[Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sodaholic

Re: [Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Post by Sodaholic »

Maybe an updated marathon 1 to have 2's stuff instead? (well still, that could definately be done in aleph one, but I dunno, I think it would be cool to see marathon running in zdoom) Plus, I suppose it could be all 3 games combined, and have exclusive extras, and be put on zdoom to expose the doom community to marathon to show that it's really not bad. (although strangely I've seen a lot of doom hate in the marathon community :| talking about how it's all shallow and go get a key, press a switch, kill a demon, repeat. To be fair, that's all marathon is, just with a better story, that's actually integrated into the game. (and quite well I might add) still, without doom, marathon probably wouldn't exist)

Also, what do you mean the terminals are done? Is it a new feature I've missed?
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Whew. Okay, I've added the ability to fire the MA-75B's triggers simultaneously and the Alien Shotgun's triple fire ability. Hopefully they work alright since I threw them together fairly quickly.
Xaser wrote:Oh, dear. From 8 megs to 92 megs? I think the general public would appreciate it if you'd make the new music optional >_<
When I uploaded the file I didn't realize how huge the file had gotten. I am a bit surprised that adding music files inflated the file size so much. Music is now optional for those without high speed connections. Although I would recommend downloading it with music.
Xaser wrote:Well, we've got two pieces now, seeing how the terminals have been done.
Are you referring to the help screen? It is more of a joke than anything else really. It was my favorite terminal from Marathon: Durandal. I only included it to "set the mood", so to speak.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I think he means the mod that adds them to ZDoom (dead download): http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13308
And here is a thread where he postede an updated version (dead download): http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18954

Anyway, even more features! Great work, this is pretty fun. Gotta love dual double-barreled sawed-off governators. (I still haven't found the shotgun in the original games, or finished them...)
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

Sodahollic wrote:I've always wondered about a marathon tc. Wouldn't that be kinda cool? Really sweet mod though. :)
Being able to play Marathon with decent controls? That would be kinda cool. 8-)

EDIT: The irony is that after dl'ing the much larger file last night I tried playing through ultimate Doom this morning and the music isn't even replaced! So, the music seems only compatible with Doom 2 WADs... :)
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Oops, I forgot to add A_NoGravity to some of the explosions. Fixed and updated.
Per-Scan wrote:The irony is that after dl'ing the much larger file last night I tried playing through ultimate Doom this morning and the music isn't even replaced! So, the music seems only compatible with Doom 2 WADs...
I didn't mess with the original Doom music as it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me.
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

TwelveEyes wrote:Oops, I forgot to add A_NoGravity to some of the explosions. Fixed and updated.
Per-Scan wrote:The irony is that after dl'ing the much larger file last night I tried playing through ultimate Doom this morning and the music isn't even replaced! So, the music seems only compatible with Doom 2 WADs...
I didn't mess with the original Doom music as it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me.
That's cool. I get that. :)
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

The new version with music is kinda big (90mb), but it's cool, i really like this music :D
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Per-Scan wrote:
Sodahollic wrote:I've always wondered about a marathon tc. Wouldn't that be kinda cool? Really sweet mod though. :)
Being able to play Marathon with decent controls? That would be kinda cool. 8-)

EDIT: The irony is that after dl'ing the much larger file last night I tried playing through ultimate Doom this morning and the music isn't even replaced! So, the music seems only compatible with Doom 2 WADs... :)
Well, if you want Marathon with good controls right away, there's always the excellent port to Unreal Tournament.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

JimmyJ wrote:Well, if you want Marathon with good controls right away, there's always the excellent port to Unreal Tournament.
Wow, the Unreal Tournament port is pretty amazing. I can't believe I missed something like that. Thanks for bringing it up. :)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TwelveEyes wrote:
JimmyJ wrote:Well, if you want Marathon with good controls right away, there's always the excellent port to Unreal Tournament.
Wow, the Unreal Tournament port is pretty amazing. I can't believe I missed something like that. Thanks for bringing it up. :)
I was very impressed by it.
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

Great mod!, However it bugs me that when I pickup a shield battery x2 or x3, the amount of shield that they give me doesn't display on the shield bar, it only shows the bar for a shield battery x1 pickup, and thats pretty annoying because I don't know exactly how much shield I have left; Also all the powerups look the same, its confusing sometimes.

Other than that this a fun mod, I'm loving it :D
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

MagSigmaX wrote:Great mod!, However it bugs me that when I pickup a shield battery x2 or x3, the amount of shield that they give me doesn't display on the shield bar, it only shows the bar for a shield battery x1 pickup, and thats pretty annoying because I don't know exactly how much shield I have left; Also all the powerups look the same, its confusing sometimes.
That's one of the limitations of SBARINFO. I didn't want to use ACS to hack my way around the problem, so I just left it as is.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This is thoroughly impressive and polished! The only thing missing, really, is a zero-gravity aircraft carrier full of delimbed, screaming torsos.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I keep trying to download but the download just keeps freezing toward the end. Sendshare sucks anyway, could you possibly comsider using drdteam instead? :) It's much better because it doesn't have wait times, it's faster among other things. Still, I'm liking the mod so far. :)
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Sodahollic wrote:Sendshare sucks anyway, could you possibly comsider using drdteam instead?
Unfortunately, the file with the music is too big for drdteam to host. I'll upload it to another file sharing site though.

I've uploaded a new version that is a bit more organized with regards to the DECORATE code. Some monsters stats and behavior have been changed to more closely resemble Marathon. One thing I really want to add before I consider the mod finished is a motion tracker, but I do not know how I would go about assigning each monster a unique TID. Nor do I know how to translate the monsters location into coordinates on a XY plane and then how to display that on the player's HUD.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”