[Hexen] Realistic Weapons Mod (WIP)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PouncingAnt

[Hexen] Realistic Weapons Mod (WIP)

Post by PouncingAnt »

Hello all!

I thought I'd share my new mod with everyone.
Spoiler: idea
In 7 (or 8) words: If Doom can do it so can Hexen (Goddammit)!

Spoiler: features
In short, the mod adds a number of weapons to the game, which are mostly scavenged from fallen enemies. Each player class has various bonuses to their associated weapons. The weapons have been extensively balanced for moderate realism and good playability.
Spoiler: Todo...
I'm going to be frank. I want help. Visually, I've done my best, but I'm not satisfied. I want this to be a very pretty mod. Read the following if you're interested in taking up the gauntlet:
Spoiler: Help
Lastly, this mod is not done, so I don't want anyone shoving this in front of the Skullstuff staff yet.

and here is the download link:

http://brit.of.bridport.googlepages.com/hexenmods

...its at the bottom of the page

EDIT: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" <- sorry for the lack of screenies people. About 3 posts down is a link for you :(
Last edited by PouncingAnt on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davidos

Re: [Hexen] Realistic Weapons Mod (WIP)

Post by Davidos »

Christ, I never really thought of it this way...
... or wait... maybe I did.

.... but still this sounds like a badass idea O.o;

Kinda like... Dark Messiah, right?
Well maybe not but it sounds like the general idea... for some reason.

Eitherway, anyone going 'ROFLHURDURRR NO SCREENSHOTS *report*' click the bleedin' link to the homepage it has a zip file with data in it.

Unfortunately there's not alot in there yet, apart from some of the weapons and a basic block system.
Did you make those weapon sprites yourself? They look quite nice really. The shield is a little underdetailed but surely it'll look better.

One thing that bothers me though is that the weapon scripts appear to work (Dropping weapons that is), but they are actually destroyed, not dropped. and if you drop something when holding your fists you can spawn unlimited shields. Too bad weapon-swap isn't implemented yet.

It's funny though, I also tried to combine other mods with the Diabolic mod, and if you intend to do so I'd probably...
... explode into a million little balls of excitement and trample the forums to death like a hyper-active schoolgirl.
... or something else I just read.
Last edited by Davidos on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Davidos wrote:...
Eitherway, anyone going 'ROFLHURDURRR NO SCREENSHOTS' click the bleedin' link to the homepage it has a zip file with data in it.
.. Which is slightly funny, considering that the same thread in Skulltag contained pictures.

But hey, if people want to see the screenshots, just head there. :P
Last edited by Ryan Cordell on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Ryan Cordell wrote:the same thread

Good show, Technically I'd still suggest downloading the mod to see it to check out how the controls work, but as it's in 'pre-alpha', as I 'd like to coin it right now even when it's not, there's not alot to see yet.
PouncingAnt

Post by PouncingAnt »

Hmm. I'll be the judge of whats pre-alpha or not.

Thanks for highlighting the infinate shields bug. Will look into it.

"Unfortunately there's not alot in there yet, apart from some of the weapons and a basic block system."

I feel unfair to single you out, but this is a weapons mod... it even has weapons mod in the title. And all of the features I've stated are actually in the mod.

as for dropping the weapons not working, and instead destroying them... thats a bug. You need to be in a relatively open space so that it can spawn in front of you.

About the screenshots, I tried (albeit not very hard) to upload pics here, and the board wouldn't let me... Something about an attachment limit :?:

Apart from a (increasing) number of bugs, the coding is more or less done. My personal disatisfaction with this mod is my inability at graphics.

As for combining mods with Diabolic.. I've certainly thought of a merger between this and Diabolic.. It would require a lot of effort, but is doable.. Plus it would mean I could get away with dropping the realism and having frost and fire weapons as well as poison :wink:
However... That is pending the completion of this mod. Which means sprites. Which means delays.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

..Why does Hexen need realistic weapons? D:
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Why does DOOM need one? :p
PouncingAnt

Post by PouncingAnt »

To echo XutaWoo's sentiment, this is not a case of necessity. I wanted to make one.

Indeed, I doubt very much that the author of the realistic weapons mod for DOOM was too bothered about the number/quality of weapons in DOOM. I love the Hexen weapons, they're great (and much prettier!), but the thought of having a realistic medieval weapons system in the DOOM engine interested me.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Well, in fact, you do appear to be singling me out.

