[Release] SD3TII (no updates 01/03/12)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

[Release] SD3TII (no updates 01/03/12)

Post by DBThanatos »

Who says the looks doesn't matter?

Video by DiegoMula

What is this?
SuperDoom3: Take II is a mod for the mod "Super Doom 3" by DOOMERO-21.
SuperDoom3: Take II (SD3TII for short) basically enhances the visual effects of the original mod. The original mod have some beautiful rips of the monsters and weapons graphics, unfortunately, the visual fx weren't (IMO) polished enough.

However, SD3TII not only focuses on visuals, but also addresses several issues I found inconvenient in the original mod, while trying to find a balance between Doom3 behavior and Classic Doom2 gameplay.
This being a "mod of the mod", is an small file; you still need to have DOOMERO-21's original mod in order to play this one.

What changed?
The list is actually quite long. However, this is a quick summary of the main changes:
-New explosion effects
-Visual effects of all monsters attacks and several weapons enhanced.
-New disintegration effects for monsters's deaths.
-New (doom3 esque) blood effects.
-Code of the monsters cleaned and optimized where possible.
-Player speed restored to Doom's regular, due to issues on maps where player speed is needed.
-Projectiles of the monsters can be now diverted or destroyed (depending the monster) by shooting at them with any weapon (following doom3's behavior).
-Improved holding sequence of the grenades and BFG to be more responsive when player releases it.
-BFG charges now at a very similar speed to Doom3's.
-Changed Flahslight and SoulCube function to pull out the last weapon used if the key is pressed again when the flashlight/cube is selected.
-Flashlight's light is cast now with hitscan rather than projectiles, to make it instantaneous.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Gameplay Demonstration:
Spoiler:
Comparing to original mod:
Spoiler:
Downloads

First, make sure you have the original Super Doom 3 mod. It was released some time ago and you can find it >>>HERE<<<

The mod "SuperDoom3: Take II" can be found >>>HERE<<<

Extra note

SD3TII, being a mod of the original mod, and requiring the original files in order to work, is still tied to all the memory allocation problems of the original, and as a matter of fact, this mod makes the game even more demanding. SD3TII was tested with a Pentium 4 (2.8Mhz), 3gb RAM (in a win7 OS) and a cheap Nvidia 8400gs (low profile) at 800x600 without performance problems. If you have better equipment, you should have no issues. If not, then you might want to tweak settings to get better performance.

Still, as in dec 24th 2010, an almost complete remake of the original files is being done, to help a bit on the allocation issues, as well as unifying TakeII with the main files. This is to clean the code and get rid of otherwise irremovable bugs. This means that it'll be a huge download, but at the end will be worth.

This overhaul and reorganization of the main files should be completed in the upcoming week, since by now is almost complete, and is just a matter of testing everything is still working as expected. So, you might be interested in coming back to get those files, and to not depend on mostly skulltag oriented files (the original mod was for ST) anymore.

Make sure to check the readme files for more information of the mod's mechanics and recommended settings.

Love, hate. Is all welcome.

Have fun and happy holidays!

-DBT
Last edited by DBThanatos on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:09 am, edited 10 times in total.
printz

Re: SuperDoom3: Take II

Post by printz »

Cool. Shouldn't the doors make Doom 3 sounds too?
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

EDIT: whoops I'm a retard
Last edited by CrystalWolf on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

CrystalWolf wrote:Yet another rip mod... We really need more of these. Really, we do.
You might want to talk to the original author about that, then, not the guy that's making a mod based on his mod.
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

Looking good. And if anyone can pull this off it's you . :) Can't wait. :)
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Okay, that just looks freakin' awesome.

O.o I mean, really, what the hell?

I didn't know TVR! (That's the map right?) could be that atmospheric with the music n lights dimmed...
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

looks great, i have a question well i noticed the gzdoom not support the change of the skin of the player when you change a weapon (but supported by skulltag) is really cool that feature is more real, well about this, the take II could be supported by skulltag or use some specific features of gzdoom??
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Oh cool, this does a lot of things I did to my version. Use some brightmaps instead of full-bright sprites, though. And if you have some modeling software, I would suggest trying to get the real models in there instead of sprites. The music in that video is mega-cool, by the way
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Salad Viking wrote:Oh cool, this does a lot of things I did to my version. Use some brightmaps instead of full-bright sprites, though. And if you have some modeling software, I would suggest trying to get the real models in there instead of sprites. The music in that video is mega-cool, by the way
well yeah 3d models are cool but cant be viewed on software.....
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

Honestly, if you're worried about looks, I would worry about texture alignment before adding in any special effects. Look at the panel on the left of your first screenshot.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Spleen wrote:Honestly, if you're worried about looks, I would worry about texture alignment before adding in any special effects. Look at the panel on the left of your first screenshot.
that is the hi res texture pack for skulltag and gzdoom, doesnt form part of the mod.
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

DOOMERO-21 wrote:
Spleen wrote:Honestly, if you're worried about looks, I would worry about texture alignment before adding in any special effects. Look at the panel on the left of your first screenshot.
that is the hi res texture pack for skulltag and gzdoom, doesnt form part of the mod.
Ah. Well, if this mod will include maps, it will be much more awesome. :)
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Spleen wrote:
DOOMERO-21 wrote:
Ah. Well, if this mod will include maps, it will be much more awesome. :)
yeah i know, i am not good making maps honestly, the problem is my patient ..... if somebody could make doom 3 style maps like another mod for superd3mod will be very good...well but someday i need to make maps for that, the superd3mod is the volume 4.5, i promised the next version, the volume 5 called "revenge of evil" will contain maps, mission, and more monsters...but for that i will start the next year.....but this mod for my mod is really cool actualy is more like doom3 honestly, DB Thanatos i making a great work......
printz

Post by printz »

DOOMERO-21 wrote: well yeah 3d models are cool but cant be viewed on software.....
I don't think this mod should be for software ZDoom. It would be nice if this way someone would introduce ragdolls in GZDoom.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

printz wrote:ragdolls in GZDoom.
NO. Ragdolls are cool but that's where I draw the line for Doom.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”