[Contest] Doom Mutator Contest 2!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

[Contest] Doom Mutator Contest 2!

Post by Cutmanmike »

I think it's a about time we had a new contest. How about it? It's been almost a year since the original Doom Mutator contest, and a ton of interesting mods came out back then. I learned some great new things from the last slew of mods, I dunno about you. Have we all learned some new tricks and got some new ideas?

If you didn't catch the old one, you can check it out here and the results thread here.

Let's see if we can get another one started. I am hoping to see more entries (especially from those who said they would participate but didn't ;)) and original ideas. Give it a shot!

There's only two new rules, be sure to read them over.

What is it?

The contest is to see who can make the best/funniest/coolest game mutator WAD for Doom2. What's a mutator? Well I don't use the term often, but I thought it would be the best way to describe it. Basically the PWAD should alter the game in some shape or form, even if it's a tiny change. No new maps or anything, it effects the whole game which means it can be used with other levels and WADs.

Rules

To enter, just post a link to the wad with a brief description of what it does (And one that is INFORMATIVE! Tell us what the PWAD is going to do!!), with a small screenshot if you like. In order to be valid the PWAD must follow these rules:
  • No new maps.
  • No new graphics (including sprites, textures, patches, the lot). TEXTURES and ANIMDEFS is FINE (even for monsters/weapons etc)
  • No new sounds/music. Although manipulating Doom 2 sounds in SNDINFO is fine
  • No DEHACKED or DEHSUPP (because we've moved on since then)
  • No GZDoom specific things like models or GLDEFS.
  • Has to work in ZDoom (latest SVN).
  • You are allowed to use DECORATE (duh)
  • You are allowed to use ACS libraries and LOADACS.
  • You are allowed to use SBARINFO.
  • Anything else not listed is allowed. Just use common sense, we're looking for gameplay modifications.
  • Obviously, entries in the first compo are not allowed to enter (but maybe if they're heavily modified).
  • PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD post a decent description. Not anything like "lol doom gets AIDS and is CRAZYYY" because that makes me forget what the heck the mod is about, and I have to play it again and figure it out to tell people what it does in the voting process.
So what can you edit or make? Anything! Modify the weapons, make new monsters, make some playerclasses. It's up to you, but you can only use resources from Doom 2!

Example

Here is an example of a valid entry:
Cutman wrote:10x
Multiplies the amount of Doom 2 monsters by 10!
Spoiler:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15336
You can upload anywhere (sendspace, megaupload etc). This example just happens to be uploaded to idgames.

Judges, voting, the prize etc will be decided in the near future if you wish to participate. I'm taking entries now, get cracking! I hope to see some whacky, fun and creative ideas. :)

Notes
  • If you post an updated version of your WAD, be SURE to go back and edit the previous post with the updated information.
  • Only one entry per person. If you post two the first one will be used, so go back and edit the first post you made with the WAD you want to use.
  • This time I will try my hardest to grab the files before the voting but please try to upload your files somewhere reliable. DRDTeam's sharespace is a decent area to upload to.
  • Let me know if you want in, just to give me some idea of how many people will be enrolling.
alysiumX

Re: [Contest] Doom Mutator Contest 2!

Post by alysiumX »

OH SNAP!

I might give this another shot and see what I come up with : D
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

I'd love to participate! If only I wasn't fresh out of ideas... :evil: I'd ask about a deadline but I assume you won't have one until you have a better idea of how many entrants you'll have, no?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Cool -- maybe this'll give me a chance to do what I wanted to do last time 'round. ;)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Count me in too.
Worst

Post by Worst »

I'm interested too :P
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I'll put up a deadline when we have a few entries rolling around, but don't worry. The last one was huge.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

The rules say 'no new sounds'. Might it be possible to allow a SNDINFO lump, if it manipulates sounds already present in doom2.wad? :?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I guess that is acceptable, yes.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Awesome. I have a great idea for this (my first ever release, no less), count me in. 8-)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Okay, let's get the ball rolling:

Shuffle Lite!

A "diet" version of my monster randomizer wad, with a selection of familiar enemies (and a few new ones) recreated entirely in DECORATE with translations (some of which are better than others, I admit :P), all of which crammed into less than 32kB!

Enjoy!

EDIT: Quick update to fix a couple of sound issues (really need to turn the stereo off when I do this). Also now works with the latest SVNs.
Attachments
ShuffleLite.wad
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Last edited by scalliano on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Project Shadowcat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

scalliano wrote:Okay, let's get the ball rolling:

Shuffle Lite!

A "diet" version of my monster randomizer wad, with a selection of familiar enemies (and a few new ones) recreated entirely in DECORATE with translations (some of which are better than others, I admit :P), all of which crammed into less than 32kB!

Enjoy!
AGH, MAP07 just got a lot tougher!
*applause*
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Ok I just had the best idea ever. I'll do it when I get home.

but it involves enemies exploding on death. in a very specific way.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

I have a good idea but I'm too lazy to put in the work needed to pull it off. That, and it would be very stupid.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

i think i can accept this challenge, i have ideas, if i can edit the sprites and sounds of doom2 of course i was thinking combining some influences of doom3.....i am working on.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”