Chex Pack (WIP)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Chex Pack (WIP)

Post by cq75 »

Latest version of this mod: P16-3.2:
http://www.ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/ChexPackP16-3.2.pk3

NOTE: As of ChexSTPackP15-7 (7/29/2011) this mod sets its own DMFLAGS as needed.

IRC Channel

irc://irc.zandronum.com/IFOC

Come here if you want to request a server, or if you want to play and there isn't anyone in the server.

Servers:

You can currently find this mod on the following Zandronum servers:

<[IFOC] Server>: Chex Pack Duel
<[IFOC] Server>: Chex Pack Zorchmatch
<[IFOC] Server>: Chex Pack CTF

Brand new weapons: Zorch Gloves (slot 1, melee), CL Zorcher (slot 2), Freezing Zorcher (slot 5), Frozen orb zorcher (slot 7), and a secret joke weapon

Weapons ported from Chex Quest Arena: Ultra rapid zorcher (minigun replacement), Zorch launcher (grenade launcher replacement), and Liquid Zorcher (BFG 10k replacement)

The minizorchers, propulsors, freezing propulsors, and bootsporks can all be dual wielded, just pick up two of them.

IWAD - Chex Quest 3 V1.4: http://www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/ChexQuest3.zip

It must be this exact IWAD, or the game will not work. If in doubt, update. There are subtle changes from the earlier versions of the IWAD. Zandronum doesn't warn you about the wrong IWAD, so if you get an error running my mod, try re-downloading chex3.wad.

There's also another wad named chex3.wad that's from 1998 that will not work at all.

It only runs on zandronum, since the wad replaces zandronum actors. I have a zDoom compatible version as well, but I rarely release it. I will release it more often when I have single player missions.

Map list:

Maps made by me unless otherwise specified

If you just want to try out the maps, go into the console using the '~' key, then type "MAP <LUMP NAME>", e.g., to get to ZM01, you would type MAP ZM01

Zorchmatch (deathmatch):

ZM01-ZM07

Duel:

DUELHUB, through which you can access...

DUEL01-DUEL16 + DUEL33

DUEL03 and DUEL12 by Quadrumpusguy

Invasion:

INV01 (demo)

CTF:

CTF01-CTF06

Co-op:

E1M8 (demo)

Videos (note: these videos are 200x the size of my mod, why not join the server and try it in person?)
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Would you like to help map for this mod? See this topic:

http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=3325.0

Make sure you include both chex3.wad and this pk3 as additional resources when making your map

EDIT - Weapons list:

The mini zorcher, propulsors, freezing zorchers, and bootsporks can be dual wielded, pick up two of them and you can hold them both at the same time.

Slot 1: Bootspoon, Bootspork(s), zorch gloves, Ghettoblaster
Slot 2: Minizorcher(s), CL Zorcher
Slot 3: Large zorcher, Super Large Zorcher
Slot 4: Rapid Zorcher, Ultra Rapid Zorcher
Slot 5: Propulsor(s), Freezing Zorcher(s), Zorchlauncher
Slot 6: Phasing Zorcher, Rail Zorcher
Slot 7: LAZ Device, Liquid Zorcher

Note: Here are the doom equivalents of these weapons:

Bootspoon = Fist
Bootspork = Chainsaw (you can dual wield this weapon)
Minizorcher = Pistol (you can dual wield this weapon)
Large Zorcher = Shotgun
Super Large Zorcher = Super Shotgun
Rapid Zorcher = chaingun
Ultra Rapid Zorcher = Minigun
Zorch Propulsor = Rocket Launcher (you can dual wield this weapon)
Zorch Launcher = Grenade Launcher
Phasing Zorcher = Plasma Rifle
Rail Zorcher = Railgun
LAZ Device = BFG9000
Liquid Zorcher = BFG10k
Last edited by cq75 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 114 times in total.
Captain Ventris

Re: Chex Skulltag Pack (WIP)

Post by Captain Ventris »

I've played this, and it's pretty neat. Definitely good to see CQ stuff. Eriance and/or Vader should sprite a Flemoid some time, I'M JUST PUTTING THAT OUT THERE
cq75

Post by cq75 »

I'm going to try to do a few flemoids myself, but sure, I'd like some help with sprites, if there's anyone who has something they'd like to add.
cq75

Post by cq75 »

I converted the wad to .pk3, and I'm working on converting the maps to UDMF format (and also making a config for said UDMF format)

I'm also working on improving INV04

EDIT - I managed to slim down the wad from 50 MB to 17 MB. A lot of those music tracks I didn't really need anyway.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh man this looks fantastic. I'll have to give this a spin sometime!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

What do you call Chex Quest "DeathMatch"? ZorchMatch? SnotMatch? :P
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Oh yeah I remember playing this on Skulltag, good fun :)

Just want to say I'm not too keen on the new weapons, they seem a tad unnecesary. Also, it needs some more open standard arena maps, rather than just themed and/or cramped maps.

