A handful of texture edits

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
NiGHTMARE

Re: A handful of texture edits

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Here's another set:

EDIT: An improved TEKGREN version of COMPTALL (the previous one had incorrect spacing between the rivets), plus TEKGREN versions of COMPTILE and COMPWERD:

EDIT 2: Some COMPSTA variants:

EDIT 3: Some GRAY computer textures:

Some GRAY TEKGREN variants:

EDIT 4: Some PLANET1 variants:

Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Those look superb. I particularly like the GRAY ones. Very nice. :)

One thing I noticed that you might want to consider addressing: the positioning of some of the "techy bits" (comp screen, panels etc) on both of your COMPTALL variants are slightly different to what they are on the original COMPTALL. It's not much - only a pixel or so - but it does mean, in some circumstances, that they can't be used as direct replacements.

Oh, and there is a bit of obvious cloning on the TEKGREN COMPSTA variants.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Enjay wrote:One thing I noticed that you might want to consider addressing: the positioning of some of the "techy bits" (comp screen, panels etc) on both of your COMPTALL variants are slightly different to what they are on the original COMPTALL. It's not much - only a pixel or so - but it does mean, in some circumstances, that they can't be used as direct replacements.
That's generally intentional, and is mainly due to issues to do with borders. COMPSPAN has its border on the left and bottom, TEKGREN has its border on the right and top, and GRAY has a 2 pixel border.

However, there were a few errors, which I have now fixed - see the update TEKGREN and GRAY COMPTALL variants in my previous post :).

Oh, and there is a bit of obvious cloning on the TEKGREN COMPSTA variants.
I never did manage to make a good looking non-obvious cloned version of the base texture for that - and most of the texture work I've done in the past few years involving TEKGREN has been using complete replacements for it (e.g. KDIZD). If you know of any other plain 128x128 (or even 64x128) version of TEKGREN, please let me know!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Recoloured GRAY textures:
Spoiler:
Recoloured TEKGREN textures:
Spoiler:
daimon

Post by daimon »

fapfapfapfapcool stuff bro
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Some excellent textures there. I like the dark grays and the gray TEKGRENs.

And now for something completely different:
Spoiler:
Vader

Post by Vader »

Heh, very nice idea Enjay :)

Also a lot of nice textures in this thread... I particularly like the COMPTALL variants!
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Enjay wrote:Image
Clever... you know if they could be made a little more demonic, maybe a few exposed sinews or a SKIN bacground, it'd blow the DN3D sinister prayer fx out of the water, given good enough voice artistry. This is perfect for HELL levels, especially creepy anterooms.

"You fail, soldier boy" .... "let your buddies die" ... "too weak for strength of the here" ... "God sent you at Satan's pleasure" ... "Ha ha ha haaaaaa...."

Or even on the walls of a cubic room (say with wriggling skin floor) just before the real hell:

"GREETINGS MORTAL. ARE YOU READY TO DIE? MY SERVANTS CAN SMELL YOUR BLOOD!"

Especially if each mouth speaks in turn or at random and they all converge at the end and shout "BLOOD" in unison.

Motherf**king shit on a motherf**king plane, I WILL HAVE to use that somewhere, it's just too good an idea to waste :)

Or even a maze of them, or a crate maze of them, or an entire roomfull of walls of terror...
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

A few SUPPORT3 is it? edits wouldn't be bad(the metal support) 8 pixel horizontal and Vertical, 16 pixel Hori nad Vert, 32 etc... STARTAN, CRATES, LIQUID, FLAT Recolors,
then i wouldn't mind all the textures posted so far in this thread to be put in a texture wad...(cant do it myself :( )
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:Image
I could swear I'm lipreading it as "boo stop... boo stop..."
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's a great concept, but you have to make sure it doesn't look too silly. Prey attempted it with its trademarked "vagina doors" - it just looked silly, because not only was it already established as a "door", it also had two lights above it that could be understood as "eyes", making it just plain goofy. The XBox game Breakdown attempted something similar during a hallucination sequence, except with bloodstains instead of physical walls, and I thought that was a bit better in presentation.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Boo-yah?
Booty-up?

Heh, could be any of them really.

It's not a particularly malevolent looking mouth either, which is a shame. However, In the game it came from, it was a magic mouth on the walls in some of the rooms of "Temple Darkmoon" (the location of the game) which was a pretty evil place. Usually the mouths gave you clues about puzzles that you had to solve and they just ran through that animation as text appeared on screen.

The smaller open/closed mouth was part of a puzzle. You had to "feed" them with appropriate items in answer to not too cryptic clues. When fed, they closed. When they were all closed, you could progress to the next area.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:The smaller open/closed mouth was part of a puzzle. You had to "feed" them with appropriate items in answer to not too cryptic clues. When fed, they closed. When they were all closed, you could progress to the next area.
Reminds me of the stone Kahpa face in Shadowcaster, which had to be fed bugs via the Caun's summon spell.

Return to “Resources”