Hacx 2.0 -- Hacxmas Alpha!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should Hacx 2.0 enable jumping?

Yes
70%
No
15%
Don't Care
15%

Total votes: 159

Xaser

Re: Hacx 2.0 -- Now in Development!

Post by Xaser »

Been working on improving the facade of a certain building.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Just passed the map off to Damage to do some work on the upper floors. Think I might finally get to cracking on the Anarchist Dream remake next, considering how badly we need a good cyberspace map to refer to. ;)

In other news, all textures+flats in the wad actually have proper names now, instead of reusing the Doom2 ones. The same will be done for sprites as time goes on, but at least the big change is out of the way before too many in-progress maps are forced to be run through the converter... :P
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Positively awesome.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

I just played MAP05 of HacX. I don't want to see any part of that level in 2.0.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Salad Viking wrote:I just played MAP05 of HacX. I don't want to see any part of that level in 2.0.
second. In fact, it would be nice to see ALL of the cyberspace levels remade. They always looked like a random jumble of mess to me. It was cool in an abstract way, but has no place in gaming, IMO.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Yeah I would just bin them and replace them with a more 'mainstream' vision of cyberspace - square blocks of colour, scrolling numbers etc.
Like that zdaemon deathmatch map set, cyber-something or other.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

CaptainToenail wrote:Yeah I would just bin them and replace them with a more 'mainstream' vision of cyberspace - square blocks of colour, scrolling numbers etc.
Like that zdaemon deathmatch map set, cyber-something or other.
Cybercrime :P

Yeah I second that too. The cyberspace levels were pretty much terrible. They just didn't play well.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

MAP05 will be remade, no worries about it. Of all the "Cyberspace" maps, only MAP15 is actually going to make the cut, and even then, it'll probably get a face lift or two in the visuals department. At least it was relatively sane. :P

Cybercrime was neat, though I do have an idea of how I want cyberspace to look and it's a tad bit different (a bit more "floay things in darkness" so to speak). I'll likely tackle MAP10 (Anarchist Dream) first, since I actually have an idea for a sane layout using some of the aspects of the original map. It'll have Better texturing throughout, though. :P

Heh, it's kind of funny how one of Hacx's biggest trademarks was cyberspace, yet here we are without a good map to stylistically reference. Going to need to fix that...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

The problem is just that the textures used in cyberspace doens't look like they have anything to do with it at all. Looks like blotches of color that make the map look like a 3D representation of one of Van Gogh's paintings.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I tried playing Hacx 1.2 on ZDoom 2.5.0.2957 and for some reason when I try to fire the pistol upon starting a level it switches to the melee-foot, as if I were out of bullet ammo.

It did NOT do this on earlier SVNs of ZDooM. I wonder what's wrong.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Eriance wrote:The problem is just that the textures used in cyberspace doens't look like they have anything to do with it at all. Looks like blotches of color that make the map look like a 3D representation of one of Van Gogh's paintings.
Personally, I would compare it more to Salvador Dali, but that might just be due to spending far too much time in MoOnsIdE
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

It would be AWESOME if in Hacx 2.0, the cyberspace levels changed everything, from the gameplay to the weapons and enemies to even the sounds.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SamVision wrote:the gameplay
Yes
SamVision wrote:the weapons
Yes. But then they would need a spriter.
SamVision wrote:enemies
Second. But again, spriter needed. Maybe some virus enemies.
SamVision wrote: sounds.
Some ambient sound effects would be nice.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I played a multiplayer Source mod called Dystopia, that might provide some inspirations for the cyberspace levels. Its all digitally and stuff when you enter the cyberspace areas (kind of like Tron) with three cyberspace attacks that just fly out of you digitally hands (so no specially designed weapons). Also having no gravity would be an interesting addition, with the levels designed around that idea.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

SamVision wrote:I played a multiplayer Source mod called Dystopia, that might provide some inspirations for the cyberspace levels.
I *love* Dystopia... Not very good at it though. :P
Its all digitally and stuff when you enter the cyberspace areas (kind of like Tron) with three cyberspace attacks that just fly out of you digitally hands (so no specially designed weapons).
To be more specific, there's a hitscan attack, a projectile attack with radius damage (a weak rocket, basically... you can even use it to propel yourself), and a laser-like constant "stream" attack.
Also having no gravity would be an interesting addition, with the levels designed around that idea.
You wouldn't be able to do the whole "turning upside down and running on ceilings" bit, though.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I swore I heard ZDoom supports voxels now. If so, something like that would be awesome for cyberspace enemies.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”