I think weapon mods mean more than just sprites and functions

The weapons don't even do damage on my end, and the shield breaks apart after one hit.
It just isn't playable at all. The only thing it has is the basic punch and that does so little damage that... well, you can fill that one in for yourself.

So that's why I coined it, for myself, as a pre-alpha. You (make it) sound incredibly hostile.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Davidos wrote:Well, in fact, you do appear to be singling me out.

The weapons don't even do damage on my end, and the shield breaks apart after one hit.
It just isn't playable at all. The only thing it has is the basic punch and that does so little damage that... well, you can fill that one in for yourself.

So that's why I coined it, for myself, as a pre-alpha. You (make it) sound incredibly hostile.
The only weapon I've seen to not do damage is the bow, which may be a glitch (though I was not playing as the archer). All the other weapons are just as reliable as original Hexen's, and the mechanics of weapons that break are quite a refresher from Hexen's limited arsenal.
printz

Post by printz »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:..Why does Hexen need realistic weapons? D:
What?

In any case, this should make an interesting concept, and it could also work for Doom, where the player is not a magician like in Heretic, but under some situations may only stumble upon sticks and stones, especially in medieval levels.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

wildweasel wrote:The only weapon I've seen to not do damage is...

They all do damage but it's so minimal that it 'd take 50 hits to actually kill something.
Eitherway the shields seem to work now that I haven't pressed 'drop' before picking up a shield... what could that mean?

Edit:
Wow, halfway through like, hub 2 the enemies finally spawned weapons... -.-; No wonder my 'spawned sword' did no damage...
Damn, the game was hard even on ultra easy as the fists do minimal of the minimal of a fraction of the minimal damage of the original fist...

Which leaves about 0.0003 damage per hit.

And you don't start with a weapon.

Sorry but can ya see why I was frustrated to find my weapons alot later in the game than I was supposed to?

Edit 2:

And even them sometimes weapons still don't do damage so don't call me a liar O.o
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I was having no problem offing Ettins and Centaurs with a club I picked up in the first level. The Serpents posed a bit more of a problem, until I found a good spear.
PouncingAnt

Post by PouncingAnt »

Davidos wrote:Well, in fact, you do appear to be singling me out.

Well, I didnt say I wasn't going to single you out, I said I felt guilty. This is because it was a point that needed to be addressed so people coming onto this topic don't get confused. Unfortunately this meant ruffling a few feathers.

As a note: you cannot spawn weapons by summoning them, they will be pants [you'd need to summon the weapon spawners for this.. eg: "swordspawn"]. Equally, shields spawned through the bug, funnily enough are bugs, and actually break easily because it is produced under the wrong conditions.

This mod IS more than just about weapons, its about tactics: The spear gives you greater range, but is a little cumbersome, for instance.
Spoiler: punching
Finally, you told me about a bug (and a few more possible ones), which I'm actually kind of grateful for, because telling explicitly about a bug and when it occurs helps me to make the mod better. However, you shouldn't classify other people's work for them. Its like reading someone's poem and giving them a mark out of 10. Which is NOT useful, it is frustrating.

Its a shame it didn't seem to work for you, and that its pissing you off, but I need details, lots of them, to fix anything.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

I guess it just acted wonky when I started the game the first time, using the same save later on.

But for some odd reason everything is working properly now.

Even Bows work

But sometimes, for no reason (possibly throwing and picking up too many times to get the right weapon out of a stack of other weapons) they'll stop doing damage.

I found a few (rather rare) cases in which where I dropped a heavily worn weapon and picked up a new one, quickly dropping THIS one again to the old one 'd make it reset it's stats again. The same works the other way around in which a new weapon 'll break after just a few hits.

It's hard to figure out which weapon is more usefull though as you only see info once you pick it up, and when you drop it again the info is actually removed. See, I tried picking up other weapons to see what weapon'd be the best choice under certain conditions, but to my surprise, attempting to pick one up again it was just named 'Sword/Club/whatever' and it didn't state a title like 'Dulled sword of toxicity' or whatever it was. It'd be more usefuill, I think, if the title given on pickup was also stored in the hud, but using shorter versions (Sword (T/D+/DULL)) or something, just saying.

Whelp... that's about all I can remember, it's been a... rather fragged up day today.

Edit:

Not true, just got another idea.

What about the hands/fists 's alt attack be able to disarm certain types of enemies or atleast steal equipment? Kinda like Thief ya know? Just steal a knife and stab him down.
Alot better than starting with fists only right? XD

Return to “Gameplay Mods”