnt played the first one of this, but this looks cool. i love dark and evil looking wads. The detail looks good too and i love those new candle sprites =D.
Are there alot of ghost type enemies in this? cuz i havnt seen too many wads that specialize in ghostly enemies.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

He's actually using the FX mod Beautiful Doom by Jekyll Grim Payne AKA zer0.

Ghostly or unkillable enemies would be interesting, if that is technically possible (or just have over 99999999999 health).

I also thought if your home could no longer be a safe haven near the end of the game ala SH4 and random monsters would spawn in occasionally like the Ettins in Hexen, to keep you on your toes and paranoid.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Cyanosis wrote:Ghostly or unkillable enemies would be interesting, if that is technically possible
+[wiki=Actor_flags#NODAMAGE]NODAMAGE[/wiki]. :ninja:
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

FuzzballFox wrote:Will there be more Aphex Twin? ;D
If so, S.A.W II is great for music, specially the track "Tree"

Just to be a smart ass I fixed your post. :P The youtube link was set up incorrectly. Only use the code at the end of the url, and no extra stuff after the "watch?v=[video code]", like related, or subscribed or anything like that.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Nothin' like the big times to get the mood rollin, but dont just limit yourself to the common stuff! Even the less common things would be awesome to hear from. Like lustmord's dark corners of the earth. Even some subgenres for ambience could work out to your liking.
Spoiler: Like Ambient Metal!
Spoiler: Or Industrial noise!
Spoiler: Or even martial industrial!
I know the mod isn't even out yet, but i've always considered unloved to have great atmosphere. I just think since they had a taste in the first one, toss it around a bit and use the less common thangs, it'd be nice to hear <:
Megamur

Post by Megamur »

BlueEagle wrote:I'm trying my best to make the sequel even more frightening by adding more ambient sounds and adding more effects. And because I'm not a fan of cheap "boo" scares, expect the unexpected ;)
"Boo" scares are lame, I agree. While I was technically more frightened by Ghoul's Forest than Unloved, it's only because Ghoul's Forest likes employing REALLY LOUD SOUND EFFECTS, which is a cheap, easy way to scare the player. The oppressive, suffocating, prolonged tension of Unloved was much more enjoyable, and I'm glad you're going to stick with that style.

And it's good to hear about the ambient sounds. I felt that's the only thing the original mapset was really missing. Ambient sound effects in the environment go a LONG way to creating an immersive atmosphere. Mmm, just thinking about being in some dark hallway, hearing nothing but those subtle "click-click" sounds of fluorescent lights as they flicker wildly on and off overhead gives me chills.

Did I mention that I legitimately hate going into The Halls Below? I grumble and feel my stomach churn every time I have to go back down there. It freaks me out! :)

Return to “Levels”