[Resource] Angled AK47 & some Unreal2k4 Screen Rips

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
CaptainToenail

[Resource] Angled AK47 & some Unreal2k4 Screen Rips

Post by CaptainToenail »

It's an angled AK47, I screen-ripped it from the CoD4 demo, and edited it in GIMP. Not much more to say really.

Also you can grab the G3 here: http://www.realm667.com/board/download/file.php?

Edit: and here's some sci-fi guns screen-ripped from Unreal2004. Plasmagun, ShockRifle and ThermoBlaster (got it from some old mod ages ago)
Attachments
unreal2k4rips.PNG
unreal2k4rips.PNG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
COD4AK.PNG
COD4AK.PNG (6.31 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Resource] Angled AK47 & some Unreal2k4 Screen Rips

Post by wildweasel »

While these are good rips, the one pitfall that makes them still look like model rips is that there are aliasing artifacts inside of the graphic. This is why I tend to rip at higher resolutions, resize with filtering and then manually brush away the outsides - the end result looks loads better and a bit more sprite-like. It takes much more effort, yes, but it's much more worth it in the end.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Ok, what do you mean by 'resize with filtering'? I'm experimenting with GIMP and all the scale options give the same result. Do you want me to blur the images or something? :?:

Edit: Ok, this time I took the screenshot at X4 the resolution, applied a blur filter then resized it. The result is better, is this what you meant?

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Here's a quick-and-dirty comparison example. I used Photoshop; GIMP should offer similar options.

Here's our model, a P90 I randomly snagged from FPS Banana. Oh, but it's too large for Doom, in fact it'd take up almost the entire screen, so let's size it down...

The easiest resize would be using a Nearest Neighbor filter, which makes it so you don't have to trim down the edges to avoid having weird blue glowy stuff around the gun in-game. But...

...if we zoom in on it, to about what size it'd appear in-game, you'll notice some areas (I've circled them in red pencil) that end up jagged and ugly-looking. This is the telltale sign of a model rip.

In this picture I've opted to size it down using the Bicubic filter. GIMP should have this in the image resize options; you might also see a "Lanczos" option which produces nicer results as well. I've colored the background differently, and I'll explain why in a second. Look at the three areas indicated by the last picture - the etched lines on the magazine now appear smoother and more natural, the sights are better defined and look less like a blotchy blue shape, and the glove looks less like it could amputate the hand. But the main pitfall (and reason why I colored the background another color) is that you'll have to trim the edges a bit by hand to make sure the weapon doesn't appear to have a blue glow in-game.

Hope that illustrated it well enough.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Ok, thank you. I'll be careful to avoid these jagged lines in the future, and hopefully re-rip these weapons soon if anyone was actually interested in them. :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

CaptainToenail wrote:ThermoBlaster (got it from some old mod ages ago)
Arkon, sounds like. I love that mod. :)
phi108

Post by phi108 »

For processing hundreds of PNGs at once, I used Imagemagick and this batch command to resize from 1122x606 to 374x202 using a box filter (or for rips that covered the top or left edges of a widescreen 16x9 display, 1281x720 to 427x240), I couldnt rip any higher than 3x because my monitor isn't that big.

Code: Select all

@echo off
for %%i in (*.png) do "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.2-Q16\convert.exe" "%%i" -filter box -resize 374x202! -channel A -threshold 32768 "%%i"
goto :eof
Then I needed another command to remove the invisible tranparent pixels (wasting space) from the edges of the gun image (This one for GraphicsMagick, because that was the program known by whoever told me how to do it):

Code: Select all

@echo off
for %%i in (*.png) do "C:\Program Files\GraphicsMagick-1.3.6-Q8\gm.exe" composite -background black "%%i" "%%i" "%%i"
goto :eof
The switches from the first command automate the edge-sharpening:
-channel A -threshold 32768

This may save you time even if you use less than hundreds of sprites.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I like them. They all look pretty good, I just might use them. Perhaps even make some slight edits too.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

IMO you should do the Bicubic filtering with a transparent background (Layers->Transparency-> Add Alpha Channel, then select-delete the background color), then make the image Indexed (Image->Mode) to get rid of the in-between alpha levels. Then convert back to RGB and edit away!

Return to “Resources”