[r1???-r1964]Zen Dynamics bugs?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Edward-san

[r1???-r1964]Zen Dynamics bugs?

Post by Edward-san »

I searched something similar but no results, so here it is.
Zen Dynamics link

1)Load zendyn_x.wad (with or without zenblack.wad) with drag n drop method, save a game, then exit zdoom. Load the same wad with command line method. You'll see that the savegame changed the colour to yellow, and if you try to load it, it says:

Code: Select all

This savegame needs these wads:
G:\zdoombeta\zendyn_x.wad
The same thing happens if you do vice-versa.
Apparently it happens only with Zen Dynamics.

2)Load zendyn_x.wad (with or without zenblack.wad). If you save a game (without getting a high-explosive 20mm grenade) in one map, except map01 (apparently), zdoom exits with this message in the console:

Unknown object code (0) in archive
In every map, get a high-explosive 20mm grenade, then save the game. If you try to open it, the game exits with this error:

Expected to extract an object of type 'Inventory'.
Found one of type 'Grenade' instead.
After closing it gives me a crash report.

1) and 2) do not happen in Zdoom 2.3.1

I suppose those bugs are caused by some changes in savegame code or something.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(24.38 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by Edward-san on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Re: [r1???-r1926]Zen Dynamics bugs?

Post by Xaser »

I'm pretty sure the grenade problem is due to the fact that I used "Grenade" as an actor name, which ZDoom now defines internally (Skulltag's grenade).

The rest, however, sound incredibly strange. Zen's breaking the savegame buffer, is it? :P
Edward-san

Re: [r1???-r1964]Zen Dynamics bugs?

Post by Edward-san »

Those problems are still present in r1964.
Xaser can you please do me a favor? Could you release a fixed version to see if those problems still occurr? Just to see if those problems are zdoom related or not.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Both problems in case (2) are because of the multiply-defined Grenade. I always felt it was bad on principle to allow such things, but now I find out they break savegames. Does the internal grenade really need to be called "Grenade"? "STGrenade" seems better to me, since who knows how many existing ZDoom mods already used a generic "Grenade" name.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

STGrenade would be fine, or even a way to automatically replace the internally defined 'Grenade' if an external one is present (less likely though).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

randy wrote:Both problems in case (2) are because of the multiply-defined Grenade. I always felt it was bad on principle to allow such things, but now I find out they break savegames. Does the internal grenade really need to be called "Grenade"? "STGrenade" seems better to me, since who knows how many existing ZDoom mods already used a generic "Grenade" name.
Hm. Wouldn't it be a better solution then to internally rename the first item with that name? With the second definition present it's no longer accessible by name after all.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Actually, I was thinking of adopting a two-tiered naming approach like Unreal. Classes are divided into packages, and each class within a package must be uniquely named, but classes in separate packages can share names.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Yay! The two problems got away! Thank you very much! :wub: :wub:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ah, good to hear it worked out despite my laziness on contributing to the solution. :P

A question for Randy though: if this method is adopted (or is it already? Been gone a week), which actor will be chosen if I were to type "summon Grenade" on the console? I know it's not good practice to use duplicate names even if they're allowed now, but it's always good to know.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The last defined one of course, just as it is now.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”