Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Amuscaria

Re: Demon Eclipse (WIP) - New "Hellfire Gem" Weapon (p. 150)

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm keeping the pistol, for the most part, except for 2 of the frames. However, i'm going to replace all the new hands I made for it. They're pretty crappy looking. :(. My heighest priority is for the SSG. It was enlarged after seeing that it was too small when I first made it simply by scaling all the sprites up. It's far too large now, and looks like crap either way. I'm going to use a more realistic reload animation for it. The BFG and Plasma gun is also rather outdated looking. Especially since now that the BFG has been used for ST's BFG 10k. I'd rather have my own gun for DE. :) I also have a better more ergonomic design for the shotgun, which I will make as well. Rocket launcher seems ok, but i might as well replace it anyway. Auto-shotgun will be completely redesigned.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Eriance wrote:I'm keeping the pistol
Awesome, that's a great design.
My heighest priority is for the SSG. It was enlarged after seeing that it was too small when I first made it simply by scaling all the sprites up. It's far too large now, and looks like crap either way.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of DE's SSG. I always replaced it with the original again. XD
The BFG and Plasma gun is also rather outdated looking. Especially since now that the BFG has been used for ST's BFG 10k. I'd rather have my own gun for DE. :)
I agree about the BFG, but I liked the Plasma Rifle design.
I also have a better more ergonomic design for the shotgun, which I will make as well. Rocket launcher seems ok, but i might as well replace it anyway.
Those were the two best designs in Ep1, in my opinion. /me saves rocket launcher for use as something else. :P
Auto-shotgun will be completely redesigned.
I thought the color was a little odd, but the design overall was great.

Glad you're keeping the pistol, though. I started putting it on a marine, for the marine skin pack, and it'd be sad if I'd have to scrap what I've done so far.

Edit: Also, what five guys voted for option 4, on the poll? XD
Last edited by Ghastly on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

:shock: Eriance, I was wondering... How many people come to you with money for spriting work? You are simply amazing all around. Even in the case of ones you find "don't look quite right", you have me beaten already. :)

BTW, I dunno if saw this in your weapon thread in Resources, but it looks like several of NeoWorm's sprite sheets have gotten whacked by his image host. It sucks... I'm glad I saved them myself already.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I've only done sprite work for 1 game, but that was with some friends of mine, so I was never paid for it. The game was canceled however. I've been approached twice before, and I turned both groups down because I know they wouldn't be able deliver what they wanted to do (making their own megaman game = "NO U!" from Capcom). Its unlikely I'll even accept an offer for doing sprites specifically for anything other than my own projects, since it's just something I do for fun. It's time consuming, so it's only worthwhile when I'm actually enjoying it as a stress-reliever.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

And let's not forget the concept art commisions. :P
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Some neat stuff all around!!!!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

BTW, can anyone help me find out why the large rounded red room in Map10 lags so much? It's almost unplayable. it only has a few 3D floors, but causes tremendous lag for some reason when looking at certain directions. There are areas in DE that have a lot more 3D floors than that (Map08's grey building in the blue-key room) but no real lag.
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

any other outstanding features in that room maybe....?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I just played map10 through entirely, in the latest beta, and didn't run into any lag, and I looked extensively around every room following that description.

By the way, noticed that if you run out of ammo for the powered-up gargoyle wand, then you keep firing normal shots and can't stop.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:By the way, noticed that if you run out of ammo for the powered-up gargoyle wand, then you keep firing normal shots and can't stop.
Already fixed. I left out a "goto Ready" at the powered-up mode. :)
zdude

Post by zdude »

Eriance wrote:BTW, can anyone help me find out why the large rounded red room in Map10 lags so much? It's almost unplayable. it only has a few 3D floors, but causes tremendous lag for some reason when looking at certain directions. There are areas in DE that have a lot more 3D floors than that (Map08's grey building in the blue-key room) but no real lag.
That room does lag horribly for me aswell. I don't really know what might be the cause of it, but I have two theories. You either have a ton of actors in there that cause the lag, or it's just the blood basin. If I am correct, the blood basin is a 3D floor and the way it's rendered might be causing the lag. Don't take my word for it though.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

That's one thing I dont understand. Maybe I messed up one of control flags somewhere within the blood basin's control sector. But the thing is only 1 3D floor, given it's placed within multiple sectors. But the same kind of area is used in Map04, where you have to raise the nukage lavels to swim across to the other side of the broken bridge, but that causes no lag. There are 2 other 3D floors that control the blood-falls to the side, but that's the only difference.

I'm going to see if it's the Line_Horizonal within the verticle column in the middle that is causing the problems, since looking in that direction seems to cause major slowdowns. I dont think it's the number of actors, as there are areas with way more actors than that in DE episode 1 that has no lag.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I just played DEDME101 and DEDME102 in some 10-frag deathmatches with my dad, on a ST-compatible version I edited, and I have some critique:

The maps, themselves, are great. For the cat-and-mouse duels we like and the free-for-all deathmatches that are usually seen, the maps are well detailed, with good (Quake 2- and 3-style) layouts and a decent size. However, the huge amount of health and armor (I counted three sets of blue armor on '02) make it go on forever. It probably works better in large deathmatches, but I think making medikits rarer and reducing the amount of blue armor would work wonders.

Also, we couldn't find any bugs with Map01 or 02. Can't wait 'til we get to Survival on the Ep2 maps, or DM once those DM maps are done. :mrgreen:
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Yeah i have to agree with the blood basen, looking towards the center structure is what causes the tremendous lag for me.
Even looking at the sides and the entrance area still lags a little. Im not really one to know about that stuff so i wish i could
help >< but it does for me too.

I think its amazing that your redoing a good portion of the weapons. Most are absolutely crazy looking in a good way
but somehow you only seem to make them better. I wonder if itll ever stop lol. Keep up the fantastic work.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Ghastly: Fixed. Removed most of the medkits or replaced them with health bonuses or stimpacks. Removed extra blue armors or replaced them with green ones. I generally put more than 1 bonus item or powerful weapon on the mag to prevent someone from hogging the area (i.e. Plasma-rifle hogging). The maps are rather large, as they are meant to cover TDM (16 players) without cluttering spawn points or telefragging each other during spawn.

I've also fixed various bugs and fixed many of the texture problems on all DE's maps as best as I could. I had the tendency to cut textures off randomly, that didn't conform to their natrual borders. This should be fixed in most areas in the DM and SP maps. Also fixed the ancient bug of the powered-up Soul Reaver only using 2 soul ammo instead of 40 to launched it's attack. Soul Reaver's soul balls now foil invulnerability and cannot be reflected. This should make some bosses easier to kill (i.e. Deathknights). The splash damage of the soul balls have been removed, but the powered up soul reaver now fires 6 soul balls instead of just 4. Fixed several other ancient weapon bugs that i never noticed.

@NovaDragon: Use the latest official version of GZdoom. It should fix most if not ALL the lag problems. I used it and the "lag room" in DE-map 10 no longer lags at all. :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”