[Request] Reversed cultist sounds

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

[Request] Reversed cultist sounds

Post by Gez »

The "cultist" monster comes with sounds from Blood that are very distinctive and don't fit well in the ambiance of a game such as Heretic or Hexen. If anybody with sound software could take the six OGG from the attached file and reverse them, maybe slow them a bit and adjust the pitch to make them sound more at home with the sounds of the Disciples of D'Sparil or the Dark Bishops, I would be grateful.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Request] Reversed cultist sounds

Post by NeuralStunner »

I'll have a go at it, then. :)

How are these?

... I have to admit, about half of them sound comical now. I could swear DSCULSI1 now sounds like "Oh?! Snuggle!" :laff:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Thanks.
NeuralStunner wrote:... I have to admit, about half of them sound comical now.
Yeah, they evidently need further adjustment. I think if they were slowed down a bit as well, making them less excited-sounding and lower-pitched at the same time, it could be better.

But that's where good sound editing software is needed. With something like the Windows XP sndrecorder, you can only halve or double the speed, which does not result in anything good. Further, you can't adjust pitch independently of speed.

Still, it's a good start. At least they don't seem to say "Yellow shit throw!" anymore!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, I don't think this is any better. :?

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... sitluc.zip
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Honestly, you'd probably be better off just throwing out the sounds and starting over again. The Blood cultist screams are of a very distinct nature with frenzied pitches and specific inflections... they really, really do not lend themselves well to reversal because of this, and I don't think lowering the pitch or applying filters to the audio will do much to help it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:tsitluc.zip
Heh. :)

DSCULSI4 is not bad, actually. Just for some sort of big beefy demon, not for a human(oid).
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Gez wrote:At least they don't seem to say "Yellow shit throw!" anymore!
As opposed to the green kind the bishops sling around? Or how about "modern oxen fear books!"
Zero X. Diamond wrote:Honestly, you'd probably be better off just throwing out the sounds and starting over again. The Blood cultist screams are of a very distinct nature with frenzied pitches and specific inflections... they really, really do not lend themselves well to reversal because of this, and I don't think lowering the pitch or applying filters to the audio will do much to help it.
Yeah... I don't if we can do much more with them, and still have them sound sentient. (As little as they seem to now... "Ooooooooooohhh? Hey shorty.")

Then again, you'd probably be a better candidate. (Yes, I've listened to your D'Sparil-waxes-typical-taunting-villain recording. Nice. ;) )
Nash

Post by Nash »

I probably went overboard with the editing. Not sure if you'd be interested so I only did three sounds.

http://www.zshare.net/download/71686952230a0a2d/
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

They sound pretty creepy - like an undead cultist or a ghost cultist or something.
Gez

Post by Gez »

ZShare is uncooperative to say the least. It made me wait 50 seconds five times in a row, and every time the "click here to start download" link just sends me back to the timer. :|
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez

Post by Gez »

Hmm. Interesting, but yes, that's a bit overboard. The latter half of DSCULSI4 might be usable, but the other two have a sort of jerky staccato effect and aren't even recognizable as voices anymore. Still, thanks.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Gez wrote:At least they don't seem to say "Yellow shit throw!" anymore!
As opposed to the green kind the bishops sling around? Or how about "modern oxen fear books!"
I do have to point out that while it might sound a bit silly if you're listening for English words, the cultist language in Blood is actually a real(ish) language. The words are derived from Latin and Sanskrit and there are actually both formal and casual forms of speech while using it. It's probably my favorite fictional language, incomplete as it may be. The more you know!
NeuralStunner wrote:Then again, you'd probably be a better candidate. (Yes, I've listened to your D'Sparil-waxes-typical-taunting-villain recording. Nice. ;) )
Aw shucks, you're making me blush...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Not to be a dick, but why don't you download Goldwave, and do it yourself? It's an essential tool for any modder really.

Return to “Requests”