[Finished] PSX Quake 2 deathmatch maps and weapons v2.0

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: PSX Quake 2 project (QuakeW)

Post by wildweasel »

esselfortium wrote:Forgive me if this seems rude, but I'm not sure I understand the point of this project. You're creating a crippled/limited version of Quake2 to run in GZDoom, an engine with higher processor requirements than the actual game? What's the actual benefit in this, other than allowing people to play Quake2 without paying for it?
As far as I've seen, these maps are all from the PlayStation version, none of which are available in any other version of the game. I don't even know if the PC Quake 2 players have versions of these levels yet.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

esselfortium wrote:Forgive me if this seems rude, but I'm not sure I understand the point of this project. You're creating a crippled/limited version of Quake2 to run in GZDoom, an engine with higher processor requirements than the actual game? What's the actual benefit in this, other than allowing people to play Quake2 without paying for it?
Well, it actually sounds rude, and I'm gonna respond in such that way...
First of all, I'm not making this mod for you, so if you don't like it or you don't see the point, simply don't download it nor even look at it and go play Quake 2 instead, as it has better graphics even in software mode and at less memory cost.

This mod started just for fun, because of ZDoom's flexibility for modding. I started doing this for playing with my brother, as we both loved the Quake 2 deathmatch levels from the PSX version. I went on adding more and more things as I progressed with it and it looks almost like Quake 2 now, but never meaning to replace the original game. It's just a way of having fun enhancing an all-time favorite (wait... have we hit the pot already? why was a Railgun codepointer introduced to ZDoom in the first place?)

And as for ppl who actually liked it, the first beta is about to be released, so expect a download link in the following days :D
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

hfc2x wrote:
Well, it actually sounds rude, and I'm gonna respond in such that way...
First of all, I'm not making this mod for you, so if you don't like it or you don't see the point, simply don't download it nor even look at it and go play Quake 2 instead, as it has better graphics even in software mode and at less memory cost.
Yawn. "If you don't like it, don't play it" isn't a valid response to questions or criticism anywhere else, and it's not here, either. Criticism is an expected part of a project thread; we don't exist to be your personal cheerleading squad. Thanks for getting pissy with me over a question of purpose, though.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Criticism? Well that's not criticism to be exact, as if it was, it could be something like "well I dont like this mod because it lacks this and that..." and "you don't seem to be doing things right...". You just came here questioning the very existence of this mod, and that's not criticism. In fact, I presented this project for the same reason, to get sugestions and all that stuff, not for being praised for my work nor to be shat onto.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Essel's criticism was entirely valid because questioning something's purpose is valid criticism. Honestly, I had to ask myself the same question when I first saw this. No one has said this has no right to exist, it just seems like it would be more appropriate for Quake 2, especially since AFAIK none of the PSX/N64 maps have been ported to PC yet.
Last edited by Snarboo on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

hfc2x wrote:Well, it actually sounds rude, and I'm gonna respond in such that way...
Which (considering Essel went to the trouble of saying "forgive me if this seems rude") is uncalled-for. :|
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Well, I know that I've been a bitchy and I apologize. It's okay, not everybody has to like everything, but yet again I say, that I do this for fun, not for showing off skills nor anything, so if there is anybody that's willing to port those maps to PC Quake 2 (as it seems more appropiate), they are free to do. I haven't seen them yet, however, and I'm not making them, as mapping for Q2 is a lot more complex than just creating sectors and joining vertexes.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Honestly, I think this is worth looking forward to. Looks like it will be fun! :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

This sounds like it will be quite well done. One question though: DM-only or will you also include SP maps?

(BTW, was the Q2 music dubbed over the videos, or actually put into the wad/zip? I see a potential (though id likely wouldn't care, looking at all the other stuff people have done) copyright issue)
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

ChronoSeth wrote:I see a potential (though id likely wouldn't care, looking at all the other stuff people have done) copyright issue)
Well, the music is actually included, as an optional download. I know about the copyright, that an user of these games needs permission to redistribute the work of the authors (sprites, models, sounds, music), and in my case, I own Doom 2 and Quake 2 original CDs, but that does not give me permission to distribute them. As I always say, I do this for fun, and I'm not getting any profit from it, like thousands of modders do, too. Lots of people uses copyrighted material, but the original owners don't seem to care.
In every case, I acknowledge that the original owners of these games are the guys at id Software and the owner and creator of the music is Sonic Mayhem, and I'm in no way trying to steal their work.
heavyshell3k

Post by heavyshell3k »

Ok, I downloaded this but I can't extract any of the contents from the pak file onto my hard rive...I'm using Pakscape
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

heavyshell3k wrote:Ok, I downloaded this but I can't extract any of the contents from the pak file onto my hard rive...I'm using Pakscape
Uh...you do realize that this thread is a year and a half old, right?
heavyshell3k

Post by heavyshell3k »

Yeah, sorry about that....
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

PK3s are just zip archives. 7Zip works just fine. You can use SLADE3 too.
heavyshell3k

Post by heavyshell3k »

Thanks guys..7zip worked excellent

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”