ZHeXen: V 1.0 RELEASED!!! Contributions?

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drake Raider

Re: ZHeXen: V.6a NOW OUT! Mappers Needed more than ever.

Post by Drake Raider »

Any progress on the Exorcist weapons yet?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

#1, the Sickle of Judgement, is finished. I used NeoWorm's H2 rips, lightened and with blue designs instead of yellow. I put together the animation, and I'm told it looks pretty nice. :)

It has a normal swing, about as fast as the Cleric's mace, and a powerful downswing as AltFire. To simulate the hook, each blow will pull you toward your target (unless it's a wall), and the downswing actually tugs you off the ground just a bit. That was fun to do.

#2 is currently known only as the Flare Scepter. I haven't really worked on this one yet.

#3, the Chill Talon, is almost done. This fires freezing missiles with a cool tendril-like explosion. The AltFire will grab onto a foe at close range and send cold energy into them, although it can also break those annoying frozen corpses. (Similar to a chainsaw-type attack.)

#4 is going to be sun-based, but I decided against using the already overused, though nice, Lightbringer rip. I'll put together my own sprites for it. I have called it the sacred mace, Perihelion. (Literally, the point in a a planet's orbit where it is nearest to the sun.)

The Exorcist himself I've taken to calling Salvian. I have some ideas how to make his player sprites as well, but that's going to take quite a bit of work.

I also had an idea to replace the Cleric's weapon spawn spots with special scripted actors. Using LoadACS for a global script, it would check whether there was a Cleric and/or Exorcist in the map, and spawn one or both weapons accordingly. This way the add-on would be multiplayer friendly, and the good fellow would be usable in original maps without breaking the Cleric's stuff.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

*Falls over*

I'm confused.

Did you two join up half-way through?
Or did my bumps kinda make you two think about cooperating?
I dunno, I haven't been actively reading posts.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

I initiated his project, which took a life of it's own after that.

NerualStunner, good naming. I just called him "Exorcist". This might actually give him more character (i.e. John 117 instead of Chief/Spartan). Thanks!
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Sorry. I'll upload 6b pretty soon. I have been preoccupied. However, the other project takes precedence, so the following version will be delayed BUT NOT ABANDONED OR DEAD.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I've been busy too, (besides not feeling very inspired,) and as such haven't gotten much more done for HH or the Exorcist. Hopefully I'll have an update soon.

I do have another update though, on Salvian's Flechette: He throws it, it doesn't bounce but explodes on impact. I decided not to make it fire-based, as his #2 weapon will be fiery. Instead, it turns into a fountan that shoots off a lot of electrical sparks for a few seconds.

Very nice looking. :)
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Fascinating.

Still working, but work is slow.

I'm a terrible hexen mapper. Much better w/ doom. Midevil themes, though I consider them much cooler, are much harder for me to build.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I know the feeling. The closest I've got really is a few vanilla Heretic maps that aren't very good. Maybe not horrible as far as first maps go, but even I can see the faults in them.

I know of a few others who make hexen maps, but I only know because they're working on their own projects. :(

... I wonder if I could put together a passable smallish village map...
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Well, I do need a village for exorcism, for a prior hub to the existing one, but one of my main problems is scripting the storyline, remember I wanted exorcism to have a dynamic plot, rather then a backstory. Also, midevil stuff stumps me. Remember GZBlackmarsh?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I just put up a minor patch for HH. I've had a lot of other stuff to deal with recently (like trying not to fall off a ladder), so I'm afraid there hasn't been much other progress. A lot of the trouble is with adding more detail to Perihelion, without ruining what "realism" the sprites have.

I did have a nice new idea for it: The Mana usage is relatively low, unless you hold the fire button and build up power. The longer you charge it, the more devastating the resulting shot will be. I don't know though whether to automatically fire when it charges to maximum, (which could be a pain,) or let a player hold the charge indefinitely (which would of course prevent them from using other attacks). Thoughts?
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

About adding detail to the sprites, I always liked the original sprites better then any hi-res stuff, so keep it simple. Around the H1 detail level. Raven, unlike Bungie, had good sprite artists around the 1990s. Did you ever play Marathon? They had a good style with the Zeus Pistol. It would finish charging at the third second, but you could hold the fully charged attack virtually as long as you wanted, though the gun would explode after a minute or so, splattering you. A similar effect would be good.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Okay, cool. I figure after about 4 times the time required to fully charge, it will auto release. This adds just a bit of "hurry" to it, so you're not just walking around with a full charge and blasting everything without effort.

I think the AltFire will be something like a constant wide-angle light beam, as Davidos mentioned, not quite like Bloodscourge's flamethrower. (It has quite low damage to individual targets while spread out, it would obviously be more effective against single enemies at close range.)

I didn't actually plan on anything above the classic style 1x (320x200) sprites. (2x sprites, for instance, look rather awful in 3x scale.) What I meant by detail: At present it's essentially solid gold, it needs some silvery parts, gems, runes, and the like, to spiffy it up a bit. It also probably needs a skull design somewhere, to match the theme of the other ultimates. ;)
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Not a bad idea.
My maps are coming along slowly.

EDIT: Update:

I finished v .6b. Will upload on Monday.

I also hope to add new screenshots.

EDIT EDIT :) :
I am going to upload screenshots. Will also upload monday.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Okeday. Here we are:

Version 0.6b

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vmwdm25gy ... 0v0.6b.zip

Version 0.6b

Fixes: Further fixed the Weapons code (still no Expansion Pack Compatability, Just don't use it until
that is fixed. Will probably have to wait until neuralstunner is done with exorcist redeux.) Updated to latest version of HH, and adjusted difficulty.

Increased weapon/monster balance. Monsters are even tougher, but are somewhat less common.

Redid Maps (Somewhat, the originals were too good to throw away...)
Guardian of Ice
Guardian of Fire
Guardian of Steel
Bright Crucible
Shadow Wood (Non-boss)

Enjoy!

EDIT: New Screenshots:
Episode 2 end boss:
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/

Quietus fury:
http://img705.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/

Ah, sweet Retrebution!
http://img697.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/

Up with sword, down with Slash!
http://img717.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/

The bells, they deafen me.
http://img101.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/

Ice doesn't need a guardian, does it?
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00313.png/

Episode 3 miniboss fight.
http://img715.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... 00314.png/
Drake Raider

Re: ZHeXen: V.6b NOW OUT! Mappers Needed more than ever.

Post by Drake Raider »

I'm sorry, I noticed one bug after uploading. The 2nd & 3rd weapons will not be added to your inventory after assembling, do to a code conversion mistake. I have fixed the bug for the next version. Until then, use "Give @Weap#", where @ is the class letter, and # is the weapon name followed by "1". Sorry.

EDIT:

Finished v 0.8, will release later this week.

NeuralStunner, any news on the exorcist weaponry?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”