SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
japboy

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta4 up)

Post by japboy »

sirjuddington wrote:External editing is planned, yes. Also compilation of other script languages then ACS.

Anyway it's been more than a month, so grab beta 5 from the usual place.
text editor now seems to be much improved! great job! additionally i like the idea to support external editors.
Gez

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta5 up)

Post by Gez »

I see references to tree files, but I don't find them on the repository itself. Did you forget to commit them?
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Added.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Now I have a feeling this may have been mentioned before, but what about a Recent Files list in the File tab?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Beta 5 no longer appears to read BMF files. (see http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... bundle.zip for a test case). Beta 4 reads them fine.

EDIT: False alarm, I am a moron and didn't extract SLADE.pk3 from b5.
Gez

Post by Gez »

When pasting several entries, it would probably be a good idea not to auto-select each of them in sequence. It takes far too long when you're pasting, say, the entire content of an IWAD in another file. When I commented out that code, I made a build where pasting was nigh-instantaneous! (Selecting, though, still takes a lot of time.)

By the way, I made some code which I do not intend to commit because it's not Doom-centric. It was to allow me to open Shadowcaster archives. It's not entirely finished anyway because I haven't tried to get it to display the flats and textures (they had been already ripped before so it wasn't a priority).
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Gez (on DW) wrote:For all zero people out there interested...
I'm interested... :(

I know you uploaded some props elsewhere, if you have the time can you put together all the in-game sprites? (PNG or BMP, doesn't really matter.) Some of the monsters were pretty nifty! :)
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Hmm, I might look at exactly why it takes so long to select a lot of entries, since it really shouldn't. And feel free to add the shadowcaster stuff to the svn, I made the base archive class fairly generic for a reason :P (though yeah I know the D in SLADE stands for doom, but meh :P). Although you might want to wait a bit, I'm currently in the middle of reworking the EntryDataFormat stuff...

Edit: Ok, multiple selection is slow because (de)selecting multiple entries generates an event for each item (de)selected. Yay wxWidgets.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think the detectFormat() functions should know about the archive entry, not just its content stored in a memchunk. Why? Because it could help guess the likelihood of various formats (e.g., Shadowcaster uses the same "arah" format as Doom alpha for some graphics, but with transparent index 0 instead of 255, so if the archive entry's parent archive is a wad it's more likely to be Doom alpha and if it's a dat it's more likely to be Shadowcaster).

Perhaps more importantly, this is required to identify most types of GL nodes. E.g., the formats for GL_SSECT v4 and v5 differ, but they have no header, the only way to tell is to check the header of the accompanying GL_VERT lump.

Some other musings: would it be possible to move the palette selector in the toolbar? That would give it more room, which would allow to add also prev/next buttons like the palette viewer has; and also possibly a colormap/translation table selector (which prev/next buttons too). There would not be enough space for them on the graphics/texture panels I think.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Gez wrote:I think the detectFormat() functions should know about the archive entry, not just its content stored in a memchunk. Why? Because it could help guess the likelihood of various formats (e.g., Shadowcaster uses the same "arah" format as Doom alpha for some graphics, but with transparent index 0 instead of 255, so if the archive entry's parent archive is a wad it's more likely to be Doom alpha and if it's a dat it's more likely to be Shadowcaster).

Perhaps more importantly, this is required to identify most types of GL nodes. E.g., the formats for GL_SSECT v4 and v5 differ, but they have no header, the only way to tell is to check the header of the accompanying GL_VERT lump.

Some other musings: would it be possible to move the palette selector in the toolbar? That would give it more room, which would allow to add also prev/next buttons like the palette viewer has; and also possibly a colormap/translation table selector (which prev/next buttons too). There would not be enough space for them on the graphics/texture panels I think.
Hmm, that does make sense, at the moment I'm still using the raw data to detect though. I'll think about it :P Although with the gl nodes stuff, I don't think it's needed to differentiate between the versions anyway, since they can't be viewed/edited. And if they could that could be done on opening the entry. I'd like to start toning down some of the detection as it's getting pretty slow. A simple name/size check should be good enough for now.

As for moving the palette selector into the toolbar, I'd love to, but wxAUI sucks and combo boxes in toolbars don't quite work properly :( If I could I'd also add a toolbar with a base resource archive selector. Perhaps I'll look into it again at some point.

In other news I've started reworking the entry list control to use the wxLC_VIRTUAL style, which makes it infinitely faster than the current non-virtual one, with the one minor drawback of it being impossible to auto-size the columns (but I've made them re-sizable manually and the sizes are saved, which is almost as good).
Gez

Post by Gez »

Problems solved! It was a sneaky one.
Gez

Post by Gez »

A bug I can't trace back: when you save a zip file, it creates in the listing several INVALID INDEX fake entries because OnGetItemText() is called.

Also, I really miss the ability to jump to an entry by typing the first letters of its name. I hope this can be implemented in the new list system.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

It appears you forgot to commit a bunch of files last revision, I can't compile the latest revision :P

And yeah, I'll have to implement that manually (it only used to work in windows anyway heh)

Edit: Fixed the INVALID INDEX stuff, was because I didn't override updateList for ZipArchiveEntryPanel properly, and so it was calling the ArchiveEntryList one instead, which sets the list's size to the number of entries in the archive, rather than the current directory :P
Last edited by sirjuddington on Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Fixed.

Hey, just noticed a new bug (it used to work before): it now crashes when saving a zip that's embedded in a zip. (Saving embedded wads do work, though.) Fixed by giving different names to the temporary files created for opening and for writing. :)
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Looking even nicer! I'll be pleased when Beta 6 is out. (Shadowcaster sprites... =:) )

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”