[Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TwelveEyes

Re: [Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Post by TwelveEyes »

Mod update. See first post.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TwelveEyes wrote:Mod update. See first post.
I'm really impressed, you released this out of nowhere, then, so soon after, you make an update that fixes almost all my gripes! Good work!

Edit:
Appearantly all is not well with the update, the pistol and single shotgun are not centered, and picking up a second shotgun does not allow me to dual-wield them (Unless it isn't supposed to work like that). Furthermore, I get a Very Fatal Error when I exit GZDooM, although it doesn't effect the game. There may be more problems, but I've only played the updated version for a couple of minutes so far.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

JimmyJ wrote:Appearantly all is not well with the update, the pistol and single shotgun are not centered, and picking up a second shotgun does not allow me to dual-wield them (Unless it isn't supposed to work like that). Furthermore, I get a Very Fatal Error when I exit GZDooM, although it doesn't effect the game. There may be more problems, but I've only played the updated version for a couple of minutes so far.
Because of the way the akimbo shotguns and pistols were made in DECORATE, centering the sprites for the single versions is out of the question. The other off-center weapons have been centered though. Though the Fatal Error on exit is very strange. What version of GZdoom are you using?
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TwelveEyes wrote: Because of the way the akimbo shotguns and pistols were made in DECORATE, centering the sprites for the single versions is out of the question. The other off-center weapons have been centered though. Though the Fatal Error on exit is very strange. What version of GZdoom are you using?
1.5.2 r936, maybe it's time to update. Although I'm still curious, what about picking up a second shotgun and still only having a single one in my inventory?
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

JimmyJ wrote:Although I'm still curious, what about picking up a second shotgun and still only having a single one in my inventory?
Ah, I thought this might be confusing. The single shotgun and the akimbo shotgun are actually two separate weapons, but both have the same pickup sprite. Picking up the single shotgun weapon will not give you a second shotgun, you have to pick up the actual dual shotgun weapon for that.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TwelveEyes wrote:
JimmyJ wrote:Although I'm still curious, what about picking up a second shotgun and still only having a single one in my inventory?
Ah, I thought this might be confusing. The single shotgun and the akimbo shotgun are actually two separate weapons, but both have the same pickup sprite. Picking up the single shotgun weapon will not give you a second shotgun, you have to pick up the actual dual shotgun weapon for that.
I had an idea for how that could be remedied...
  1. Replace the shotgun pickup with a custom inventory item.
  2. In said custom inventory item, upon pickup, give not only the shotgun as usual, but also a dummy inventory item (or uservar? I can't remember if those exist yet) that indicates that the player already owns a single shotgun.
  3. In the pickup states, check for the existence of your dummy inventory item and jump to an alternate state which gives the player the double shotgun weapon instead and then increments the dummy inventory item by one more (i.e. your dummy item should have an Inventory.MaxAmount of 2).
  4. If the player has 2 of the dummy item, just give the ammo instead of either weapon.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rollingcrow »

The Marathon handgun sounds strangely like the pk_doom_sfx pistol / chaingun sound.
Last edited by rollingcrow on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Se7eNytes wrote:The Marathon handgun sounds strangely like the pk_sounds pistol / chaingun sound.
I don't know the pk_sounds you are referring to, but the pistol sounds were ripped straight from Marathon. Perhaps the pistol and chaingun sounds you are talking about also came from Marathon.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I believe he means the hi-res doom sound effects wad. They can be found here:
http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Se7eNytes wrote:The Marathon handgun sounds strangely like the pk_sounds pistol / chaingun sound.
The wad is definitely using the original Marathon pistol sound, as TwelveEyes said.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rollingcrow »

Yeah I didn't mean it was exactly the sound it just sounded much like that sound.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Just a small update before Minecraft steals the rest of my free time. I took wildweasel's advice and made the shotgun pickup give you another shotgun when you already have one in your inventory. Download link in first post.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

The Flamethrower seems to be broken, I can't hurt any enemies with it.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

JimmyJ wrote:The Flamethrower seems to be broken, I can't hurt any enemies with it.
Compilers and Hunters are immune to the flamethrower in Marathon. Juggernauts are immune to bullets. They take extra damage from the fusion pistol though.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

TwelveEyes wrote:
JimmyJ wrote:The Flamethrower seems to be broken, I can't hurt any enemies with it.
Compilers and Hunters are immune to the flamethrower in Marathon. Juggernauts are immune to bullets. They take extra damage from the fusion pistol though.
Oh, ok. It's been so long since I've played that I didn't remember that. Are you going to be implementing the fusion pistol's alternate fire?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”