[WIP] Ωmega (Progress on MAP09)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

[WIP] Ωmega (Progress on MAP09)

Post by Jimmy »

As some of you may know, this is my entry to the second Doom Mutator Contest. In it, you are placed in the role of a nigh-indestructible demigod, who may learn up to 12 different skills of varying degrees of asskickery. Set the demons on fire, freeze them solid, send them shooting up into the sky, poison them, atomize them, it's all right here. ;) You may choose between the forces of Order and Chaos - and each class has a different set of 12 skills which work differently to one another. A rundown of the (slightly complex) gameplay concept is below, but first a disclaimer...

"Ωmega" is an idea I've had in my mind for quite a while, and while it may very well play much like Psychic, the general gameplay concept has been in my head for a number of years now, and since then my skill in developing ZDoom projects has become sufficient enough to translate those ideas to ACS and DECORATE. I am not by any means trying to steal Xaser's thunder here. :P

I believe that with the right care and attention, this mutator can evolve into a fully-fledged, plot-driven total conversion. Watch this thread for any progress I might happen to make with regards to that (which might not be for a while yet). :P

Anyway, this mod has been released multiple times throughout the Contest thread in various incomplete forms, but here's a release I've finally settled on. Without further ado, here is the first official beta.

Download
>>> Get it! <<<

(Note: You need the absolute latest SVN of ZDoom to guarantee that this mod will run!!)

Screenshots
Visual proof that this project actually has had work put into it. ;)
Spoiler: Beware: REALLY old screenies (only Order gameplay shown)
Gameplay Rundown
  • The first thing you'll notice is a bunch of colored bars in the top right-hand corner of the new HUD. These are your Omega reserves - Omega being the equivalent of Mana or Chi or whatever you like. There are four types: yellow, green, red and blue, and you use these to attack.
  • You start out armed with only your fist, one "skill", and 75 Yellow Omega.
  • You will also notice a white bar labelled "Z". This is your zeal. This is also spent when you attack.
  • The first bar in the top-right hand corner is highlighted. Use the mousewheel or the number keys 1-4 to scroll through the bars.
  • Altfire activates the currently highlighted color of Omega. When you activate it, your screen will be tinted to show the color, and you'll see the name of the currently selected skill. You may acquire up to 12 skills (a Level 1, Level 2 and a Level 3 skill for each color of Omega) by picking up "skill orbs" which replace the weapons.
  • When Omega is active, you'll see the time before it deactivates on the left side of the screen. Keep hitting altfire to boost this number in increments of 15.
  • If you possess more than one skill for the currently active Omega (up to 3 may be used at a time), you may switch between them by using the mousewheel or the number keys 1-3.
  • Beware! Watch your zeal - while Omega is active, your zeal diminishes gradually. If it falls under 30 points (you start off with 100 but it can climb up to 200 if you pick up bonuses) your screen will start flashing erratically and you will begin taking damage until the Omega deactivates - or until you die. You should then refrain from using any attacks, if you can, until you can replenish your zeal (it recharges gradually while no Omega is active, but only up to 100).
Extra Gameplay Features
  • You may cancel whatever Omega is currently active by setting a keybind in the options menu to do so. On cancelling, you will be reverted to just your regular fists and will lose however much Omega you had left.
  • You may select which skill you'd like automatically selected when you activate Omega by setting a keybind.
  • If you get your zeal high enough, you'll unlock special powerups that affect you until your zeal drops beyond that point.
  • All Level 3 skills require extra zeal to perform. Because of this, they should be used sparingly, but if you don't possess enough zeal to begin with, you won't be able to use them at all.
Items
  • Omega charges replace all ammo in the game. They come in four colors (yellow, green, red and blue) and two sizes (giving either 5 and 15 omega to one reserve).
  • All the weapons have been replaced by skill orbs. There are 11 skill orbs to pick up along the way.
  • Berserk packs and chainsaws have been replaced by "Strengthcharges" which boost your health by 100 (past 100%) and supply you with a berserk fist.
  • Stimpacks and medkits have been replaced by "soul globes" which heal 5 and 15 health, respectively.
  • Zealspheres replace soulspheres. They add 100 points (up to 200) to your zeal.
  • Brown Omega charges, called "Omega Boosters", increase the total capacity of your Omega reserves by 10, up to 200. These replace the backpack.
Skills
If you wish to spoil the skills you can acquire for yourself, here they are:
[spoiler="Order" class moveset (I had to rewrite most of these bleeeeeehhh)]YELLOW
(1) Fire Ball: Shoots a standard, low-damage fireball. The perfect starter skill, and good against weaker enemies.
(2) Heat Seekers: Projects three powerful ripping fireballs with insane homing thresholds. They will search the area for targets, lock onto one, and circle around the target dealing damage until they explode (which they will after a time) or hit a wall.
(3) Pyro Sphere: Shoots a sticky sphere of napalm which glues itself to the target for a short time, dealing powerful burns. Once the target is weakened sufficiently, they're sent shooting up into the stratosphere and explode violently.

