Document all changes in FMOD version in the SVN log

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Spleen

Document all changes in FMOD version in the SVN log

Post by Spleen »

It would be really nice if it was logged every time a new revision used a new version of FMOD. Right now, it can be hard to figure out exactly which version I need when I'm trying build old revisions in order to track down where something broke.

I realize that asking to do this retroactively is probably too much, but even if non-retroactive, this will definitely be very useful a year from now when I (or someone else) tries to compile those versions of ZDoom.
Gez

Re: Document all changes in FMOD version in the SVN log

Post by Gez »

The switch from FMOD to FMOD Ex was started around March 2008 and finished between that moment and October of the same year. Since July 2009, any version of ZDoom should be compilable with any version of FMOD Ex that is at least 4.26.
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

Hmm, but what about the versions in between? For instance, I see GZDoom 1.1.01 using FMOD EX version 4.12.4. The change to this particular version was not documented anywhere in the ZDoom SVN log nor the GZDoom SVN log, from what I can find..

Basically, we're free not to use the EXACT version of FMOD? Other versions around 4.12.x could work too? Is there a list of version ranges that work, and/or FMOD version numbers that break compatibility with previous versions?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

To clarify:

Older versions of (G)ZDoom have certain compatibility issues with the different versions of FMOD that are available.

Now, these are strictly compatibility issues, and do not necessarily negate any version of FMOD from working on certain ones - however - finding the right version of FMOD might not be as hard as you think.

The key here is the dates. ZDoom was not always up to date with FMOD, but often if you used a version of FMOD that was released between a week to a month or so prior to the version you are trying to build, as a general rule it will work. Note however, that sometimes ZDoom actually did upgrade to the *latest* version of FMOD available at the time.

So, as you go up in revisions, if FMOD suddenly breaks, simply upgrade it to a bit more of a recent version. You don't have to upgrade FMOD every time you take a step up the revision tree.

http://www.fmod.org/index.php/download/find
http://zdoom.org/Changelog

Both provide dates and should be fairly effective with what you are trying to do. For the most part, the dates will match up. FMod errors were usually fixed pretty quick whenever they were reported. And like Gez said, after one of the ZDoom revisions in mid-2009, you should be able to use any version of FMOD without problems. (Keyword: *should* - I don't trust that statement completely, myself)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I've decided something different:

I added a file called 'fmod_version.txt' to the 'specs' directory. Currently it says 4.26 + 4.28. If needed this file should be updated. That way the source always comes with the necessary information.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Actually, anything from 4.22 to 4.28 will work for compiling and running. I build against 4.28 but ship with 4.26, because the last time I checked, 4.28 had stereo issues with ZDoom. (FMOD's fault or mine, I'm not sure. I've not checked too thoroughly because 4.26 is fine and still being updated.) The advantage to building with 4.28 is that somebody else can dump a 4.28 fmodex.dll in the directory and ZDoom will still work with it.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”