[Release] Parkour -- v1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [WIP] Parkour Mod [Beta.C]

Post by wildweasel »

NeuralStunner wrote:Everyone keeps talking about Textures not working right in GZDoom, and I haven't had any trouble at all with Style Mod. :?
Style Mod doesn't abuse Textures nearly as much as Parkour does.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I found a bug with the plasma rifle... If you have 30, 20, or 10 cell units 'loaded', and no more ammo besides, and try to charge all of it into a single shot (w/altfire), the weapon deselects when you run out and the shot never fires. If you have 5, 15, 25, 35, 40 or more it works as expected.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Slight bump, but I'm seriously considering just releasing this (since the contest seems to have stalled). I think I've got the charge bug Nate mentioned all fixed up, but otherwise are there any last-minute issues I should know about before tossing it on /idgames?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

None that I would know of, aside from the various graphical TEXTURE bugs in GZDoom, of course.
However, I gotta say, for being a mod that is named Parkour Mod, there is not much Parkour in it at all. :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

It's also not confusing at all that TheShooter7's actual parkour mod came out at roughly the same time as this one. I may or may not have to make a note or two somewhere to clear up the confusion (or perhaps cause more of it).
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

I had a great time playing it :)

I wish I had more buttons on my mouse...

EDIT - also, your double sawn off shotguns remind me of this (skip to :25):
Spoiler:
EDIT2 - found a bug, the plutonia M_DOOM image is cut off

EDIT3 - also the TNT/Evilution logo
cq75

Post by cq75 »

Sorry to double post, but I found a rather serious error, when I play it in GzDoom, the ammo part of the HUD gets screwed up
Spoiler:
it works ok in zdoom with the same resolution
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

GZDoom has inexplicable problems with Textures. :stuppor:
Viscra Maelstrom

As NS said yes, it doesn't work flawlessly in GZDoom. It does in ZDoom however, even if the patches in another PWAD is modified (like UAC Ultra).
cq75

Post by cq75 »

hmm... I just tried this in chex quest 3 for laughs, it works! Kind of.

I'll have to try it with a chex wad that has a super shotgun replacement, that should be interesting.
Spoiler:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, a Parchex retrofit might actually be a neat project for the future. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

Better yet, a Parketic mod! Dual-wield crossbows and go medival on their asses with the Staggering Staves super combo!
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Xaser wrote:It's also not confusing at all that TheShooter7's actual parkour mod came out at roughly the same time as this one. I may or may not have to make a note or two somewhere to clear up the confusion (or perhaps cause more of it).
Well hey, all I did was release the sources (which are now outdated, I should add). The mod itself that will be putting the code to full use is called "Edge of Doom", so I dunno it's up to you. :P
Dayve

Post by Dayve »

The first time i saw this wad i thought to myself, maybe this has potential to have its own maps to look a bit like Mirror's Edge, but i don't know where this is going exactly also i am just impressed at how this was made, it adds so much into a so little file. Very good work there, possible the best i've ever seen!
cq75

Post by cq75 »

A few things I've noticed while playing:

If you load rockets into the rocket launcher, they don't "stay in" the rocket launcher like the other weapons. If you use up all of your rockets firing grenades out of the chaingun, the five rockets loaded in your rocket launcher mysteriously disappear. Not a huge deal, but it caught me off guard.

I've never felt the bullet firing function of the chaingun was very useful, I rarely use it. I usually don't like guns that need to warm up while firing (I hate wasting bullets, and it doesn't feel like I'm in control of the weapon).

The sawn off shotguns and pistols are semi automatic, whereas all of the other weapons are not.
I can see why you did this, but I'd really like to see an option to just hold down the fire button and alternate guns for the pistols and sawn offs. Keeping track of fire, alt fire and reload is kind of tough in an intense firefight.

It'd also be cool to have an option to automatically reload the weapons when you try to dry fire (try to fire with no bullets in the chamber). The sawn offs already do this, but the plasma gun, pistols, and normal shotgun don't.

I'm not sure if you can do that, I know Psychic had an option to switch the weapons between semi and full automatic, but I've never heard of a menu option that would do that last part.

EDIT - here's the super large zorcher with the parkour mod

That's one of the weirdest yet coolest things I've ever seen. The reload frames look really cool if you don't look at them too carefully. :)

EDIT2 - I posted links to this mod on the CQFF, I hope you don't mind. This is one of my favorite mods.

EDIT3 - never mind... ultimate doom is missing a lot of sounds, from monsters, etc., there's not much point in fixing that.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”