HexenHanced (v1.4c / Patch) - Discontinued

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Godzilla

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.2)

Post by Godzilla »

Chase I thought this too.
But it turns out he has the best athletic ability.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

A couple of comments:

1. If you're going to redo the status bar, bear in mind that the Fullscreen HUD gets wiped upon the loading of SBARINFO.
2. The Tomed versions of the weapons are generally unimaginative. All they really are at the moment is just better versions of the standard weapons.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

TheDarkArchon wrote:2. The Tomed versions of the weapons are generally unimaginative. All they really are at the moment is just better versions of the standard weapons.

While this is actually what the tome was meant to do... if you'd watch your wording....

I gotta agree. It doesn't add anything to the effect. Most of 'em is what you'd get if ya put the guys on roids. The only one where the effect is more noticeable is the Wizard-guy. The rest just get increased mellee damage, or triple the effect, but nothing really 'special'. As in special effects.
The weapons just don't feel powerfull.

It's kinda like the doom-guy berserk. Your screen goes red, but when you punch something and it explodes you'll just go 'Eh...' after the third time or so.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

You gotta be kidding me about he berserker thing. Every time I get one I stop punching things and start PANCHING things.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Yes, I still need to finish the SBarInfo. As I've said before, I use the Alt HUD, so I don't think about it much. :(
2. I used up most of the good ideas for AltFire modes... It was only intended to augment their power, though. After all, there is no Tome in Hexen originally. Which kinda sucks.

The more unusual powered behaviors are:
- Timon's Axe, Primary: Instead of more basic damage, it has a longer-range sub-attack. (Wipes Afrits in one hit, nice.) Up close, both together make for good power.
- Mace of Contrition, Both: Does extra Ice dmage. This would be more notable in the case I add DamageFactors to enemies. (Imagine being able to cream an Afrit in one hit.) So this one may not count.
- Serpent Staff, Secondary: Makes a gas cloud each time you drain an enemy.
- Bloodscourge, Primary: I just love how this one turned out. (I also borrowed some cool unused sprites from Hexen.wad, I think there must've been a MageStaffFX1 at some point?)

Working on the fullscreen HUD now. If there's nothing else I really need to fix, I may release v1.3 later today.
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.3)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Well, I not-really-promised this update about two days ago. Anyways, here you go. Hope I remembered everything this time! ;)

Updates and Changes in v1.3:
- Work has begun on the Exorcist class!
- Fixed the Krater of might to match the new Mana definitions.
- Fixed a possible problem with the Combined Mana being picked up when not needed.
- Adjusted Armor types and their benefits to each class.
- Adjusted jumping height for each class. (None went down, don't worry.)
- Slowed the Fist back down just a tiny bit.
- Decreased the maximum damage of Quietus without Mana.
- Tweaked the powered Mace's Ice damage a bit.
- Halved damage of the powered Serpent Staff's gas cloud. Made it a little more transparent also.
- Increased Firestorm's missile speed. Decreased the spawn radius of the flame ring, making it deadlier.
- Made Wraithverge's gems blue, to match its aura color better.
- Frost Shards now do a bit more damage per shard, but still most effective up close.
- The bouncing ice ball atack now freezes, but can still shatter frozen enemies.
- Improved the way sounds are handled, such as weapon swings and explosive hits.
- More work on the Status Bar. Applied some interpolation, so indicators change smoothly.
- Added a fullscreen HUD. It has all the data the normal Bar does, and just a bit more...
- Replaced the Mana symbols on the HUD with light-up symbols for each class' #2 and #3 weapon.
- A bit of initial work on player sprites.
- Globallized the (still unused) "dummy weapon", added flag items for tracking player classes later.
- Spread out the text sections in Info.txt, to make reading it a bit easier.

Plans for future versions:
- Add obituaries for all the weapons.
- Give them all icons for the Alternate HUD.
- Add class checks to weapons and some items.
- Rework the Flechettes, and maybe a few other Artifacts.
- Some changes and fixes to the player class sprites.
- Rework monsters. (Looking forward to trying out a new, more "realistic" AI I've been working on.)
- Complete the Exorcist class, of course...

You can find the new download in the first post.

Well, it's late and I need sleep soon. Y'all can praise and/or harass me later. :P
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

I'm on it.

... testing I mean.

