[Sprites] Hexen II Axe

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
ETTiNGRiNDER

[Sprites] Hexen II Axe

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Here's a rip & rehand that I did of the throwing axe from Hexen II. It's only minimally cleaned up, and the second frame is modified from the Hammer of Retribution and might not match exactly, so it could probably use more touching up if someone's so inclined, but I don't think it came out as badly as I might have expected. The third frame should be duplicated with adjusted offsets for a good swing.
taxeall.png
taxeall.png (17.68 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Ceeb

Re: [Sprites] Hexen II Axe

Post by Ceeb »

That's pretty cool! Could be great with a little touch-up.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

A certain someone I know would be really pleased to see this. Undead Knight throwing axes, anyone? :P
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

That's indeed cool, looks very clean
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Looking good.

Also, I couldn't avoid quoting this:
"Gimli: And my axe!"
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looks nice, but this kind of things should now be made with widescreen monitors in mind as well...
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Third frame should have little more massive handle. Otherwise it looks good for minimaly edited rip.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

One thing I see is that the last frame, assuming it's the last of the attack frames, looks too large relative to the second attack frame. If you are swinging the axe, i would assume that the last action would make the weapon farthest away, thus looking the smallest. Some simple scaling down would fix it. That or Scale up the second attack frame; or a combination of both.

I also recommend some smudging of the highlighted areas on the back-blade. It looks blotchy, most likely from the low-res skin of the 3D model. Other than that, it should make a fine Hexen weapon. :)
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Gez wrote:Looks nice, but this kind of things should now be made with widescreen monitors in mind as well...
Well, I made it by screenshotting the game. I don't have widescreen.
neoworm wrote:Third frame should have little more massive handle. Otherwise it looks good for minimaly edited rip.
This, I can do.
Eriance wrote:One thing I see is that the last frame, assuming it's the last of the attack frames, looks too large relative to the second attack frame. If you are swinging the axe, i would assume that the last action would make the weapon farthest away, thus looking the smallest. Some simple scaling down would fix it. That or Scale up the second attack frame; or a combination of both.

I also recommend some smudging of the highlighted areas on the back-blade. It looks blotchy, most likely from the low-res skin of the 3D model. Other than that, it should make a fine Hexen weapon. :)
I was kind of surprised how few frames it seemed to have. It's possible that there's another frame that was hidden behind the cheesy "swoosh" effect that the thrown axe has (which gets drawn over the weapon for some reason... :? ) I can try the resizing edits though to see if it comes out better.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:I was kind of surprised how few frames it seemed to have.
Animation interpolation (smoothly moving from one animation frame to another, instead of jumping) at its finest, and most annoying.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:I was kind of surprised how few frames it seemed to have.
Animation interpolation (smoothly moving from one animation frame to another, instead of jumping) at its finest, and most annoying.
If that were the case, shouldn't the screenshotting method have avoided that?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Depends how good you are at timing it. I'd try recording it and using VirtualDub to get the individual frames.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hexen II didn't even have model interpolation, since it uses Quake 1's engine (though there are probably ports that change that).
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

"Gimli: And my axe!"
"Random guy: And my vuvuzela! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

(and I couldn't avoid quoting that, sorry)
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:I was kind of surprised how few frames it seemed to have. It's possible that there's another frame that was hidden behind the cheesy "swoosh" effect that the thrown axe has (which gets drawn over the weapon for some reason... :? ) I can try the resizing edits though to see if it comes out better.
I noticed this too when I was adding this axe to AEoD (War Axe). I found that firing it at a more upward angle seemed to eliminate that problem for the most part. Also, try it in the Egypt maps since the blue sky makes it easier to separate from the much darker colored axe.

Return to “Resources”