GZDoom: Stronghold, Save Games, Out of Sync

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

GZDoom: Stronghold, Save Games, Out of Sync

Post by Player701 »

Hello everyone. I'm currently playing through Stronghold with my friend on LAN, and I want to ask some questions regarding the save games and what to do if the game goes out of sync.

As you know, restarting the game (from scratch) is not an option here because we'll need to play all the missions again. So, saving and loading is the only way to complete the game.

Currently I have only one question, but it may will be followed by some more later.

What to do if the game goes out of sync? Currently, if such a bad thing happens, I save the game and reload from the save. The "out of sync" message is still there, but it disappears when a player respawns (and I don't know why).

Is there a better way to deal with out of sync problems?

Thanks.

P.S. Using stable GZDoom 1.5.2.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: GZDoom: Stronghold, Save Games, Out of Sync

Post by Zhs2 »

Rewrite the netcode. :P
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Zhs2 wrote:Rewrite the netcode. :P
Well, we already have Skulltag, but it doesn't support saves in multiplayer, which means that the server must be up all the time... and some Stronghold's scripts don't correctly work there (for example, introductions of new defense types).

BTW, another question: Does the netmode (peer to peer / packet server) have any effect on the sync problems?
Player701

Post by Player701 »

It seems like I have to answer my own question (the second one) myself: no. Changing the netmode won't affect any out of sync errors: if they were there, they will be there.

The game keeps desynchronizing just each mission, in the middle of almost each wave. So, it is impossible to normally play Stronghold coop in GZDoom without doing lots of reloads.

Although
Tormentor667 in the Stronghold thread wrote:full multiplayer for Skulltag, up to 8 players
I already stated my opinion about using Skulltag for that purpose.

So unfortunately, with the current netcode I won't be able to complete this extremely interesting mod in cooperative.

P.S. ZDoom developers, please fix the network code. Once and for all. Thanks.
P.P.S. The third question has just appeared in my mind, and I won't be able to answer it myself: Does setting -extratic have any effect on the consistansy errors?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

P2P netmode in (G)ZDooM sends only player movement and a few small odds and ends. Everything else is handled by the client. For something designed for Server/Client, it's not unlikely that problems will occur in a P2P game.
Player701 wrote:The third question has just appeared in my mind, and I won't be able to answer it myself: Does setting -extratic have any effect on the consistansy errors?
Why can't you try it yourself?
Player701

Post by Player701 »

NeuralStunner wrote:Why can't you try it yourself?
Because the guy I was playing with doesn't want to do that anymore until the netcode is fixed.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

So. He doesn't want to try anything that might actually make it work, but would rather wait for something that has not happened yet after all this time, and probably won't? :|

The position, of course, assumes that the netcode is in fact "broken".
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Yes. Of course he hates all these errors. He had experienced enough of them before he stated that he won't play this anymore, and now he doesn't want to do more tests (like -extratic).

We had been playing regular PWADs in Skulltag all the time before I found Stronghold. Of course it was great in singleplayer, but I wanted more. And you see what has happened...
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Player701 wrote:Yes. Of course he hates all these errors. He had experienced enough of them before he stated that he won't play this anymore, and now he doesn't want to do more tests (like -extratic).
Trust me, you haven't seen "throw something and scream 'screw this'" mateial until you've gotten a BSOD due to crappy video drivers. :P

Return to “Networking”