GREEN
(1) Acid Rain: Summons a green cloud that spits acidic globules down on the unfortunate demons below.
(2) Razor Claw: Shoots five dart-like projectiles out at high velocity and at a good rate of fire, making it the perfect SSG equivalent.
(3) Photon Burst: Projects a powerful ball of plasma out, which, if sufficient space is available, will stop and proceed to shoot smaller plasma projectiles outward. The BFG 2704's got nothing on this.

RED
(1) Rage Fists: This is a melee-only skill and employs both fists. Each blow does exactly 35 damage and leaves miniature explosions on the impact.
(2) Searing Blaze: Calls forth a burning flame that on contact with the ground, will send an inferno of crimson flames spiralling outward.
(3) Hell Fountain: Fires a deadly ball of flame towards the target. When the ball impacts, it spreads a shower of ripping fireballs that do massive damage to anything nearby.

BLUE
(1) Plasma Snake: Fires out three floor-hugging projectiles which leave trails of plasma bursts and home in on the nearest target. Left to its own devices, it may circle around the target until it rips through it enough times to kill it.
(2) Static Storm: Shoots out a cloud of static energy which rips through targets.
(3) Lucid Spirits: Summons a great spirit which seeks out the nearest target and circles it, doing powerful damage while it does so. If it impacts a wall, it splits into 8 smaller spirits... which split into 8 more each... which split into a further 8 each.[/spoiler]
Spoiler: Chaos
I think that's everything. Game on! :o
Last edited by Jimmy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jimmy

Re: [WIP] Omega

Post by Jimmy »

I've decided to start work on the "full version", as it were, of this mod. :P

What could this be? :o
Spoiler:
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

With just a little more work this could be Rawrsome.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

What do you plan to add to the full version? As mutator this was interesting enough, but I wonder how you can push it further without the mutator limitations.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Well, the obvious is that I won't be constrained to just the Doom 2 resources. With this in mind, I'll be making new graphics for the HUD, and possibly sprites for the player's attacks. It will be given an all-round aesthetic makeover, in other words.

Custom maps is obvious as well, and there will be a running plot to go along with them (think Massmouth 2 in terms of progression ;)). The maps within it will extensively use a pool of custom textures from a number of resources, including Cage's amazing texture pack (which he posted here recently), and a few of the UAC Ultra textures. :)
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Massmouth style? Hm, that's interesting. I am curious about the plot too, it's difficult to write something about nigh-indestructible demigods. Will it use a hub system or a more linear/classic arrangement?
And more importantly, will we see more player classes/skills? I kind of dig your style for doing attacks :P
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Mostly it will be a linear progression, as the player will have to visit several worlds in turn throughout the storyline, but the player will also have the option to go back and forth between the interrelated maps on each world (so basically there'll be several small hubs of 2-3 maps each, instead of a couple of large hubs).

So far I've only outlined the plot for the Order player class, and I'll have to think hard about how to implement the Chaos class's gameplay into the maps - all I can say at the moment is that it will be radically different to the Order class.

There may be a new player class or two, but they won't have the same arsenal as the Order and Chaos classes (perhaps one skill for every color of Omega).
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've been busy.
Spoiler: Nine new screenshots
Captain Ventris

Re: [WIP] Omega (9 new screenshots!)

Post by Captain Ventris »

Nice, that all looks real atmospheric. Sweetness.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

What is the (I'm guessing it's a) enemy in the third from last shot?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

That's a robot from Necrodome. :)
SamVision

Re: [WIP] Ωmega (9 new screenshots!)

Post by SamVision »

Hey how do you get the HUD to work? I can't get t to work on Pakour either.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Gaah, not that yellow again. I hate that yellow. X_X
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

MOLTEN CHEDDAR.

*ahem*

Anyway, it looks good aside from that.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

SamVision wrote:Hey how do you get the HUD to work? I can't get t to work on Pakour either.
GZDoom breaks the HUD, for some reason. In the mean time, you'll have to use regular ZDoom or suffer through it -- doesn't make sense why it does what it does, but for whatever reason, it does it. :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”