[BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

[BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Post by wildweasel »

(sadly the download link died and I don't feel like reuploading it since it was not finished anywhere near my satisfaction.)

I promised it'd be out by year end. And while I haven't really done much to it over the past few months since the last trailer was uploaded to Youtube (that's below, for those that want to watch it again), I'm putting up the first public WIP of Agent Hernandez. Please have a look, leave notes and bug reports here, any feedback you might have, etc. It should be stressed that this is NOT FINISHED and there WILL BE CHANGES.

This REQUIRES a ZDoom or GZDoom SVN to run! It WILL NOT work in Skulltag or ZDoom 2.3.1!

Known Issues and Things That Will Be Changed
  • The Leadspitter's shell casings will eventually be differently colored to emphasize that they can do (mild) damage.
  • Cortes and Molinero presently do not have their own player sprites, so they look like Doomguys at the moment.
  • The Credits listing may be missing a few things.
  • The Shotput Grenade Launcher really, really sucks (ammo's broken, too much damage, too easy to kill yourself with) so it's going to be replaced, using the same graphics, as this mod's superweapon: a high powered Mass Driver. Remember The Stranger's anti-tank rifle? Kind of like that...but more awesome. I hope.
  • The "secret" classes weapon, the dual revolvers, looks like Cortes' derringer when tossed. That'll be changed at some point.
  • I might add more zombie sounds.
  • The rest of Doom's basic monsters may end up getting replaced with new ones. I will try not to go overboard on the randomization, however, as I've got a ton of monsters in here already.
  • The sniper rifle will be getting a few changes - it will eventually no longer be bolt-action, and the sniper crosshair will be fixed so it actually works in software mode.
The Trailers

Orangewaggs

Re: [WIP!] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Post by Orangewaggs »

You made my Day! :mrgreen:
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

Awesome, as i excepted.
i have nothing to say about it, yes its a very awsome mod :D
Maybe a very small little tiny thing : Enemies (zombieman) drop boxes of rifle ammo, i think it will be better if they drop assault rifle clip.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Pisstepank wrote:Awesome, as i excepted.
i have nothing to say about it, yes its a very awsome mod :D
Maybe a very small little tiny thing : Enemies (zombieman) drop boxes of rifle ammo, i think it will be better if they drop assault rifle clip.
Um...are you suggesting a graphics change for the assault rifle ammo? I'm not sure what you're asking.
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

he might be suggesting to change the Rifle Box into a Clip similar to the Assault rifle in Diaz but that's the way I interpret it...
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I just LOVE the Diaz weapons for their realism, and the fact that you are making a new Diaz mod is awesome news! :mrgreen:
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!

Downloading now. Will playtest the shit out of this. I needed a good mod, thanks ww, your stuff is always awesome.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Sweet! It's finally out!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

A few of nitpicks from playing this for a bit:
  • The shotgun's shell casings eject from the right despite the fact that the ejection port is on the left.
  • Diaz and Hernandez don't have crouching animations.
  • There doesn't seem to be a weapon bound to the 7 key.
  • The grenade launcher doesn't have a rising or lowering animation. I know you're changing the weapon so this isn't a very big deal.
Good fun and it feels pretty polished so far. :D
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Well, I can't say I was expecting this! Guess I was too busy desperately feeding my resource ripping addiction to hear anything about this! :laff:

But yeah, I've been a big fan of your stuff for a couple years now ever since one of my buddies turned me on to Stranger and Diaz (and I personally loved Axis and Abaddon as both a Wolfenstein 3D fan and a history buff). It's great to finally be able to be there right as one came fresh off the presses. Just got done playing through and checking out all the new content and I've got to say that once again it's pretty great. However, I did see some room for improvement; it is to be expected with a WIP after all. Here's my two cents on the matter:
  • While the Blake Stone scientist looks better and more fitting here than he ever has before, the other Blake Stone based enemies stick out like sore thumbs, particularly the suit guy and the bearded machine gunner. Looks like the issue is either contrast or light source related (possibly both), but I'm sure you could fix this pretty easily in Photoshop or the like.
  • Some of the new death sounds were... goofy, I guess. I was particularly distracted by the more hissing/gurgling type sounds. Going through the files, the AVZ, STZ, and WKZDTH sounds are the ones that were really distracting me. Some of them don't even sound like something dying IMO.
  • While there's a ton of variety in the land based enemies, there are only three types of flying enemy in here. Granted, the jetpack zombie is one of my favorites, but you could probably stand to throw in two or three more kinds of flying enemy. Maybe some robot drones or something, I dunno.
  • Also missing were projectile weapons. The original Diaz had five; the sequel has only one. I felt something of a lack of variety with everything being hitscan based. The same could be said of the enemies, but I do like what's there already and do see that there's already a lot going on there.
  • The blood on the female zombie's face disappears when she fires.
  • The scientist loses his distinct new look when he explodes, reverting to a clean white labcoat.
  • The Blake Stone based enemies seem to have offcentered firing frames; the animations have them bobbing back and forth when they fire any direction but straight. They could also use some different angled firing frames if possible; as they are, it doesn't really look like they're firing.
Apart from that though, I really enjoy what you've got going on here. The new melee system works out great, I really enjoy the new characters (Molinero is my favorite) and can't wait to see what the last two end up looking like, and the way that enemies are randomized is very impressive. And what's more, everything fits together very well (barring the few things I pointed out in my two cents) and you have a definite sense of direction with where you're taking things here. You've got a clear theme going on and that's something that can't always be said of even games by professional developers (I'm looking at you, Quake). Fix a couple of things here and there and this'll be one of your greatest yet; hell, it's already excellent as it stands! Oh, and also,
Spoiler:
And hey, if you need anything--rips, voice acting, whatever--I'd be glad to help. And that goes for now or any time in the future.
Nuclear_Winter

