[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Reinchard2

Re: [WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

Post by Reinchard2 »

Guy whos made this model must put much of work in this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

What is this? E.T. Is evolving!

This model is so ugly i'm sorry but...It just doesn't match doom :/..
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Can you guys please stop posting that Imp? Thank You :)

-Also, I don't need that at all for a guide, I know EXACTLY how Id Software views the Imp, I already showed their art for Doom2RPG, which shows the Imp in the center, and he looks really kickass, so I don't need any models, not those that aren't made be IdSoftware, which are the only 'correct' ones :)

EDIT: WOw talk about a whole page almost on that model :lol: Hey, I like it, but it's just not what I'm gonna use. Because it looks too much like an alien... ?? The Doom monsters are supposed to look like aliens... but that model really does look like it's from the sixties,lol, it's better to make the model short and chubby, like the sprite, and it's best to not cover him up in wrinkles... not giant ones.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT2: It'd be nice if you guys placed the images as spoilers, they're just taking up space. :|

EDIT3: ANYWAYS... Here's a little something I thought was nice:
The hi-res sprites I'm making seem to go nice with hi-res texture styled graphics, so I probably won't have to shrink the hi-res texture pack textures. The sprites may not be perfect with the textures, but they look nice, and match at least decently. :)
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Nice effect. One thing that I don't like is the eyebrows. Maybe you can do something with this to make it look more "predatory", less like monkey. Do not get me wrong, I think you do good job with caco and imp.
Blox

Post by Blox »

A slight hint cartoonish-ness looks alright on those sprites, but an intense cartoonish touch to them just makes things look a bit strange.

Oh, by the way. I've got another demon sprite 'ready';
Spoiler:
About 9 sprites left before a full walking animation is there. That's without counting the older sprites.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Sorry I can't cite my source, but I remember reading somewhere official (could have been Romero's site I can't remember) that the imp was envisioned to be a yeti-like creature, covered in brown fur with metal spikes. Personally I would ditch the 'hairy aspect' but it is interesting.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Making something hairy seems a bit hardcore without some way of fading stuff, which may be possible with a tablet. (Mousing your way through would take ages)
Not to mention that it would take a lot of time to make it look good, which again makes it kinda tedious.

So yeah, I think it's a good idea to ditch the whole hairy stuff. As it would take a lot of time to do, and it would probably look a bit silly too. (It's hairy.. AND IT THROWS BALLS OF FIRE!)
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Wow, looking good, Mtzfire. Please promise me you won't abandon this. Haha.

Also, I have a suggestion that I feel might work for this project... use the hi-res Wolfenstein 3-D sprites from the Mac version as a replacement for the SS Nazi.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

TheDoomGuy wrote:use the hi-res Wolfenstein 3-D sprites from the Mac version as a replacement for the SS Nazi.
Considering the Mac sprites have no walking rotations, that wouldn't work too well.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

TheDoomGuy wrote:Wow, looking good, Mtzfire. Please promise me you won't abandon this. Haha.

Also, I have a suggestion that I feel might work for this project... use the hi-res Wolfenstein 3-D sprites from the Mac version as a replacement for the SS Nazi.
Thanks there! Oh and: I wont abandon this project! :D Never, as far as I'm concerned, DOOM deserves some nice graphics, I love the game and love the monsters so... yeah, there's also the fact that it would be horrible to let such a great project die.
-ALSO: I'm using the sprites I make to make a rail-shooter, similar to Doom2RPG and Doom Resurrection combined! SO: No leaving theses sprites!

@Reinchard: The Imp doesn't look anything like a monkey, lol, I think he looks like an alien, and that's good... I can't change him because he HAS big eyebrows... thanks for your concern, though :)
NeuralStunner wrote:
TheDoomGuy wrote:use the hi-res Wolfenstein 3-D sprites from the Mac version as a replacement for the SS Nazi.
Considering the Mac sprites have no walking rotations, that wouldn't work too well.
I can, however, use them as a reference, to know what they look like :)
---------------------------
EDIT: Updated the 1st post, got rid of the old stuff. Also I've stated we are 2 back-to-back projects, and I'm glad to see Blox's new Demon sprite :)
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

About the ss monsters, you could look at it this way, there's basically the front angle already done for you! (well, perhaps it would need modification, since this is 32 bit 4x, not 8 bit 2x, but it would work nicely as a base)
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

How does he look like he is from the 60's?
and
"...DOOM deserves some nice graphics..." it does have nice graphics.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

I meant that the model looks like a costume, and someone already stated that, I'm just agreeing, because I see it the same way :wink: I did, however, state that I like that model myself, it's just it needs a few fixes, and luckily a model is fixed easier than an image.
JustinC wrote: it does have nice graphics.
Only in look, that is, 'style.' When I say graphics, I mean clarity, detail, and resolution. EVERY time I use the word graphics, I am talking about these 3 things, which are in every modern game (to a great extent, at least).
Blox

Post by Blox »

Oh hey, just coming here to say that the 'new' front angle is shaping up rather nicely.
Spoiler:
Can't say how long it took to make that.. I guess it's somewhere around 80 minutes in total.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Is the imp's mouth really going to be open that much? Whenever I look at that sprite, it's the only thing I can see...

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”