I got a few hours off of work so I might as well use it for usefull stuff...
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

This is going to be the basis for a really good singleplayer mod!!!! I tried the newest version, 1.3 at this point, and am loving it!!!! Hell you could even have a randomizer for some monsters - I'm not proposing ANOTHER HeXen-style AeOd, but rather just a few things. Once you have the improved AI in, some Ettins for example would spawn as Ettin captains (chainmail-covered, at a rate of 15%), some as the Skullwizard (rate, 5%), than 10% of Rievers would be ShadowWizards!!!! Some Wendigos would be Scimitars!!!! But not much else otherwise....

If used as a basis for a new mod those randomizers would remain the same, while other new creatures are independant numbers.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Glad you like. I hope to make variant monsters as well. How do RandomSpawners and other random things affect net games though?

I have another question for the players. Which is more important for the healing artifacts: To be able to be autoused, or to restore Stamina? It can only be one or the other, unfortunately. (A choice between [wiki=Classes:HealthPickup]HealthPickup[/wiki] and [wiki=Classes:CustomInventory]CustomInventory[/wiki]...)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

CodenniumRed wrote:This is going to be the basis for a really good singleplayer mod!!!! I tried the newest version, 1.3 at this point, and am loving it!!!! Hell you could even have a randomizer for some monsters - I'm not proposing ANOTHER HeXen-style AeOd, but rather just a few things. Once you have the improved AI in, some Ettins for example would spawn as Ettin captains (chainmail-covered, at a rate of 15%), some as the Skullwizard (rate, 5%), than 10% of Rievers would be ShadowWizards!!!! Some Wendigos would be Scimitars!!!! But not much else otherwise....

If used as a basis for a new mod those randomizers would remain the same, while other new creatures are independant numbers.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO! Randomised monster spawned are already used in too many mods, it doesn't need to infect this one.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Granted, I don't see the point in replacing a monster with something that's "the same tier" but a different beastie altogether. Not for this particular mod anyway... I'd like to keep this at least a little MP friendly if I can, I just hope the randomness I've used so far won't affect that. Another option is to make monster variants as a sort of add-on pack.

In terms of "mixing things up", I might just see how far resistances/vulnerabilities will go. I.E. Afrits taking (just a bit) less damage from fire attacks.
darmuss

Post by darmuss »

This mod doesn't work with the lastest zdoom svn version. :(
supergoofy

Post by supergoofy »

for now stick with ZDoom 2.4.1.2153 and GZDoom 1.4.3.741

Graf (in r2158) introduced some checks to help modders find errors in their mods.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

darmuss wrote:This mod doesn't work with the lastest zdoom svn version. :(
Yeah, I don't like the sound of that. :| I replaced Artifacts with new actors but with the same names. (So inventory keybinds would still work.) I've since been told "don't do that" on general principle, so I've got to fix those. (Actually, there aren't that many.)

If nobody minds a little extra INI "clutter", I'll add a key section for Artifacts. Which would be handy, in general. :)

I also have a few more sprites to do, and a bit more testing (to make sure I didn't forget anything), then v1.4 will be ready.
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4)

Post by NeuralStunner »

+BUMPSPECIAL

I have fixed the naming errors, so it doesn't scream any more. Thanks to Graf, who added those error checks... I found several I didn't even know about!

Updates and Changes in v1.4:

- Fixed Actor naming issues.
- Returned to the native Quartz Flask and Mystic Urn, now their autouse behavior is back.
- The Crystal Vial is now the only healing item to restore Stamina. It restores 5-10 SM instead of 2-10.
- Set weapon icons for the Alternate HUD.
- Added obituaries for all the weapons.
- Adjusted the point at which weapons alert monsters. Foes will react a bit more slowly to those sounds.
- Added complete pickup sprites for the #4 weapons. Set weapon icons for all weapons.
- Animated the Axe, Hammer, Serpent Staff, and #4 weapons/pieces. The Serpent Staff blinks. :)
- Slightly increased the thrown Hammer's time between refiring. Same for Wraithverge's AltFire.
- The Serpent Staff's hissing will no longer alert foes.
- Tweaked the powered Serpent Staff's acid cloud. It is smaller and shorter-lived.
- Reworked Flechettes and their effects. Added some nice sprites for them.
- Made every Class gain a unique extra effect for the Icon of the Defender.
- Fixed problems with translation ranges in some player Pprites.
- New attack animations for Players. Tweaked some other animations.
- Set several projectiles to force X/Y Billboarding in GZDoom.

Plans for future versions:
- Give the Mage a more human death animation.
- Implement damage type resistance by class.
- Rework monsters. (Looking forward to trying out a new, more "realistic" AI I've been working on.)
- Complete the Exorcist class...

Yet again, here's to hoping I didn't miss anything. ;)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”