Keep it up, this is nice :wink:
cq75

Post by cq75 »

NeuralStunner wrote:What do you call Chex Quest "DeathMatch"? ZorchMatch? SnotMatch? :P
Zorchmatch
CaptainToenail wrote:Oh yeah I remember playing this on Skulltag, good fun :)

Just want to say I'm not too keen on the new weapons, they seem a tad unnecesary. Also, it needs some more open standard arena maps, rather than just themed and/or cramped maps.

Keep it up, this is nice :wink:
the new weapons... hmm... I try to make sure there aren't too many of one kind of slot on one map, so that you don't end up cycling through 15 weapons to find the one you want. What in particular about the weapons was the problem? I've found uses for all of them, and I can't think of any one I'd like to take out.

More big maps... hmm... almost every one of my maps have large open areas somewhere, they're not empty football stadiums, but there's places in every map with a lot of space as well as places that are cramped. I guess you'd like DUEL02 and DM02, lots of space, and not very complicated.

If you're talking about the CTF maps, you are absolutely right. They are definitely too small and cramped. I've been wanting to work on those for a while.
cq75

Post by cq75 »

This mod lives again! I pretty much redid the code from scratch, since it was kind of messy. This version doesn't try to replace doom guns at all, instead, I set it so that the invasion spawners only spawn doom weapons.

I'm releasing this version mostly to test out the new weapon code, and my new map. I'll host it when I have time, I'll definitely have time next week.

CSP14.1.pk3

File size - about 3 MB - MUCH better than that gigantic version before it. No MP3 tracks from now on, unless I make them.

Maps :

One map included, DM04. It's not the typical skulltag fare, I'd like to see how it plays online, so I can change things if necessary.

I was actually thinking of goldeneye's multiplayer style when I made it.

Notes :

The weapons aren't supposed to stay after pickup.
If stuff doesn't respawn, check your DMFLAGS. You need to have it set to have items respawn if it's not already.
Don't set the "players drop weapons when they die" DMFLAG. It will screw things up.
Setting the "Weapon remains after pickup" flag will only change non-dual wielded weapons.

Weapons: minizorchers/dual minizorchers, large and super large zorchers, the bootspork/dual bootspork, and the propulsor/dual propulsors

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Features: Dual wield weapon code, and all of the old skullpack features and weapons except the frozen orb zorcher (that one will be redesigned)

(the equivalent of dual wielded rocket launchers. Deadly for both the target and the guy holding them.)

the equivalent of double chainsaws
(he must be really hungry to have a spork in each hand)

Also, the flemoids have dynamic lights for their pain and death states (not that you'll know from this deathmatch map, but if you play singleplayer, you'll see it) and their sizes are redefined to be more accurate. I also made their "being zorched" states BRIGHT, which looks a lot better :)

Contains invasion spawners as well. I have a doombuilder config for this mod, if you need it now, let me know, otherwise I'm going to keep testing it for a bit. I haven't made an invasion map yet, and I want to make sure everything works before I release it.

known bugs: The propulsor shots have no dynamic lights.

Try it out, let me know what you think.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I'm pretty sure the rocket launcher replacement isn't supposed to damage the user, so just using the doom weapons wouldn't really, y'know, work.
cq75

Post by cq75 »

actually, my version of the chex rocket launcher does hurt the player.

Having the propulsor NOT hurt the player makes it way overpowered. It makes some sense in this mod because the chex player can get slimed or zorched in his pain state. Older chex mods just had the player get inexplicably slimed when blasted with zorch.

However... that doesn't explain why the LAZ doesn't hurt the player, and the 10k replacement does...
cq75

Post by cq75 »

The new INV02 so far:

skib

Post by skib »

cool!
It's huge!!
Did you mod a CHEX IWAD?
I'll chex later after the download and "edit" it :shock: