[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: HQ DooM Music [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

Vaecrius wrote:
Shane wrote:I didn't actually expect such positive feedback.
I didn't expect the result to sound this damn good either. :P (I actually LOLd when I heard E2M1... compared to every other HQ Doom music project that adds so much in musical bells and whistles I'm just floored by how a relatively simple but fundamental change can bring these tunes to life)

EDIT: E3M4 is the wrong song.
I hope you'll check out the updated versions of the packs. I'm working my arse off to get them out a.s.a.p. I have another game soundtrack I have to write so I've got very little time between this, that, work and college. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you find anything else amiss.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: HQ DooM Music (Update 2010.08.05) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Matt »

The original and the updated versions are the two best instrumentation of E1M8 I've heard yet.

I like your first pk3 a bit better, though... the new version sounds way too "clean" in ways that I simply do not associate with the Doom aesthetic, something I've had a problem with with a lot of Doom HQ music mods.

EDIT: The melodic line in the new version's E1M7 is nearly inaudible. Not sure what happened there...
Shane

Post by Shane »

Vaecrius wrote:The original and the updated versions are the two best instrumentation of E1M8 I've heard yet.

I like your first pk3 a bit better, though... the new version sounds way too "clean" in ways that I simply do not associate with the Doom aesthetic, something I've had a problem with with a lot of Doom HQ music mods.

EDIT: The melodic line in the new version's E1M7 is nearly inaudible. Not sure what happened there...
What do you mean by too clean? What precisely?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The new guitars seem to have this super-high-treble, zero-distortion, very "tinny" sound compared to the original... I have no vocabulary to describe it better than that, sadly.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Vaecrius wrote:The new guitars seem to have this super-high-treble, zero-distortion, very "tinny" sound compared to the original... I have no vocabulary to describe it better than that, sadly.
It's kind of funny you think that the distortion is lower on these tracks, because the distortion sounded pretty awful on the others and it's much higher on these. It may not sound as dirty, but I've always preferred clarity in the tone as opposed to muddy ones. The drums were also pretty bad and caused an annoying hum.

You may prefer Woolie Wool's remixes of my packs. He will be making them when I'm done and I'll post them here, it may be more of what you're looking for.

Also, I changed the E1M7 Saw, see if that sounds better to you.
Last edited by Shane on Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Here's a prototype E1M1. The final versions will probably not sound exactly like this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0py67s

EDIT: Complete E1M1! Much harder-edged and more intense. Will probably be normalized to a higher volume for use in a wad; this will be the volume setting of the high-quality FLAC version I will also distribute.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dkyx4q
Shane

Re: [Music] HQ DooM Music (Update 2010.14.06) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

The music packs have been updated.

Doom II, Plutonia and Chex Quest are now available.

Edit: The mixing has been fixed on all the packs, I'll work on TNT soon.
MasterRipper

Re: [Music] HQ DooM Music (Update 2010.16.06) [WIP] [Link]

Post by MasterRipper »

Hey guys

I am recently new to signing up but have been a fan of this forum for AGES :D

Firstly this is a great music pack that I enjoy :D and thanks for ALL the hard work.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to convert it to work under GzDoom, the latest version.

I know a lot about WAD structure etc etc but just not sure how to get GzDoom to utilize this pack when I -file it.

Thanks a lot
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, I hadn't noticed that there was an update. It took me ages to download but now I have the Doom2 one (I'll get the others later). From what I've heard so far, I really like it. :D

@MasterRipper, just add the file that you downloaded to the command line eg

gzdoom -file doom2mus.pk3

Voila, the music in game will now be from the pack.
Nash

Post by Nash »

What are you using for the guitars? They're pretty convincing. Pretty chunky, and nice presence - really gives it that edgy sound. It's great for metal.

I don't care much for synths as most of the guitars I do in my studio are either miked through my Marshalls or through the Line 6 Pod X3 (it's difficult to get good amps in my country) but the synth you're using could be suitable for songwriting/pre production purposes. My guitarist has been using Guitar Pro and to be honest it sounds like crap - it would be great to introduce him to a good sounding guitar synth.

EDIT: Woops, forgot to comment on the packs. They're pretty good. :) They've all went into my Autoload lists. Kudos on making them sound faithful to their originals and not buttrape them like most typical "conversion projects". =)
Shane

Post by Shane »

MasterRipper wrote:Firstly this is a great music pack that I enjoy :D and thanks for ALL the hard work.
Well, you're very welcome. Expect more hard work soon. ;)
Enjay wrote:Oooh, I hadn't noticed that there was an update. It took me ages to download but now I have the Doom2 one (I'll get the others later). From what I've heard so far, I really like it. :D
Well, I hope that you will like the rest of the packs and continue to use them in the future. :)
Nash wrote:What are you using for the guitars? They're pretty convincing. Pretty chunky, and nice presence - really gives it that edgy sound. It's great for metal.

I don't care much for synths as most of the guitars I do in my studio are either miked through my Marshalls or through the Line 6 Pod X3 (it's difficult to get good amps in my country) but the synth you're using could be suitable for songwriting/pre production purposes. My guitarist has been using Guitar Pro and to be honest it sounds like crap - it would be great to introduce him to a good sounding guitar synth.

EDIT: Woops, forgot to comment on the packs. They're pretty good. :) They've all went into my Autoload lists. Kudos on making them sound faithful to their originals and not buttrape them like most typical "conversion projects". =)
Sorry for the delay.

I was using MusicLab's Real LPC ran through AmpliTube Metal on a customised Tool preset.

I'm making another huge update to the packs, and I'll be putting the tracks up for individual download on my website with the next wave of them so that people can get what they need out of them. On those, I'll be using a Les Paul and Stratocaster ran through a Marshall MG100HDFX. The next update will also include TNT, Heretic and Hexen.

Edit: If you can afford it, prominy's LPC is far more powerful and sounds better than MusicLab's LPC.

I recommend using your own amp if you want distortion, as AmpliTube always gives off a fake quality (even with real guitars). Sometimes, it's nice for a weird change, though (I use them on some test recordings just to change things up.)

However, AmpliTube 3 is a lot better about this. Amp sim technology is coming really far.

I agree with you, the RSE sounds pretty crappy. I use Guitar Pro for writing all of my songs, though.
Last edited by Shane on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueFireZ88
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Glad to hear you didn't vanish off the face of the earth. I replied to your YouTube message if case you wish to look, otherwise, I will repeat what I said here.

By the way, the new samples are awesome. But for some reason the Hanger theme seems a bit off. I can't quite put my finger on it. The back section of the piece doesn't sound right. Otherwise, E1M4 is a great rendition, the Intermission theme is solid, and the Dis theme feels very appropriate for the level.
Shane

Post by Shane »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Glad to hear you didn't vanish off the face of the earth. I replied to your YouTube message if case you wish to look, otherwise, I will repeat what I said here.

By the way, the new samples are awesome. But for some reason the Hanger theme seems a bit off. I can't quite put my finger on it. The back section of the piece doesn't sound right. Otherwise, E1M4 is a great rendition, the Intermission theme is solid, and the Dis theme feels very appropriate for the level.
I'll check YouTube in just a second. Those are WIPs and should be regarded as such. I can guarantee they'll change a LOT before the next version of the packs come out. :)
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Downloaded your Doom 1 music and i loved it.IMO the best HD music for Doom. :) I especialy like that in these music tracks are more guitar sounds than electronic sounds.
I be waiting for your Heretic music pack and again thx for music. :)
BlueFireZ88
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Shane wrote:I'll check YouTube in just a second. Those are WIPs and should be regarded as such. I can guarantee they'll change a LOT before the next version of the packs come out. :)
Understandable, so far it's looking very good. Please let us know of any updates.:)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”