[Finished] PSX Quake 2 deathmatch maps and weapons v2.0

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hfc2x

[Finished] PSX Quake 2 deathmatch maps and weapons v2.0

Post by hfc2x »

This mod is currently at version 2.0. Please report any bugs you find.

Features:
-100% accurate weapon damage formulas from PC Quake 2.
-100% accurate weapon animation and timing as they are in PC Quake 2.
-Includes deathmatch levels exclusive to the PSX version of Quake 2.
-Ability to play any megawad with increased difficulty, due to lower weapon damage (Doom weapons do a lot more damage compared to Quake 2 ones). Please note that some pick ups may appear in place of others in normal levels (Railgun may appear in place of BFG, Machinegun in place of Chaingun, etc).
-Optional 3D models for pickups.
-Optional Quake 2 music tracks for deathmatch levels.
-This is NOT compatible with Zandronum, nor there are plans for it, so please don't ask.
-If you get errors at startup, or the game doesn't start, try using the latest GZDoom development build Not required anymore.
-For more information about gameplay, you can check DuvalMagic's Quake 2 Weapons and Combat FAQ. Please note that armor pick ups don't work 100% like they do in Quake 2 yet. They Hyper Blaster also does 20 damage to monsters instead of 10, because it severely hindered its usefulness.

Deathmatch levels included:
-Q2DM01: Cold Storage
-Q2DM02: Warehouse
-Q2DM03: Aquaplex
-Q2DM04: Coliseum
-Q2DM05: Mainframe
-Q2DM06: Quickfire
-Q2DM07: Captivity
-Q2DM08: The Shaft
-Q2DM09: Hydraphobia
-Q2DM10: Toxic Vats
-Q2DM11: The Forge
-Q2DM12: Badlands

Gameplay recommendations:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
Known bugs:
Spoiler:
To do:
Spoiler:
Latest gameplay video:

Download links:
Core file (includes all weapons and levels) - version 2.0.
Optional music file (contains music tracks exclusive to the Q2 deathmatch maps)
Optional 3D pickup models (taken from Quake 2 and Vavoom)

Note that optional extra files are auto-detected by the core file, so there's no need to include them with the -file parameter as long all files are put in the same folder.
Last edited by hfc2x on Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 16 times in total.
CaptainToenail

Re: PSX Quake 2 project (QuakeW)

Post by CaptainToenail »

Awesome! I love PSX Quake 2, played through it at least ten times no joke. Nice work on The Forge, I've actually attempted to remake the DM levels in the past for Skulltag but the lack of 3D floors kept stopping my progress
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

(moved to top)
Last edited by hfc2x on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Nice work. :)
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

hfc2x wrote:I'm planning to add recoil to all the weapons (at least if they have any in original PC version Quake 2), so, anyone can explain to me how to do it?
You mean which recoil? That one what pushes the player back or other one where the screen goes up?
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

Mr.Green wrote:
hfc2x wrote:I'm planning to add recoil to all the weapons (at least if they have any in original PC version Quake 2), so, anyone can explain to me how to do it?
You mean which recoil? That one what pushes the player back or other one where the screen goes up?
In Quake 2, the machine gun tips your view up. Maybe an ACS_Execute calling a script.

Code: Select all

Script 500 (Void)
{
   SetActorPitch(0, GetActorPitch(0) + 0.02);
}
This will need to be in an ACS Library, unless you want to define it on every map.

In Decorate, the command to execute the script is simple.

Code: Select all

ACS_ExecuteAlways(500, 0)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I don't care for weapons that "climb", so I'm kinda going to hate myself for this, but here goes...
Demolisher wrote:In Quake 2, the machine gun tips your view up. Maybe an ACS_Execute calling a script.
No ACS needed. Use this in the weapon's Decorate:

[wiki]A_SetPitch[/wiki] (Pitch - 0.02)

Yes, minus. Pitch 0 is considered straight up, 90 is straight forward, 180 is straight down.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Mmm, but the PS1 Quake 2 machinegun does not have this recoil climbing at all! :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The PC version also had no machinegun climbing in deathmatch, so it's even less necessary unless the author really wants to. :P
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

NeuralStunner wrote:
[wiki]A_SetPitch[/wiki] (Pitch - 0.02)
Wow. Didn't even think of that. :shock:

Also, I enjoy the machinegun climb, as I have gotten used to it.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

You got no downloads? :( those levels look epic
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Forgive me if this seems rude, but I'm not sure I understand the point of this project. You're creating a crippled/limited version of Quake2 to run in GZDoom, an engine with higher processor requirements than the actual game? What's the actual benefit in this, other than allowing people to play Quake2 without paying for it?
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

The point is exactly the same as the point in my weapons mod, but he's taken this farther, down to the very levels themselves. It's like a personal challenge. You know how many people say they've made a q2 mod for doom that looks like crap? They use a couple screen captures, maybe some ripped textures but dont spend any time getting it right. The benefit of this is for people to play something that looks like quake 2 using something they already have, and it shows off what the engine is capable of producing, something that many mod users dont see. (not that the mods here arent good, i've seen many cool mods, including this one)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

If it was me, I'd go about creating a set of solid Quake 2-inspired maps -- completely new areas with the same resources, to provide some fresh content. At that point I guess you could argue "Just make it for Quake 2!" but at least there'd be new content for some engine in either case.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who made a (really odd) port of a bunch of PSX maps for Doom 1, so... :P
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

What's the actual benefit in this, other than allowing people to play Quake2 without paying for it?
Well, for a start these maps are not part of PC Quake 2 at all, and by remaking them in GZDoom/Skulltag you can play them online. Also it's fun and interesting to do these kind of things

Would like to see this finished, had great fun split-screening on these maps, infact they inspired some of my SA Duel maps :P

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”