Shades of War

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
LilWhiteMouse

Shades of War

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

This is not a project per-se, but rather a culmination of ideas that got brewed together. So don't expect it to be much fun. There are similar projects out there that accomplish much of the same and play much better.

http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/shades.7z
Mirror courtesy of PDF: http://www.prdarkfox.com/doomstuff/shades.7z
Run ZDoom with the 7zip, don't bother extracting it.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
The player is mostly ineffectual against the Tankoids at first. It's the players job to mop up enemy infantry, and rally surrounding friendlies. In the presence of the player, friendly units (brunettes) will use better weapons against the Tankoids and use a slightly improved AI as you rank up. Defeating Tankoids and enemy infantry will grant you rank points. There are three color ranks, with three sub ranks each. Each new color rank grants a new weapon. Other abilities are unlocked at various sub ranks (shield regeneration, health regeneration, ally regeneration, etc).

Friendly units spawn at four assembly points on the map. If one is destroyed, the player merely has to go to it and stand near the generator once the repair ability has been unlocked. An on screen display will indicate the repair process underway. If you have to leave, the repair process will have to start all over when you return.

Hold the fire button to shoot/reload. Altfire with the Shenk or Izen will deploy a drone that will defend the nearest generator against enemy infantry. The Shenk is a weak but accurate pistol and your starting weapon,and has unlimited clips. The Izen is a less then accurate assault rifle. Enemy infantry drop clips for it. When the AMR1 is unlocked, hit fire to deploy it/fire, altfire to undeploy. The AMR1 is a particle beam weapon, so it has unlimited ammo. It draws it's power (20 units) from your shields however, so firing it repeatedly can completely drain your shields.

Singleplayer respawning is allowed, but I've never fully tested it. There's also a built in respawn button, but it doesn't work entirely either.

There is a bug I never tracked down. Sometimes, the Tankoid will refuse to spawn and screw up the whole process. If a tankoid doesn't appear after a minute or so, you'll have to restart. A message will appear saying that the spawn process failed.

Somethings were developed as they are because I needed to squeeze every FPS I could initially. The Rotoids and Jeepoids were completely disabled to conserve FPS, though I doubt it's needed anymore.
Last edited by LilWhiteMouse on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: Shaded War

Post by chronoteeth »

Any screenshots?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I like how your models are much less bubbly as they were before. Fingers actually look like fingers now! :D
qwerqsar

Post by qwerqsar »

That was fun :D
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Heh. This is pretty cool.

BTW, when does this end?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

It doesn't. I had intended to put a stop at a certain point level. Obviously never got that far.
LilWhiteMouse

Re: Shades of War

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

I've made a number of references to this so I've re-posted a current copy.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

i really like this :D
i just love when everything can be wrecked, you can just bring down buildings, blow the shit out of cars, and the feeling of being so puny when standing next to a tankoid...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Wow this is pretty fun. As previously mentioned, its fun to destroy stuff. Overall very well designed.

But ... well... it doesn't have much "friction" to it. Its not really that satisfying killing enemies. In Doom you can really feel you have impounded some lead into your enemies flesh, but here it feels bland.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

I like this a lot. In my opinion all that is needed is some GIB states, I'd also like to see more types of Tankoid. Maybe smaller variants? Even some for the friendly side would be nice, even if they where just fodder.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Tragos wrote:I like this a lot. In my opinion all that is needed is some GIB states, I'd also like to see more types of Tankoid. Maybe smaller variants? Even some for the friendly side would be nice, even if they where just fodder.
At first I didn't do gibs because my system at the time couldn't handle it. Civvies need gibs, they're always getting in the way. I think most of the existing gibs disappear too. I'm not sure how I'd do the Jenosa biomechanica gibs, they're AI driven organic machines.
The gist of the back plot is that an argument starts in the cities military. The mechanized corp think they can do everything on their own, the infantry corp feel they're under appreciated, the naval corp is trying to mother both sides, and the air corp thinks they're all immature brats. Before the engineers can reprogram them to calm down, their argument turns into a full blown fight and spills into the city streets. As an infantry command type, it's your job to show the mechanized corp that your infantry are better then their armor. Thus, all you get is infantry you have to rally to defeat the tankoids.
The jeepoids would be easy enough to re-enable, and could mount the tankoid's sub-turret. I also have a few more pieces for the tankoids, but never rendered them. I would like to give the friendly Jenosa's another weapon or two. Perhaps a sniper rifle and flamer for dealing with enemy infantry at long/short range. Maybe even give them a few grenades like the enemy Jenosas use for when friendlies run out of mines.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Shades of War now has a mirror on Treadhead Studios: HERE

LilWhiteMouse, if you need a mirror for ANY project, please PM me and I'll get one up. I have lots of space and bandwidth to spare.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”