Post by Nuclear_Winter »

Looks AWESOME.

One issue though. Im getting this error while trying to run Zdoom 2.3.1

Script error, "mkww-ah.wad:MAPINFO" line 1:
gameinfo: Unknown top level keyword
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Snarboo wrote:
  • Diaz and Hernandez don't have crouching animations.
It's going to be like that for a long long time. I still have to do Molinero and Cortes' sprites. :P

For anybody interested, here's my concept for both! :P
Cortes! :D

Molinero! D:<
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Nuclear_Winter wrote:Looks AWESOME.

One issue though. Im getting this error while trying to run Zdoom 2.3.1

Script error, "mkww-ah.wad:MAPINFO" line 1:
gameinfo: Unknown top level keyword
You will want an SVN build of ZDoom. My mods always seem to push the envelope in terms of features that aren't available in the last "official" build.
While there's a ton of variety in the land based enemies, there are only three types of flying enemy in here. Granted, the jetpack zombie is one of my favorites, but you could probably stand to throw in two or three more kinds of flying enemy. Maybe some robot drones or something, I dunno.
Will be adding more in the future. Thinking perhaps the Perscan drones from the original Extreme Measures are due for a comeback...
Also missing were projectile weapons. The original Diaz had five; the sequel has only one. I felt something of a lack of variety with everything being hitscan based. The same could be said of the enemies, but I do like what's there already and do see that there's already a lot going on there.
Considering that the weapon loadout is nowhere near as extensive thus far compared to Diaz, I think I've got tons of room to expand it with more projectiles. Thing is, though, I don't want to make them feel the same...that'll be the tricky part.
Some of the new death sounds were... goofy, I guess. I was particularly distracted by the more hissing/gurgling type sounds. Going through the files, the AVZ, STZ, and WKZDTH sounds are the ones that were really distracting me. Some of them don't even sound like something dying IMO.
Ah, Vosvoy's zombie sounds...well, the one MP3 Vosvoy uploaded to Freesound was just a bunch of zombie sounds played back to back. I'd love to have some proper death sounds for those varieties of zombie, but it's looking like I couldn't justify doing that without just replacing the entire sound sets for them. Also, I'm not using a unique sound set for the female zombies, which is something I aim to correct.
# The shotgun's shell casings eject from the right despite the fact that the ejection port is on the left.
# Diaz and Hernandez don't have crouching animations.
# There doesn't seem to be a weapon bound to the 7 key.
I'll be fixing the shotgun momentarily. Crouching animations would be putting an immense strain on poor Marty (they weren't in Diaz either) so I'm considering them a non-priority for the moment. As for Weapon 7? Well, the weapon loadout isn't even close to final. Who knows what'll end up in there?
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Marty Kirra wrote:Image
Molinero! D:<
He once starred in an FPS just to see what it'd feel like.

EDIT:
wildweasel wrote:Will be adding more in the future. Thinking perhaps the Perscan drones from the original Extreme Measures are due for a comeback...
I think there's also some fresh content in my resource thread in terms of flying type monsters... if there's not, there definitely will be.
wildweasel wrote:Ah, Vosvoy's zombie sounds...well, the one MP3 Vosvoy uploaded to Freesound was just a bunch of zombie sounds played back to back. I'd love to have some proper death sounds for those varieties of zombie, but it's looking like I couldn't justify doing that without just replacing the entire sound sets for them. Also, I'm not using a unique sound set for the female zombies, which is something I aim to correct.
You know, I'm a professional actor... maybe I could be of some assistance? I love doing voice acting and sound editing, and this is definitely something I'd like to help out with.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

wildweasel wrote:Crouching animations would be putting an immense strain on poor Marty (they weren't in Diaz either) so I'm considering them a non-priority for the moment.
Fair enough, especially given the way crouching animations are implemented in G/ZDoom.

I didn't realize that the arsenal wasn't complete. I know you're changing the current grenade launcher to something else, but are you still going to include a grenade type weapon like in Diaz? Also am I the only person that thinks Molinero's concept looks like Solid Snake from MGS4? :p

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”