[Not a bug] server problems in 47i

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
SargeBaldy

server problems in 47i

Post by SargeBaldy »

we've been having some network problems with 47i. namely, only a limited few of us have managed to get a server started. it either seems to freeze or in my case tells me "BindToPort: EADDRINUSE". this happens to me with both -netmode 0 and -netmode 1. any idea what the problem is?
Biff

Post by Biff »

I haven't seen that specific error, but it sounds like some process is using a needed network resource such as a port. For example, if I have Microsoft Netmeeting running, I cannot start zdoom, although in that case I think it's a graphics conflict, not a network conflict.

Try completely rebooting your computer and don't start other applications before trying to host. You may need to start ICQ or whatever you use to coordinate with friends, but that's never been a problem.

If you are behind a router or firewall, you'll need to forward port 5029 to your host machine so the client's packets will reach your machine, but again this doesn't seem to be your specific problem with that error message. But, the host can seem to freeze if clients cannot join, sometimes I don't see the complete messages about waiting for other players, but when they join the game does start. If someone trying to host needs to forward port 5029 to their machine and has not done so, zdoom will just sit and appear frozen.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

That error indicates that another program has already bound itself to the port ZDoom wants to use (5029). You can verify this by opening a command prompt window and using the command "netstat -a". Look for a local address ending with :5029 in the list it displays.

You can also instruct ZDoom to bind to a different port with the -port parameter:

Code: Select all

zdoom -host -port 16754
You will need to instruct the other machines to connect to this port instead of the normal one:

Code: Select all

zdoom -join flimdrang:16754
Substitute 16754 with any random number above 1024 you feel like.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Flimdrang?
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

randy wrote:That error indicates that another program has already bound itself to the port ZDoom wants to use (5029). You can verify this by opening a command prompt window and using the command "netstat -a". Look for a local address ending with :5029 in the list it displays.
hm, nothing ends in 5029, so i guess it's something else? but changing the port number seemed to get rid of that crash at least.
Biff

Post by Biff »

It's possible that, if you rebooted since that last time, whatever application had that port tied up is no longer active. I've found spyware operating on my computer but not on that port yet. Running Kazaa can really interfere with other network stuff.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Make a point of regularly running Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware with the latest build and reference file. The way things are going, it should probably be part of your regular maintenance routine, right along with (or probably before) scandisk and defrag.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

i don't run anything with spyware, so i doubt that's the problem. anyway the problem remains with the regular port, although -netstat a gives me no indication it's in use by anything.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Thats what I thought, too. Then I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran it.

Lots of dataminers in cookies.

Just like Ultraviolet mentioned, it is now part of my regular maintenance, at least once a week. Without fail, I usually have 20 to 30 such cookies tracking my every move on the internet.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

"Address in use" can also happen if the socket's options do not have the flag SO_REUSEADDR, so there is a minute or so to wait until the kernel cleans the socket.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”